Where is the cheapest chicken wire in South Canterbury?

More
10 years 2 months ago #37022 by chrisgray
I want to chicken wire my entire orchard, I guestimate (will measure tonight) 90 metres. CRT seems to be best deal at $180 for 50m but anyone know of others?
Does the thickness of it matter? (only to keep poultry in)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481090 by kaiapoi-ken
Sounds a good deal to me. You got to weigh up how much you value your orchard. $360 for the job doesn't seem too excessive to me. If it's just to keep birds out or keep poultry in the thickness doesn't matter. I fenced off our grey water runoff area for the fowls and just bought a roll or two, not sure now, easy peasy as they say.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481096 by Deanna
Sounds a good price. We have only used bird netting. So probably will some day have to change it. How high is that?

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481102 by Flossie
Have you tried trade me? We got some from a guy near Methven from trade me, it was fine. Think it was 50m for about $130 .

~Flossie~

More
10 years 1 month ago #481121 by chrisgray
Thanks all, think I will get the stuff from CRT, slightly cheaper on TradeMe but there will be delivery I guess

More
10 years 1 month ago #481138 by Kiwi Tussock
May I make a suggestion here. I looked at wire netting some time ago and found that the cheapest looked ok but then when I saw the Aussie made material, it was WAY superior to the Chinese made stuff. It might be worth taking a look at the difference. I actually got mine from Steel & Tube in the end. It wasn't the cheapest but I sure as heck didn't want to see it rusting after a couple of years like the stuff (which was also Chinese but was in the Philippines)
Happy hunting.

More
10 years 1 month ago #481144 by RhodeRed
Careful what you ask for.

Cheap and cheerful don't always leave you cheerful.

I bought a roll of mesh to do around my garden and keep the chooks out from a place off trademe.

Turned out to be quite thin gauge wire (hence cheap) which rotted out and started fracturing within a year.

More
10 years 1 month ago #481148 by daerfamily
My chooks eventually broke through our netting, I can't remember what it was now, but they poke their heads through the holes and eventually the strain is too much for the netting!! I am going for thick heavy duty stuff now, or double netting.

More
10 years 1 month ago #481329 by igor
Do not be tempted to buy the cheapest. As others have suggested it may not be fit for purpose. Sometimes we are forced to do things cheap and half-arsed due to budget constraints but it is always with the knowledge that the job will need to be done again far sooner than if the budget had allowed it to be done right the first time.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds