Is your land as dry as last summer?

More
10 years 4 months ago #479392 by wandering free
We're watering at the moment before the wind gets up and undoes all the good it will do, we have had the rain but then the cold days and wind have played havoc. We've had a vegetable garden for the best part of 45 years in New Zealand and never seen such miserable looking tomatoes, but to compensate the brussels sprouts and broccoli love the colder weather we have had this summer, if only it would stop blowing so much, maybe summer is around the corner.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479435 by hilldweller
We're having a wet summer. I haven't seen any hay being made around here at all this season. The current 10 day forecast has rain or showers on seven of the ten days so it's not going to be any time soon. Was expecting to send the 2yo cattle to the works pretty smartly after Christmas but with the grass going mad they've got a reprieve for a few weeks at least as I need them to keep the grass under control ahead of the lambs. Did a bit of topping at the weekend too.

hilldweller

More
10 years 4 months ago #479439 by muri
What a difference around the country side.
Since oct 17 we have had 75 mls, 5mls of which has been since new year
Supposed to be having rain now but all we are getting is strong wind again

More
10 years 4 months ago #479443 by stephclark
the difference between you and are are startling as well..we are only about 30km apart.. we were out your way ( beach ) on the weekend and couldn't believe how dry it was on the drive out..
as for rain.. it chucked down at mine all last night and was pissiting till about mid day..

sorry to sound smug[;)].. hope the westerlies don't blow you share off

More
10 years 4 months ago #479451 by Ruth
We're not dry at the moment and neither am I, having miscalculated when to go out and sneak a peak at my cows. Sodden, I was. It's just light drizzle, though wetting with a breeze, so far about 13mm or so.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479453 by muri
You shouldnt have told me that Steph, we would be 10km apart as the crow flies. Some drizzle for a bit but not enough to record any rain nor put water in the tank or green the pasture, just strong wind

More
10 years 4 months ago #479456 by robbie88
January 2014 rainfall is similar to 2013 but expecting something significant over the next two days.
We got the hay in on Saturday so feeling a lot more comfortable but time will tell.

Rob

More
10 years 4 months ago #479490 by mikethebike
the takapau desert is looking dry was ok up til about a week ago but the wind has sucked it dry fingers crossed for some decent rain, but we are at least 2months ahead of last year when we were feeding out in december!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479491 by mikethebike
hey mike how those pigs doing?

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 4 months ago #479569 by mc2631
good Mike Peggy farrowed 8 while we were in Australia unfortunately 2 died but she had 6 and we weaned them off on the 27th December
little Peggy is going well too
how's your block going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
10 years 4 months ago #479577 by muri
We had 3.5mls this week, a total now of 13mls since Xmas, hasnt even touched the ground, its even drier than before the rain after three days of horrific winds

More
10 years 4 months ago #479578 by Ruth
We had about 30. Thankfully!

More
10 years 4 months ago #479579 by Sue
We had 20mm yesterday, that makes 106mm since Jan 1st. No its not dry, but the ground is still pretty hard. What was that about doing hay after Christmas when the weather is more dependable?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 4 months ago #480046 by muri
just got our first rain of the year, apart from a few drizzle patches a week or so ago. 35mls this arvo but all the hills around us are as brown as last summer.
Amazing though digging around in the garden, its still bone dry 10cm into a mulch bed

More
10 years 4 months ago #480069 by max2
15mm yesterday, quite a nice drop.

We got our hay in Saturday night. Finished about 11pm. Really should have been done before christmas but Jim the weatherman kept lying to us. [;)] Third year running we lost that window of opportunity, not going to watch the weather on the news anymore when we want more exact details.

Timely rain nevertheless. I planted some mexican orange blossom along our post and rail on Sat. morning and the ground was as dry as. Will follow up with the watering can.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds