Lining a Barn - ideas?

More
10 years 2 months ago #480270 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?

zellakanzx;483842 wrote:

You could line it with bitu paper. You could line it with insufoil and chicken wire.

We inherited a huge woolshed and the roof was lined with an insulated foil-faced stuff. However, the bird have found spaces all over the place that they could squeeze through and nest between the roof and the lining, and now the lining hangs in tatters like upside down kelp. I would love to replace it with ply or something but the logistics of doing it at our age and the cost puts us off. I sure would like to do something with it because the bare places get condensation on them which drips off. By the way, chicken wire doesn't seem to stop the birds - I notice when I pick up stockfeed from Fiskens that they have the bird problem too, and they have chicken wire. The chicken wire just seems to make a nice hammock to move the nest along a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480273 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?
Our big shed was fully lined with some sort of white fibre/paper. No condensation at all. On the ceiling of our new big shed, the builders put wire netting like finish sheep netting. They don't use chicken wire any more under building regulations for builds higher than two metres as it isn't strong enough to stop a roofer falling right through.
No wire on the sides, it is held in place by the external cladding.
Although tek screws will self drill, it is still better to pre drill a pilot hole first.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #480276 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?
Make sure you do use building paper, this is a must regards condensation. Silver may be ok on the ceiling to help insulate but I seem to remember it has to be black in the walls, to do with allowing the wall to "breathe", check with manufacturers or any builder.

Check the gap you will have between the coloursteel wall and where your lining will close it in. Batts etc need a certain space to be effective and the space you have may be too cramped to allow this. You can fix wooden battening to the girts, the steel nogs, with tek screws to create the required space for effective insulation. These battens also allow for extra fixing for the lining. Wallboard glue will be very useful to help the teks.

Ply would be better that Gib if the use is for livestock, easier and less expensive to repair / replace.

Make sure any electrical wiring you need is completed before closing in the walls [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 2 months ago #480283 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?
The main problem I see with batts and steel cladding in contact with one another is that any condensation on the steel will wet the batts, the batts will hold the water, and the steel will stay wet resulting in premature rusting. This where the air gap needs to be.
I would not consider using glue to fix lining boards as it then becomes impossible to remove them without destroying them.
I prefer to run electrical cabling on the face of the wall so it is easily accessed for alterations if necessary. Obviously any cabling within reach of animals must be protected from chewing.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480287 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?

igor;483888 wrote: The main problem I see with batts and steel cladding in contact with one another is that any condensation on the steel will wet the batts, the batts will hold the water, and the steel will stay wet resulting in premature rusting. This where the air gap needs to be.
I would not consider using glue to fix lining boards as it then becomes impossible to remove them without destroying them.
I prefer to run electrical cabling on the face of the wall so it is easily accessed for alterations if necessary. Obviously any cabling within reach of animals must be protected from chewing.

Any electrical wiring that is exposed, has to be in conduit, thereby increasing costs. If it is tucked in behind ply, which is screwed to the girders etc, then it is still easy to access. I wouldn't glue either Igor.
Our house which is largely brick clad, has that silver lined/black backed stuff between the bricks and the frame. Black side faces bricks. We recently gutted our kitchen and after repairing the rat holes with 500 mph tape in the insulation paper, we put sound proof insulation batts in before replacing the gib. Lovely warm kitchen :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #480289 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?

Stikkibeek;483877 wrote: Our big shed was fully lined with some sort of white fibre/paper.

that's building wrap. semi permeable membrane and designed for wooden framing, 30mm air gap and then brick veneer.
i've seen it used under steel weatherboard, though not in the long term, i think it is approved for it, though.

also, for tek screws you will need a good driver, impact or drill with repeatable torque.
my 18v lion bosch (green, even) does them no worries.

minimum airgap for most breeds of insu fluff is 150. given your uprights are likely to be no more than that D.... not really an option.

for birds under foil paper, buy your kids a slug gun.

the chicken mesh does need to provide structure, ie, be taught across the span, any sags will accumulate moisture/runoff and, as you know, attract tweeties.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 2 months ago #480299 by meadowlands
Replied by meadowlands on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?
Fantastic feedback, thank you.
Yes Totalspan put paper in the roof, white, haven't had any condensation problems.
Going to contact the builder that did a great job of the stalls and see if he will quote to do the lining.
Nice to have some ideas before I contact hime to see if we're on the same wave length.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480337 by lars arsbjorn
hello returning back with happy thinking for more idea use of bales of straw covering hence with lime (not fruit!!!!)

thabj you for reading

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
10 years 2 months ago #480341 by meadowlands
Replied by meadowlands on topic Lining a Barn - ideas?
Thank you for the straw idea :)

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds