Anyone make their own sausages?

More
10 years 5 months ago #36533 by andik
I'm thinking about getting into making sausages and other charcuterie bits and bobs...not large amounts because we don't eat a huge amount of meat, but we have our own pork/lamb/goat and access to good beef so would be nice to make some of sausagy yummies.
Just wondering if anyone else is doing this and has any advice, but particularly around sausage makers. I have seen the manual grinders with a sausage attachment, the electronic ones that have got 3 different grinding attachments but only one sized sausage attachment, the cylindrical sausage stuffers...I just don't know what would be the right way to go! I don't currently have a meat grinder, or anything that I think would do the job - pretty standard food processor is about all I've got. What things should I be looking for in a grinder/sausage maker...should it be one machine to do both jobs, or two.....how much would you expect to pay ?
Any any any advice would be great.
Thanks so much,
Andi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476251 by Blueberry
we do make sausages every now and again. you need a grinder to make mince meat, and a stuffer.
we have a manual grinder with stuffing attachments.
we get our home kill guy to mince the meat. we then mix and spice at home, put the lot through the grinder again, then put it through the stuffing attachments.
we make sausages the European way - no starch, just meat and spices.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 5 months ago #476254 by green
We use a mincer with a sausage-making attachment on a Kenwood mixer. The meat gets minced first, mixed with spices, etc., then gets put into sausage skins (so it goes through the mincing attachment twice).

We started sausage-making with a manual mincer that had a sausage attachment, but the Kenwood is much faster and easier. The Kenwood is probably a bit of an investment, but it does both the mincing and the sausage-stuffing, and all sorts of other things (and you can get good secondhand ones). Making sausages with a manual mincer is fine so long as you have small quantities, or someone who is enthusiastic about winding a mincer for a few hours...

More
10 years 5 months ago #476257 by Deanna
My daughter does it with my old kenwood, she buys flavouring. They are always lovely.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476265 by Hawkspur
Not all European sausages have no starch. I know of Polish, Portuguese and Scandinavian sausages that traditionally have starch.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476324 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Anyone make their own sausages?

Hawkspur;479464 wrote: Not all European sausages have no starch. I know of Polish, Portuguese and Scandinavian sausages that traditionally have starch.

yup and the last time I looked UK and Eire were still in Europe and many definitely have a filler of some description. It is not a bad thing used in the correct proportions for the right type of sausage.

I would say go for an electric mincer if you can afford it and a manual stuffer. Ours is a 5kg stuffer and it is easier to judge the speed than using the electric mincer as a stuffer. however ours is designed to be bolted to the bench and as we don't have enough bench space to spare, it isn't so it needs someone to hold it.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476327 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Anyone make their own sausages?
this is a very good resource.
They sell equipment, but also have their own forum with a wealth of information
www.sausagemaking.org/

More
10 years 5 months ago #476347 by Blueberry

kai;479528 wrote: yup and the last time I looked UK and Eire were still in Europe and many definitely have a filler of some description. It is not a bad thing used in the correct proportions for the right type of sausage.

there's precious few times the English actually WANT to be a part of Europe...[;)]

well, then lets put it that way: continental European sausages traditionally do not have starch in them - unless mentioned - brings to mind a really nice potatoe/venison sausage, airdried, my neighbours used to make, back in the old days.... :p :p

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds