bee removel

More
10 years 2 months ago #36936 by smokendark
bee removel was created by smokendark
hi there just wondering weather somebody had a contact for removing bees, i know someone in the te kauwhata area that has a swarm in the cowshed, needs to be removed as soon as possible, dont want them killed..Thought id seen someone in these forums before???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480435 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic bee removel
Jump on bees.net.nz

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
10 years 2 months ago #480459 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic bee removel
phone a local apiarist

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480467 by smokendark
Replied by smokendark on topic bee removel
hi there she's already phoned 2 apiarist but they've both said they'll just come in and kill them not take the swarm away live..Not sure why they do this, veroa mite maybe??

More
10 years 2 months ago #480474 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic bee removel
Kill them!! That seems a waste when bees are so at risk.Couldn't they transfer to a hive with queen retainers so the swarm doesn't take off again, treat them on site for however long it takes to ensure they are healthy and then remove them at night?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #480475 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic bee removel
Shame, for the price some places charge to remove, one could buy a new empty hive and get them into it. I wonder what they are on, a beam or something? I guess varroa is a concern, and the treatments takes weeks.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480478 by Aquila
Main concern at this time of year is that there are very few flowers left so the swarm would need feeding through winter and they don't have much chance of building enough reserves of their own. If you were in Canterbury I'd be interested

More
10 years 2 months ago #480479 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic bee removel

smokendark;484094 wrote: hi there she's already phoned 2 apiarist but they've both said they'll just come in and kill them not take the swarm away live..Not sure why they do this, veroa mite maybe??

laziness and colony disruption.
Is there a big chunk of bees somewhere? Hanging off something?
Depending what, suit up, grab a wheelie bin or other suitable recepticle, place bin under, hack at the top so it falls/ cut off whatever theyre on.
Take somewhere youd rather have bees and open the lid.
Evening probably best, they wont be happy about it.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480480 by Aquila
Suit up? Problem is nobody concerned is a beekeeper.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480481 by Aquila
Its not laziness, it costs money to feed bees from this time of year through winter till spring

More
10 years 2 months ago #480483 by Deanna
Bees in a swarm don't get angry, they are loaded with honey and unable to sting. They just want to be where the queen is. So when you knock them into an open top hive and bung the frames back in and shut the lid the rest will crawl into the hive threw the door to get with their queen. But yes they will need feeding straight away if the frames were empty, its not as easy as some would think.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480487 by Aquila
At this time of year, you'd be feeding it till September if you wanted it to survive. Bees aren't as endangered as some people believe so the odd swarm killed isn't the end of the world

More
10 years 2 months ago #480488 by muri
Replied by muri on topic bee removel

Deanna;484112 wrote: Bees in a swarm don't get angry, they are loaded with honey and unable to sting. They just want to be where the queen is. So when you knock them into an open top hive and bung the frames back in and shut the lid the rest will crawl into the hive threw the door to get with their queen. But yes they will need feeding straight away if the frames were empty, its not as easy as some would think.

ths is not strictly true. When they initially swarm then this holds. If they have been there several days then they are no longer full of honey and could have quite a different attitude today than they had yesterday

More
10 years 2 months ago #480492 by Deanna
So true Muri. Sorry I wasn't thinking about how long they had been there.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480503 by igor
Replied by igor on topic bee removel
If you don't have a proper bee keeper's suit and helmet just use normal zip front overalls with welding gloves or motorcycle gloves and a full face motorcycle helmet. Make sure that you put the legs of the overalls outside your gumboots and tie tightly with string so bees can't fly up your leg. Pull the gloves on over your sleeves and tie as for the legs. A thick scarf or two can be useful for keeping the bees off your neck. You will need to seal the pocket access holes in the overalls with bale tape or similar. DO NOT WEAR BLUE. IT ATTRACTS BEES.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds