pesky deer!

More
10 years 4 months ago #476225 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic pesky deer!
Sounds like a labour intensive approach

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476231 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic pesky deer!
If you have a dog, taking it for a walk along the boundary in the evenings might help. The scent should deter the deer.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476345 by Falcons Rest
Replied by Falcons Rest on topic pesky deer!
Being very active there at dusk and dawn might help; esp with a nice barking dog and noisy people. You could try hanging things that will rattle/chime/bang on the fence in any breeze, or maybe put a portable radio up there if you can water proof it?
With scent, dogs are useful, but humans can be good too - get the hubbie to pee on the posts?? Or nick his smelly (fresh worn) socks and hang them where the breeze will blow it to the deer.
With gun shot noises, a starting pistol makes a great bang, and any blood is a deterrent - the stuff from any defrosting joint would be a start?
Trying to think of non-lethal options if you like your deer alive. Though personally I'd have one for the freezer. Sorry - I love venison!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wiltshires, Beefies, Boers, Captain Cookers, Muscovies, assorted Chooks, 2 cats & a confused dog........ No suprise the cats are in charge.:p

More
10 years 4 months ago #476511 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic pesky deer!
Jeez I've read some crap in this post :) They are wild deer used to blood ,rotting carcases, awkward fences , urine, dog smells etc.If you don't want to shoot them, remember they are noxious animals in NZ and very destructive, than get the gun out, wait for them and give them a few close shots. Do that a cuppla times and that will scare them away for a while until they realise that at 4am you aren't there than look out. Plus this time of the year the males are in velvet and the animals tend to hang around in clearer areas. I have the same situation where my grazing block is in Tokoroa.. Good luck.. wait til you get a small mob of pigs turn the paddocks over during the night [}:)]

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
10 years 4 months ago #476512 by Falcons Rest
Replied by Falcons Rest on topic pesky deer!
poaka - There are more polite ways of disagreeing with others advice/suggestions/opinions. As Bev is not inclined to kill them, perhaps some constructive comments would have been more useful?
I agree shooting them is a more permanent way of solving it; however that is not an option here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wiltshires, Beefies, Boers, Captain Cookers, Muscovies, assorted Chooks, 2 cats & a confused dog........ No suprise the cats are in charge.:p

More
10 years 4 months ago #476513 by igor
Replied by igor on topic pesky deer!
Can't see any way to keep them out short of appropriate fencing. Do they eat enough to be worth bothering about if there are really only four animals involved?
Poaka raises a good point with regard to the wild pigs. When they wander out of the forest into your pasture they will do far more damage than a few grazing deer.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476524 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic pesky deer!
I suspect these are escapees from the deer farm on the other side of my property. My sons and husband all hold shotgun licences but do not shoot animals, only targets. The paddock in question is my only hay paddock and four large animals do a lot of damage. With regard pigs in the years we have lived here there have been no sightings or evidence.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476525 by igor
Replied by igor on topic pesky deer!
Any chance that the owner of the escaped deer may be able to recapture them?

More
10 years 4 months ago #476529 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic pesky deer!
If they are escaped deer they should have AHB yellow eartags, and theoretically you are not permitted to shoot them. So if they do have eartags,get the owner to capture them. Hurry him along by suggesting that you will charge him for crop damage and loss.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476539 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic pesky deer!

bevhawkins;479750 wrote: My sons and husband all hold shotgun licences but do not shoot animals, only targets.

there is no difference in NZ. an "A category" firearms license allows you to possess and use any "sporting" firearm - single, repeater or semi automatic rifles or shotguns.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 4 months ago #476545 by little red digger
Replied by little red digger on topic pesky deer!

igor;479751 wrote: Any chance that the owner of the escaped deer may be able to recapture them?

An escaped farmed deer would not be reintroduced to a heard due to the possible risk of disease such as TB being brought in.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
10 years 4 months ago #476555 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic pesky deer!

LongRidge;479755 wrote: If they are escaped deer they should have AHB yellow eartags, and theoretically you are not permitted to shoot them. So if they do have eartags,get the owner to capture them. Hurry him along by suggesting that you will charge him for crop damage and loss.

Our neighbour about 15 years ago had a stray hanging around outside his deer-fenced area. He rang MAF and they told him he was allowed to shoot it, but if the owner was able to be identified he had to give them the option of collecting the carcase.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds