Kune Kune Tusk issues

More
10 years 6 months ago #36512 by Robinsons Folly?
Hello everyone,
Two of our Kune's have tusks. They have an unfortunate habit of getting caught on things. Problem is though, when they get caught they tend to pull away backwards which generally makes the problem worse. This morning I had to vault the fence in a skirt and ugg boots and try and push him forward from behind while my DH (recently out of hospital, so wasn't much help) had to pull him forward. There was a LOT of squealing, mostly from the pig. :D Seemed like it went on forever, but probably didn't, but it was a bit traumatic. Meanwhile the other two pigs are milling around, NOT helping...

Does anyone else have this problem, or are ours just not spatially aware of where their tusks are? Is there some sort of technique one might employ to move what seems like a gizillion tonnes of pig in this situation.... :)

We can't get rid of the fence, so is there something we could do to tusk proof it? I put windbreak on the gate after Jackson got his tusks caught one day, which seemed to help. But then he also kept away from it for a while too.

sigh......

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #476074 by linda
Replied by linda on topic Kune Kune Tusk issues
Hi, our two did that alot. We had wire joiners on hand at all times :)
I was always going to get some of the cutting wire & saw their tusks off
but didn`t get around to it.

13 acres in poroti,northland
www.justsoap.co.nz

More
10 years 6 months ago #476077 by The Kats Place
pust him backwards from his face and he will push forwards against you, thats teh only way I could get mine unstuck

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 6 months ago #476099 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Kune Kune Tusk issues
The safest option is to get the vet out to shorten them...we had our boar done recently after he moved his head and accidentally fractured tge skull of his mate

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 6 months ago #476100 by katieb
Here are the tusks

Attached files
File Attachment:

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 5 months ago #476488 by Robinsons Folly?
Ouch Katieb, that sounds like it was painful. Poor piggy. Apart from the removal of the tusks was the other ok?

More
10 years 5 months ago #476489 by Robinsons Folly?

The Kats Place;479250 wrote: pust him backwards from his face and he will push forwards against you, thats teh only way I could get mine unstuck

Yep, good theory, tho at the time I wasn't keen to put my hand anywhere near that screaming face.
:D

But a good point. They do tend to push back when you lean on them. :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #476523 by katieb

Robinsons Folly?;479709 wrote: Ouch Katieb, that sounds like it was painful. Poor piggy. Apart from the removal of the tusks was the other ok?

amazingly she survived...she spent a night at the vets(vet came out but reccommended a night at the clinic so I took her in the boot of my car....it was quicker to load her into my nice car than drive to the OHs work & get his ute) & had to have iv fluids, a course of ABs & antiinflams but she still had her piglets a few weeks later

the vets thought she wouldnt make it through the night

they had lived happily together for ages without problems & we think she mustv just been in the wrong place when he moved his head

Its a lot safer in his paddock now

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds