scours in 5-6 months old calf !!

More
10 years 2 months ago #481784 by max2
If it were worms, the runs should have stopped by week later after worming.

If she is still quite small, you could take her to the vets. I have a dual cab 4wd with canopy and can fit 7 calves easily in the back.

You can rig up a temp. box made from 4 pallets in a trailer, but let the vets know you are coming. It certainly will be a saving on fees,.

Also look at the vets fees this way, its also teaching you something.

Money well spent I say. [^]

(now off to google yersinia, I have never heard of it before. Something I have learnt from your thread). thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481788 by katieb
What worm drench was used?

was it oral, injectable or pour on?

Did you weigh the calves before drenching?

Not all wormers treat all worms, different ones should be used at different times of the year

We have a drench program from my parents vet for the young stock. Sometimes the drench is oral, other times injectable, occassionally both for a triple drench

The only time pour on is used is on adult cattle or heifers close to calving

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #481789 by katieb

hillside;485563 wrote: Oh, and I was meant to say that the calf actually seems reasonably happy. She will run with the others, not not for as long, she follows them, she drinks well, her ears are not droopy, she is just skinny and has the runs. I am not trying to minimize this, I am just saying she seems ok in herself.

Whats her coat like?
What are the others coats like compared to hers?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #481790 by katieb

hillside;485557 wrote:
I am afraid I don't know what grass we have, good or bad, we haven't ever had anybody come out and tell us, didn't know we needed to.

I ment what is the feed quality like... this is different to knowing what the species are

Growing young stock need nice feed they can nibble the ends off, they shouldnt be being pushed to eat the grass right down

More
10 years 2 months ago #481791 by katieb

hillside;485557 wrote: I have contacted the owners last night and they were enquiring about vet fees. We have never had a vet out before, so we don't know. How much do the blood tests cost and the Vit B12? I will keep giving electrolytes until tomorrow which is when the owners can get in touch with the vet if they choose to.

Nearly all vets have an afterhours number that can be called to book a time for tomorrow

If the animal looks like its going to die its best to get the vet asap or take it to the vet(cheaper) & talk about options

Getting the vet sooner rather than later will make the bills cheaper in the long run & get the animal healthier before too much damage is done... think about people.....better to treat & diagnose a problem earlier rather than later when its worse & requires hospital treatment!

Also its not about choosing wether or not to get the vet...if the animal needs the vet then you either put it down humanely or get the vet

More
10 years 2 months ago #481793 by cowvet

katieb;485572 wrote: Nearly all vets have an afterhours number that can be called to book a time for tomorrow

If the animal looks like its going to die its best to get the vet asap or take it to the vet(cheaper) & talk about options

Getting the vet sooner rather than later will make the bills cheaper in the long run & get the animal healthier before too much damage is done... think about people.....better to treat & diagnose a problem earlier rather than later when its worse & requires hospital treatment!

Also its not about choosing wether or not to get the vet...if the animal needs the vet then you either put it down humanely or get the vet

Many duty vets do not have access to the clinic booking system when they are at home/covering emergencies. Best to ring the clinic during office hours to make a routine booking. Afterhours vets are there to cover the immediate emergencies.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 2 months ago #481811 by RaeM1
WE have had simular problems with a weaner we brought on 5th december, drenched it on the 6th,and on the 7th it fell down and was run over by the other 19 calves. We worked on her for several days, and she finally was able to get up by herself, without us lifting her using a rope under her belly, behind front legs, and infront of back legs, she was one of a group that were over the scales at 115 kgs,She was good for a while and then has gone backwards again, with the scours again, so got her blood tested for Bovine Viral D and she is clear, all the vet did was give her a long acting penicillan, and some ketol, he said that it was caused by lack of colustrum at birth, and so we are still struggling, with her, need to pick her up several times a day, and giving her ketol, mixing milk for her, (which I have to give with a wine bottle, as will not drink) she gets Agrisea as well, she now passes fairly thick droppings, she will not eat anything like mouslee, or balage, nor will her mate who is also not as good as the rest, so its just a time thing, and her time may be running out. She eats like a horse once we have her on her feet, but of course without any rain, the grass does not have a lot in it, we are grazing them both in 4 small paddocks with no other animals, and also our drive way which is quite long, and has a reasonable lot of grass. She is growing, but is not getting fatter, and having to pick her up each morning and during the day, mean that we cannot leave her for long. She has been drenched again, a week ago, plus another injection of B12, and it did not seem to make any difference to her, and now we wait!!

More
10 years 2 months ago #481815 by Flossie
Some on here may remember the hassle we had early last year with a calf who had a very high worm count and was down for 18 days. The advice & support from here was useful, vet said shoot her but we didn't, gave her drench, ketol, penicillin, moozle, baleage, water, massaged her legs several times a day, lifted the shelter over and off her day and night, had her over a hay bale, had her up in a sling and after 18 days she got back up. We have had no trouble since and she is healthy.

So good luck, hope you can get her right.

~Flossie~

More
10 years 2 months ago #481822 by hillside
Thank you again dear members. I have passed on your thoughts to the owner and she will have to decided where to take it from here. In the mean time I will continue to give her electrolytes before and after work and keep feeding out baleage. The grass isn't short, so should be ok. We have had animals on this land for about 14 years and have never had this problem before, so not sure why this is happening and also why only one is affected.
We gave them pour on, which the farmer gave us when we told him about our problem. We don't have scales here, so my husband just put on what the farmer recommended. The calf is drinking and eating alright, but is just super skinny, however, also seems quite happy in herself.
Her coat is a bit dull, not sure what that means.
Thank you again for caring and giving us this advice, I have passed it on to the owners.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481825 by max2

RaeM1;485598 wrote: WE have had simular problems with a weaner we brought on 5th december, drenched it on the 6th,and on the 7th it fell down and was run over by the other 19 calves. We worked on her for several days, and she finally was able to get up by herself, without us lifting her using a rope under her belly, behind front legs, and infront of back legs, she was one of a group that were over the scales at 115 kgs,She was good for a while and then has gone backwards again, with the scours again, so got her blood tested for Bovine Viral D and she is clear, all the vet did was give her a long acting penicillan, and some ketol, he said that it was caused by lack of colustrum at birth, and so we are still struggling, with her, need to pick her up several times a day, and giving her ketol, mixing milk for her, (which I have to give with a wine bottle, as will not drink) she gets Agrisea as well, she now passes fairly thick droppings, she will not eat anything like mouslee, or balage, nor will her mate who is also not as good as the rest, so its just a time thing, and her time may be running out. She eats like a horse once we have her on her feet, but of course without any rain, the grass does not have a lot in it, we are grazing them both in 4 small paddocks with no other animals, and also our drive way which is quite long, and has a reasonable lot of grass. She is growing, but is not getting fatter, and having to pick her up each morning and during the day, mean that we cannot leave her for long. She has been drenched again, a week ago, plus another injection of B12, and it did not seem to make any difference to her, and now we wait!!

I've had one like that as well, lack of colustrum cited as a possibly cause. Ended up growing ok, but the start wasn't easy.

I'm presuming you are using different drenches in case of worm resistence? We alternate between a pour on and an oral of difference brands and ingredients and that seems to keep on top of parasites quite well.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481827 by kai
for those like me who do not have cows and was wondering what BVD is
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_virus_diarrhea

More
10 years 2 months ago #481830 by katieb
My parents vet does not reccomend using pourons for calves as its not accurate. A couple weeks ago we were talking about pourons n he was saying theres been studies done where not al cows in a mob were doesed, due to the animals grooming each other the animals has injested different amounts of the pouron.

If the owner doesn't want the vet to come out you could take a fecal sample into the vets for testing which will help to establish the likelihood of a worm burden

More
10 years 2 months ago #481833 by Ruth

Ruth;485512 wrote: ...Have a look at this site for some good info: www.controlbvd.org.nz/

kai;485616 wrote: for those like me who do not have cows and was wondering what BVD is
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_virus_diarrhea

Did my link not help you? It would be good to know if it does/not explain well enough in lay terms.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481838 by kai

Ruth;485623 wrote: Did my link not help you? It would be good to know if it does/not explain well enough in lay terms.

If I had noticed it, it might have :D

More
10 years 2 months ago #481885 by RaeM1
We have picked her up three times today, and she does not seem to be any better even though once up on her feet she eats grass okay, she will not eat mooslee, or balage, even though we have tried forcing her to have it, so basically her time may be running out.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds