When technology goes bad...crippling!

More
10 years 3 months ago #36975 by reggit
My less than a year old laptop died on Saturday morning, and when you are dependent on the darned things for work, keeping in touch, and researching stuff, it is mind-bogglingly frustrating...especially also when you are on the road and hard to get it taken in for assessment and sort out what has to be done!

So far have been to three Noel Leemings, two Laptop Companies (they are the Toshiba authorised repair outfit) and now it's sitting waiting for assessment.

I keep hearing how slow Toshiba is to get parts shipped...and the poor lady at Noel Leemings in Oamaru spent over an hour on hold trying to get through to the Toshiba helpline - which is in Aussie and only opens Aussie hours - with no joy; her intention was to get them to write it off and replace the thing asap.

So pretty much enforced leave apart from when I can get online elsewhere or borrow other peoples machines...and most don't have the programmes I need to use...

Sigh...

So for my friends out there who haven't heard from me, that's why. I can pick emails up every now and then through my iPod, when I can get wifi, but painfully annoying to send messages through it and as I don't have anyone's email addresses loaded to this, I am stuck until they first email me so I can reply!

Technology is a wonderful thing when its working, but at times like this you realise how incredibly dependent on it we have become - and how big the yawned gap is when we can't access it...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480681 by Kilmoon
The price of laptops now days equals how long you can expect them to last. As its a Toshiba I'm surprised you got this long out of it.

If you are going to get a new one, look for an Asus - basically the best, they spend the $ on better quality components. Or if two different brands are at the same price go for the one with the lower hard drive...you can easily upgrade to a larger drive, and it (hopefully) implies that they spent the $ on better components for the rest of its guts.

Good luck, and don't expect them to last more than a year or two now. Welcome to the throw away society.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480688 by kai

Kilmoon;484349 wrote: The price of laptops now days equals how long you can expect them to last. As its a Toshiba I'm surprised you got this long out of it.

I disagree, Toshiba is one of the more reliable makes.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480689 by Stikkibeek
It's happening everywhere. We bought a Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer precisely because they assured us that parts were well covered. It's now 6 weeks we have been without our fridge and it's summer! And yes, once again the parts distributor for Australasia is in Ozzy!
They assure us they will have the part in by the end of February!
On the other hand,
My mother's old HP laptop is still going strong after about 10 years!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 3 months ago #480692 by max2
Do what I have done in the past and order the parts yourself rather than go through various suppliers.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480701 by zellakanzx

Kilmoon;484349 wrote:
If you are going to get a new one, look for an Asus - basically the best,

that is so far from objective it almost doesn't warrant an answer.
while there are certainly good asus models, i would not rank them collectively as "the best" by any measure.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 3 months ago #480718 by kai
One reason, I always keep at least one old laptop, so if the "new" one dies, there is a geriatric one to do the basics.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480734 by Kilmoon
For those dissing Asus - you get what you pay for, and Toshiba are shit in my opinion, while your opinion is that Asus are shit. Fair enough. Buy a laptop made by each (and the expensive version not their cheap versions designed to get a customer hooked in) and see which lasts the longest with the least hassles. I'll take Asus over Toshiba or any other brand any day.

Modern laptops are not made to last more than 2-3yrs. My old Acer (was about 15yrs old) finally gave up the battle last year...no modern laptop will get anywhere near that, they are not made too anymore.

Basically, you get what you pay for, and manufacturers have cheap prices (due to crap components) for a reason: suck you in, then f**k you over a year or two later when it dies. They want ongoing customers every year, not ones that will rave about their long-lasting item and not buy again for a decade or two.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480748 by reggit
Well, I expect any laptop to last longer than a year - and this wasn't a cheap one either...I have to have a fair bit of grunt to run all the programmes I need and hold all the data.

A lot of folk don't like Dell computers, but the one I had from them lasted five years without a hiccup - the only thing that killed it was me spilling coffee all over it, and even then, it kept working until the keyboard seized!

The problem with even keeping a 'geriatric' one is I don't replace until the existing one is dying - who can afford to keep upgrading every year? - and as am on the road, there isn't really room to be carrying two laptops 'just in case' anyway - as well as keeping two loaded for internet and with anti-virus etc.

If I'd bought a cheapie low spec perhaps I wouldn't be surprised, but this wasn't.

If something like this dies under warranty, I expect in the least a loan one to see me through for repairs.

What has frustrated me most about all this is each Noel Leemings had a different story of what I needed to do/what they can do about it, and Toshiba's help line, based in Aussie, is useless. Tried again to get through yesterday and it told me to call back during working hours - even though I was calling during those hours (Australian time, I checked all that!)

There is no NZ number for Toshiba.

I can only hope the authorised repair place can sort it asap, but not holding my breath.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 3 months ago #480751 by kai
If it is under warranty and they cannot repair it within a suitable time, I believe you are entitled to a new one.
Many years in the UK, I took my few months old laptop back as if you took the battery out it lost the time a date settings. At the time it had a habit of crashing, so taking the battery out was often the only solution and having to reset the clock every time was a major hassle due to the nature of work I was doing. Anyway I took it back twice for the same fault. The second time they managed to mislay my computer after a couple of weeks I said this is not on. They agreed, gave me a choice of a new one for the same price as I paid for the old one, in the few months, prices had drastically dropped and they also had one on special so I ended up with a major upgrade.

My geriatric one is quite a few years old, the battery has now life left in it, but otherwise fine. The reason for upgrading was that it will not run office 2012 and compare to my new one, felt very slow. You don't have to lug two around with you all the time, I am sure that you must have some stuff in storage somewhere, it can stay there until you need it. You don't need to have subscriptions to antivirus, use AVG free which is good and has not failed me yet.

You can store stuff in the cloud so if the worst comes to the worst, you will always have access to your files. You do not always have to be connected to the internet in order to work, you can just sync them when ever you are within broadband/wifi region (some phone boxes these days can do that for you for free).

More
10 years 3 months ago #480752 by John M
If you're fed up with lemons, try apples :)

(donning camo and ducking for cover now)

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
10 years 3 months ago #480802 by kindajojo
Lol my iPhone , iPad and (..insert well known Ibrand) desk top computer Are like my second family......they don't talk to each other either.
Blue tooth....more like lost dentures at this end...and the annoying autocorrect is like having old aunt agatha with Tourette's.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480807 by kai
hillarious

More
10 years 3 months ago #480849 by igor
Apple is a fruit John. Many of us prefer proper computers.

More
10 years 3 months ago #480865 by ccrk9
Same here. Our HP Compac laptop died in under a year. HP were very very good I have to say, except they couldn't understand why I simply wouldn't pack it up and post it to the repair people - as if I wanted it bouncing around rural delivery then courier post. When you buy from Dick Smith as we did they advise if you take it back to them they will charge a service fee to send it to HP and that if there is a problem its better to deal with HP direct so we decided to go direct

So as we are an hour out of Wellington we drove down to the repair place and dropped it off. Within 7 days it had a new hard drive and was ready to be sent back - although we did go collect it.

And as we are sensible, we had backed everything up so did loose any data

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds