Gotlands

More
10 years 3 months ago #36976 by Huntaway
Gotlands was created by Huntaway
Im trying to figure out when best to put the ram in with my girls and I read a post mentioning that Gotlands have a short season. I am interested to know more as I dont want to miss my opportunity. 2 are hoggets which may make them later anyway, though they are a good size. We are understocked so I am pretty sure we will have enough grass. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480684 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Gotlands
Put the ram in in april is best.
It depends if the gotlands are purebred or not, many sell gotlands on trade me that obviously arent so if you know if yours are purebred, their lambing season is sept/oct for ewes and late oct-dec for hoggets.
When were they born, do you know, which month?

More
10 years 3 months ago #480690 by Huntaway
Replied by Huntaway on topic Gotlands
Mmm yes, I'm hoping they are purebreds! From their size, what I was told etc I think most likely Jul/Aug born. The ram is Aug born too from a registered flock.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480702 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Gotlands
I put my ram (Stumpy) in late Feb usually .....might move it forward a little this year ...my lot are BaaBee Dolls[;)] >>>short southdown[;)] [:0] This timing generally sees us lambing late July onwards and we find that a good time as by the time the lambs are ready to eat a fair bit of grass the spring is sprung and growing it for us[^] ....also the worst weather tends to be late winter and early spring so most lambs are up and running by then ...now having said all that just watch it all go pear shape[}:)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 3 months ago #480707 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Gotlands

Huntaway;484352 wrote: Im trying to figure out when best to put the ram in with my girls and I read a post mentioning that Gotlands have a short season. I am interested to know more as I dont want to miss my opportunity. 2 are hoggets which may make them later anyway, though they are a good size. We are understocked so I am pretty sure we will have enough grass. Cheers

I have been breeding Gotlands since 2005.

Years ago, before I knew any better, I ran my ram with the girls all year. I had two ewes who, having had triplets in September, popped out singles in the following February. (Which meant that they came into season again about 6 weeks post-partum.) One of those ewes went on to have twins in the following October.

Several Gotland breeders have told me since that they have had the same experience, and its obvious that Gotlands can breed all year round, given the chance.

I wouldn't worry too much about them having a short season. :)

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 3 months ago #480715 by Huntaway
Replied by Huntaway on topic Gotlands
lol Megan, that would be a good way of increasing my stock faster!

More
10 years 3 months ago #480721 by muri
I have run Gotland rams with my sheep and have never had out of season lambs. Always sept and the latest the end of Nov.
Purebred gotlands are not out of season breeders normally but there is a lot of stock that passes as gotlands that are not full blooded. none of the other breeders i know have out of season lambs either and I havent really heard of that happening with the gotlands
Huntaway, just leave your ram in with the lambs if you have a small block, its hard keeping a ram separate sometimes

More
10 years 3 months ago #480724 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Gotlands
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showt...20&highlight=Gotland

Post#7 from Inger

"Our Wiltshire ram lambs aren't fertile at 4 months (can't say the same for Gotlands), but by 6 months the ram lambs are ready for work.

Our Wiltshire ewes only cycle in Autumn. Gotlands on the other hand can cycle twice a year. We've had a Gotland ewe produce a lamb twice in one year, Jan and then again in Oct."

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 3 months ago #480732 by muri
There may be different lines of gotlands then as have never had that experience whatsover
a lot of mine came from the original flock imported to NZ from Sweden and kept together in south auckland until disbanded several years ago
without papers or documentation, you can never know how pure your stock is.
My cross bred lambs this year look like purebred but I know they are not as my foundation stock for this group were suffolk.
I have seen 'gotlands' advertised on trade me that are pure white, that have horns and other characteristics not part of the breed.
Am happy to be corrected by other peoples experiences even if they are the opposite of mine

More
10 years 3 months ago #480794 by chocolatewoolnz
Replied by chocolatewoolnz on topic Gotlands

muri;484409 wrote: I have seen 'gotlands' advertised on trade me that are pure white, that have horns and other characteristics not part of the breed.
Am happy to be corrected by other peoples experiences even if they are the opposite of mine

The 'modern' Gotland breed was developed in part from the gute, the horned native breed to Sweden. I have visited Gotland myself, and there they call the improved Gotland sheep 'Pelts' and the native Gute as the 'Gotland'. Therefore it is possible to get horns in 'modern' Gotlands, although that is very rare (due to selective breeding over a long time). I have only came across one line (pure) here in NZ with horns in the last 16 years since I have been breeding them. I visited a number of stud Gotland breeders in Gotland, a very interesting experience. Especially, since they do nothing with the wool when I have had the wool exported to different countries. Even to Russia, much closer to Gotland than NZ.

Muri you are correct in that trademe often has gotland x listed. There are also pure Gotlands, but the genetic quality is very variable as breeders should be selecting on constitution, wool quality, health problems, fertility etc. However, from my experience not all lifestyle owners do this.

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

More
10 years 3 months ago #480994 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Gotlands
I'm on a Gotland Sheep group on Facebook with a whole lot of breeders worldwide but mostly from Gotland & Sweden. They laughed at me when I called them Gotland Pelts! They told me that they're only ever referred to as 'Gotlands' there but that they are a 'pelt' breed as in, bred for their pelts as opposed to being dairy or meat sheep.

These folks show their sheep & I've picked up a few things from them re: breed standards & what we should be looking for. Mine are all registered so I know I have as purebred as possible & I can make sure I'm not breeding related animals. I've only had one lambing season so far & given that experience, I'm not sure I will ever do it again but I can at least be sure that what I have bred is a reasonable example of the breed. [B)][;)]

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds