scours in 5-6 months old calf !!

More
10 years 2 months ago #37075 by hillside
Hello again,
It seems I only ever post when having problems, but one day if or when we should ever be able get broadband I shall be on here a lot more. At this point it's a bit of a frustrating task as it takes so long.

Anyway, we bought 3 weaned bobby calves in late Oct. Two of them are doing really well, the other one looks like it might pass away soon.
Two weeks ago I had noticed that she was looking a bit skinny, but did not realize how bad it was until she stood next to the other two. she is tiny in comparison! :( We wormed her last Saturday, but she still isn't perking up and she has the scours. I don't know if that has to do with worms, or if that is a seperate issue. They are not the most frienly calves, so catching her will be a bit of an issue.

Have you got any suggestions of what we can do ? Or do we need to wait longer for the wormer to take effect?

Please help. Oh and this calf isn't ours either, we have one and two other people have purchased on each. We feel really bad that this is happening, but just don't know where to go from here.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481731 by Ruth
BVD probably. You'll need to consult a vet, take bloods, check if she's Persistently Infected (i.e. got it before she was born, when her mother contracted it) and if she is the best option (according to your description of her condition) will be to put her down. Don't just leave her, they suffer pretty nastily.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481732 by Stikkibeek
Sounds like a shot of vitamin B would be money well spent. Also are you in a low or nil copper zone? Scours can be a symptom of copper deficiency also.
And then there's diseases like BVD

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #481733 by hillside
Never heard of BVD. I guess I will have to get in touch with the people that she belongs to, I had hoped that we would be able to get her right ourselves without having to get a vet in.
I guess Vit B is in injection form? Vet only? Or can I get it from Fruitfed, or CRT?
Thank you for your responses.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481734 by Ruth
Because the chances of BVD are significant, it would be sensible to check - a blood test would confirm.

Have a look at this site for some good info: www.controlbvd.org.nz/

More
10 years 2 months ago #481735 by Stikkibeek

hillside;485511 wrote: Never heard of BVD. I guess I will have to get in touch with the people that she belongs to, I had hoped that we would be able to get her right ourselves without having to get a vet in.
I guess Vit B is in injection form? Vet only? Or can I get it from Fruitfed, or CRT?
Thank you for your responses.

Injectable yes for Vitamin B. Think it's B12 but if you know your vet well, you should be able to get it from them to do yourself.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481736 by katieb
is the scour bubbly?

If so likly to be yersinia which is common in calves of that age

often follows periods of stress like weaning, being held in yards, trucked etc

Calf proberbly has droopy ears too

Give the vet a call asap as if it is it needs appropriate ABs today

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #481737 by katieb
unlikly to be worms if she is as bad as she sounds 1 week after drenching

what product did you use?

re catching her I assume since you have cattle you have yards you can herd them into
otherwise if shes feeling down she shouldnt be too hard to tackle
....my OH had to jab a jersey heifer calf in the paddock 3 or 4 weeks ago as it had yersinia...mob of 212 calves in a large hilly paddock about 1.5km from the yards....2 of us on horseback herded part of the mob into a corner & he tackled it to the ground & sat on it while we grabbed the spray can & ABs

we used long acting ABs & she was looking a lot happier the next day....ears perkier & belly full

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #481738 by katieb
Oh another question....whats the feed like they are on?

More
10 years 2 months ago #481740 by Ruth
What a team we are!!! :D

More
10 years 2 months ago #481743 by Stikkibeek
Comes with experience and wisdom! :p :D

More
10 years 1 month ago #481745 by muri
If I was the owner, I would definitely want to know that I had a sick calf.
It could need electrolytes as liquid replacement if it is scouring quite badly
You can give B12 orally, known as tectonic and I use it a lot on sheep that are scouring as it could be a cobalt deficiency which causes the scours.
In the interim, a mineral lick would help in the absence of anything else available until the owner is notified and decides what to do.
Certainly worth get onto it tho rather than leaving, especially if it is going down hill, or perhaps just not progressing.
Have you a friendly neighbour who has cattle who could help you in the interim until the vets open or the owner is contacted

More
10 years 1 month ago #481765 by cowvet
It looks like it is going to die? Chances are that it will unless you know what is wrong and treat specifically. My two biggies would be BVD and parasites.

BVD requires a blood test. Pointless doing anything else if it a BVD PI and you can humanely destroy it heifer it suffers any more.
Parasitism - rife at the moment . Lots if drench resistance so I would be making sure you used a combination drench with levamisole in it for a calf his age

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 1 month ago #481776 by hillside
Thank you so much for your replies.
I have given Electrolytes this morning, she didn't seem to know how to such on the special bottle we have for calves, so I tipped it in the trough. She did drink a whole lot of it.
They do have salt blocks available to them too, always have.
I am afraid I don't know what grass we have, good or bad, we haven't ever had anybody come out and tell us, didn't know we needed to.
I have contacted the owners last night and they were enquiring about vet fees. We have never had a vet out before, so we don't know. How much do the blood tests cost and the Vit B12? I will keep giving electrolytes until tomorrow which is when the owners can get in touch with the vet if they choose to.
I haven't seen that the scours are bubbly, will have a closer look next time. I just see it coming out fast, but it's still the same colour that it usually is.

More
10 years 1 month ago #481782 by hillside
Oh, and I was meant to say that the calf actually seems reasonably happy. She will run with the others, not not for as long, she follows them, she drinks well, her ears are not droopy, she is just skinny and has the runs. I am not trying to minimize this, I am just saying she seems ok in herself.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds