American Bison in New Zealand

More
10 years 3 months ago #36769 by RebelCelt
Does anyone know of anyone currently raising Bison in New Zealand? I'd like to talk with them if at all possible! Let me know and thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478635 by kindajojo
I believe there are a couple of herds around Auckland, the cheese shop at Pokeno does a bullalo cheese...very nice.
Lol do you speak Bison......

Oops Clevedon buffaloe cheese are water buffalo not the American Bison buffalo

More
10 years 3 months ago #478636 by greenfingers
There's a small herd at Hamilton Zoo and a calf was born late last year. They may know of others in New Zealand.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 3 months ago #478637 by igor
Replied by igor on topic American Bison in New Zealand
Some years ago I visited a park near Hanmer Springs that had some.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478638 by feedqueen
yes there is a breeder out down North Eyre road, Canterbury. Dave Free is his name.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478642 by kiwilassee
There are some buffalo on Hauraki Road in Turua - not sure if they're water buffalo or bison ... just passed Turua on the right (driving in the way to Thames). I did a quick google but nothing came up... if anyone is down that way, do they know anymore?

More
10 years 3 months ago #478647 by katieb
have you checked the rarebreeds site for a list of breeders?

What would you like to know about them as I know a little about them

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 3 months ago #478652 by muri
Replied by muri on topic American Bison in New Zealand
Yes they have been advertised on Trade me from time to time, am sure if you googled bison for sale on trade me something could well come up

More
10 years 3 months ago #478671 by LongRidge
They are or were being bred for meat up the road from us, but ultra-strong cattle yards had to be built, and I think that they were too stroppy to be taken to a licenced killing facility. You cannot sell meat unless the animals (any animals) have been killed and processed in facilities with appropriate licences. So before looking for the animals, work out if you have enough spare cash and water to erect a meat works.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds