Deer as Pets

More
10 years 2 months ago #36685 by preciouspaws
Deer as Pets was created by preciouspaws
Hi
Just wondered if anyone has any experience with raising young deer as pets. From what I have read..briefly..to farm them needs intensive care but I remember going to see someone on a farm and he had 2 young deer playing on his back lawn..very cute.
I understand they are flighty but if they are pets do they need the deer fencing? If there is one of them do they bond with other animals( sheep, calves, ponies)and are happy like that? Do they like lots of bush like in the wild?
We have 13 acres , hilly and have 2 ponies, 4 calves, 1 ram, 6 ewes who all lambed this year, 4 chooks and I am a Vet Nurse and have lived on farms, so not totally ignorant but not much experience with deer.
Thanks for any comments or experience

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #477792 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Deer as Pets
I would think they would need deer fencing to stop them wandering, a normal fence is nothing to a wild deer, they can jump it from a standing start no worries.
I have heard that wild deer are quite happy grazing with cattle but don't like sheep, so a tame one may bond with cattle.
Fallow deer are more grazers than browsers, but red deer are farmed on pasture so you shouldn't need to have them in a bush area.

More
10 years 2 months ago #477793 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Deer as Pets
Hi preciouspaws,

No ifs or buts, if you keep deer, you definitely need proper deer fencing.

You need handling facilities for TB testing or for other veterinary attention. NAIT registration, etc.

Deer, sheep and cattle share some diseases eg Johnes Disease, BVD, etc so you will need to be careful that you do not bring in sheep or cattle that are carrying diseases that will make your deer very sick or dead.

Deer can be VERY flighty, and if panicked, can easy run flat out straight into the deer fence (bad for the fence and can be very bad for the deer). Deer are very strong for their size and they are fast and they kick hard.

During the roar, a tame stag in hard antler can be VERY dangerous [:0].
Either get the vet to either castrate him (permanent fix and if done at a young enough age he will never grow antlers) or each year get the vet to remove his antlers before the roar - he will still be stroppy, but won't be as well "armed".

Hinds with young fawns (if you are going to breed deer?) can also be very dangerous - to attack they usually stand up on their back legs and kick/stomp down with their front hooves (which are quite sharp).

Cheers

More
10 years 2 months ago #477801 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Deer as Pets
Yes you need deer fencing, you need to have them TB tested so need safe handling facilities as they need to have a patch clipped on their neck for the jab.

To keep Red deer you need a permit

Tame deer often dont respect peoples boundries & can try to jump on people or bite....someone my parents know had a pet hind who knocked the wife clean over,

Last week I also witnessed a friendly red hind grab someones bush shirt on her shoulder & lift it up & broke her bra strap about a min after I said "I wouldnt be sitting down here ...you might want to stand up before she tries to jump on you or something" as she was sitting trying to get one of the others that wasnt very friendly to sniff her hand.

They are also capable of biting other animals

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #477802 by katieb
I must say though fawns are very cute! & are born at the moment

Fallow fawns about knee height(if that) when born...ill try & get a photo

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 2 months ago #477803 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Deer as Pets
We raised an orphan fawn when I was a child on a deer farm. My parents said that if it had been a stag it would have been put down not raised as they are dangerous, I imagine just like hand raised rams or bulls but much faster and with very sharp hooves.

When she was older she wiped out Mums roses so was sent back into the deer herd behing deer fencing and spent the next year or so pacing the fence calling out whenever she saw us... it was sad. She was eventually sent to a petting park where she was with other tame deer and had people visit and feed through the fence. She never adjusted to being with other animals but always wanted to be with people.

When handling the deer in yards/sheds Dad had a deer rear up and front hoof him in the head, cut his scalp right open! He always wore a horse riding helmet when handling them after that.

Fawns are beyond gorgeous but I would not consider them safe/good pets, would never keep a pet stag, and if they don't work out it can be a sad life for them living alone if they think they are people.

More
10 years 2 months ago #477807 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Deer as Pets
Our cattle are very afraid of the fallow deer around here, and panic when the deer get into the paddock. These deer have also been suspected of stomping on new-born lambs. I would not allow a pet deer to bond with the sheep, but it might be ok with the cattle.
When cattle learn how, they can jump a cattle-height fence from standing. Your deer will teach your cattle to do this unless you raise your fence height.

More
10 years 2 months ago #477808 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Deer as Pets
Another vote for noor be very, very careful. I have seen a few pet deer grow up. Stags are dangerous unless handled by experienced people. Hinds, once grown, have little respect for humans or other animals. One I know would harass the sheep and ponies endlessly. Put her in a different paddock and she'd jump back in. I offered one of my horses to put in with her to teach her some manners, but we all decided that if the deer kept on harassing, even after a lesson, she'd be worse than ever.

Fawns are really cute though and its lovely to see them playing.

I'd suggest you start with a couple of goats. Goat kids are really cute, easy to teach to lead, love doing obstacle courses, have classes and school calf club days etc etc. Are just as destructive of gardens, experts at escape and all in all will give you a great experience with a more challenging animal on your block.

If you can cope with the fully grown goats (ie 3 years old or so), then consider a deer fawn.

More
10 years 2 months ago #477821 by katieb
Got sent the link to an amateur photographers page today...some neat photos including a couple of deer only taken today....oh I like the ostrich ones too & theres neat pics futher down of other animals & stuff

www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Robinson-P...aphy/101508233263061

More
10 years 2 months ago #477824 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic Deer as Pets
we hand raised a fallow deer and she was great,used to sleep with our lab and follow us round the farm while we collected the eggs .
we had high fencing along the boundry but only normal height for the rest of the farm, it wasnt long and she could jump over the old subaru we had(or any other fence)
after having a burn up of branches she took off across the farm and we never saw her again

More
10 years 2 months ago #477833 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Deer as Pets
So wiltshire, are you saying something to the effect "as well as NAIT tagging and registering the pet deer, you should also microchip and RFID her so that you can find her when she escapes, to avoid her becoming a neighbours dinner" ?? :-)

More
10 years 2 months ago #477835 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic Deer as Pets
yes and have decent fencing to keep them at home,in saying that the next door dairy farm has a pet red hind that goes anywhere she likes but still goes home to sleep lucky for her i know she is as pet

More
10 years 2 months ago #477849 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Deer as Pets
:( wiltshire .. lol lol lol my dogs are telling you " she isn't a pet " lol lol :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 2 months ago #477850 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Deer as Pets
In the UK, country estates have deer without deer fencing. This maybe because the areas they are in are so large that they do not need fencing in. If you are serious about getting them, it may be worthwhile finding out what breeds are used there or what they do so that they are not a problem. Mind you it was the English desire for this that caused the wild deer problem here in the first place.

I should say, I know nothing about keeping deer myself.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds