When will my brown shavers lay?

More
10 years 4 months ago #36863 by Morgs
Hi there, any advice please on when my Brown Shavers will lay, very happy free range cooks with a very nice covered coop and comfy relaxed surroundings. We received them as 5 day old chickens 1st of Sept 2013. Do we still have a bit off a wait our our hand? I have heard they can lay from 16 weeks. Thanks. Em

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479642 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic When will my brown shavers lay?
They should be laying around now! Have their combs started to redden up and grow a bit bigger? Can you post photos?

Can you pick them up and feel how much space there is between the two pin bones which stick out either side of their vents. These widen from being about one finger width apart to 3 finger widths apart, in the last 4 weeks before they lay.
They also drop the pointed juvenile flight feathers in their wings as they mature and they should all be rounded and new, by now, perhaps maybe except the last one or two.
Are you feeding them a layer feed ad lib-e.g. free access to eat as much as they like?

Commercial layers like Shavers and Hylines have small appetites and are feed efficient with the right type of feed. They don't do as well on bulky household,scraps and grass, so what they eat needs to be high quality.
They need a layer feed of at least 16% protein, preferably 18%. Being underweight for their age can also delay maturity.

The other factor which will be slowing them down is that we are now past the shortest day by 5 weeks and with the days getting shorter, even though we ourselves hardly notice. it will be affecting the rate at which they become sexually mature and starting to lay.
With any luck once they do start they should lay right through winter. Just check there are not mites in their coop, or they could be a bit anaemic.

Here is a link to the Shaver management guides where you can find details of what to expect in the way of weight for age etc.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479690 by Deanna
Mine laid at 25 weeks, which apparently was late, but exactly when the egg farm said they would.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 4 months ago #480387 by Morgs
Hi there, our shavers have started laying! Small first eggs, we have 4 hens. First day was 3 eggs and now only 1 a day. I'm sure it will get more consistent. Emma

More
10 years 4 months ago #480388 by Deanna
Awesome, on a roll now! Exciting aye! Doesn't take long for the size to increase. And the odd double Yoker to appear.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds