Ready to Foal

More
10 years 3 months ago #477121 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Ready to Foal
Two slits at the tail end generally give a good idea of sex. I've had so many baby animals changing sex during the night that I most often check by that method.
Be very, very careful that the mother does not attack you. "Safe" animals can become very mean when they have a baby to protect ..... even equines .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #477144 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Ready to Foal
definitely a little cutey..

Bling is a great name and says it all!..

More
10 years 3 months ago #477178 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Ready to Foal

DMW999;480414 wrote: Thank you for kind words and advice. I'll go and buy a halter for her on Monday. Guess any of the horsey shops will have one? Is there anything else I need for her now? (haven't had a foal before!! so appreciate any advice)

I have a first foal halter here you are welcome to use ...they grow so fast that you'll need the next size up in a couple of months [;)].....

More pics PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Oh and I have foal covers if you need any tho' it is a lot warmer up here than where my babies were born :)

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 3 months ago #477276 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Ready to Foal
Congratulations on your new arrival! :D

A foals halters should be nice soft leather and you need to put it on and take it off so the foal gets used to having it on but don't leave it on while the foal is in the paddock as foals are really good at getting tangled up in things and you don't want your precious baby getting hurt. :(

Getting a halter on a foal for the first time can be quite tricky especially as they tend to want to rear up [and can flip over backwards & badly hurt themselves], so position most of your body over the foal's head so foal can't flip over when you first introduce the halter. I usually start off handling it and scratching up the neck etc so it gets used to the feel of my hands on its face and neck then the halter strap is not so much of a problem.

I usually try to start leading and handling lessons early so that if you need to do anything with the foal that it is used to it and you don't have a big fight. The older the foal the harder it fights if it doesn't like something so its best to start early and do it gently so that feet handling etc become part of daily life.

Make the lessons really short 1-2mins is fine. [8D] No longer than 5mins and if the foal starts to look sulky, dull or tired you need to stop immediately as you've overcooked it.

Its good to rub and scratch the foal nicely [as much as it will let you] so she gets used to gentle handling while mum is there for support. A good time to do this is while grooming mum and giving her a feed, I usually continue the mare balancer ration over the first month or so after the foal is born as mum generally needs as much vitamins and minerals as she can get.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
10 years 3 months ago #477281 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Ready to Foal
beautiful baby- congratulations :)

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds