Is your land as dry as last summer?

More
10 years 3 months ago #36830 by muri
Just looking at the dying patches of grass and the cracks opening.
We have had more rain than last summer but then heaps more wind, its been relentless for days from the west and just sucking out all the moisture.
I think the ground looks dryer now than last january
Where did people find the soil moisture levels last year as I wonder how they compare

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479226 by kai
It chucked it down with rain all over xmas, it has dried out now, but no cracks and the grass is still bright green and way too long. But then we didn't have drought last year.

More
More
10 years 3 months ago #479238 by tonic
Nope, we have had rain at night occasionally, good downpours. Last year we had had none for months and were dried out, this year we have ample grass and still growing. OH commented that there are no cracks in the ground, which we usually get in a normal summer.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479239 by max2
I think where we are is doing better than this time last year. I still have paddocks of upcoming grass (topped just before that last lot of rain 10 days or so ago) that I am able to rotate.

I have more stock (unintentionally) on the property too. This time last year (and a bit earlier) we were feeding the girls on overgrown carrots pulled (with permission) by the tractor bucket full from the nearby market gardens and started feeding out hay in February.

We are due for more rain on Monday so plan on topping two further used paddocks tomorrow.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479240 by Tui Ridge
We are dry but nothing like last year, we still have slow growth - every few days we get 2-3ml of rain with the occasional heavier every couple of weeks.

We are starting to get a few minor cracks but in general we are still green and the other side of the farm (where the big cows and the sheep are) is still long and even if we get no more rain / growth for a couple of months it will do the cows and sheep for a good while.

We were also feeding out hay by Feb last year and had already topped up the tank once - it still hasn't got below 1/2 yet :)

oh and i've been watching that low heading for us for the last week - we should get a good soaking monday / tuesday - please!!!! :D

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
10 years 3 months ago #479253 by Stikkibeek
No, we have green grass. last summer it was dry dust. But......we have run out of farm tank water, so it's down to tracking pipelines.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 3 months ago #479254 by Denneaux
Have never seen so much rain (or mud) during summer!

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
10 years 3 months ago #479261 by jsmum
Grass everywhere. I reduced numbers in case it was dry again and now I can't see the sheep

More
10 years 3 months ago #479329 by muri
I would say that my place is a lot dryer than this time last year.
A lush paddock of clover and rye last week has turned into flat clover leaves and brown patches with cracks, in this short space of time.
Because we get the westerly and it has been blowing probably for the last two weeks it has sucked out all the moisture. We didnt have cracks like this last january, it took about until mid to late feb to get this dry
We often see rain all around and it misses us, all the surrounding hills in the last week have changed from green to brown.
Lets hope something comes of this tail end of the cyclone - rain wise - but they do have the ability to dissipate or change direction and already less rain is being predicted than it was earlier

More
10 years 3 months ago #479340 by max2
I've been in Aussie for nearly a week and noticed the difference between when I left to now. Its certainly browned off but I think its rather later than usual.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479358 by Aria
Pretty good for us in the hills overlooking Palmy - hot days but always a nice breeze. Will welcome the rain we're supposed to get on Tuesday, however.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479372 by stephclark
Muri..I have noticed our valley is browning off.. probably abit later than last year, but certainly happy to see the rain today ..
we have more tank water than this time last year, still green grass ( we have a lot of shade trees and mainly get southerlies ), but the soil is like concrete

More
10 years 3 months ago #479377 by Kilmoon
Summer....whats that? Its been cold and wet down here, and we have several trees that believe we are in Autumn. One, an elm near the house so I see it every time I look out the window, is starting its Autumn colour change - we've had visitors comment on it. Another (I don't know what type) also near the house is already half denuded...though the wind probably hasn't helped.

Our paddocks are green and lush, and no cracks have appeared at all, while cracks that were there back in October have closed up again.

More
10 years 3 months ago #479383 by mc2631
Not even close to last year our paddocks look the same as the first month of spring last year a few cracks but last year by the end of spring was all cracked up with brown grass every where about 30-50cm tall where we didn't even graze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds