Too Late to Spray Buttercup?

More
10 years 4 months ago #36508 by Toast
Is it too late when it has flowered? I used up some Tordon Gold six days ago and sprayed about 1/2 of it. They've gone all curly but not sure if they're going to die completely.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476039 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
never too late to spray buttercup,I do it all year round.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476040 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
No, not too late but the important thing is to follow up with lime and do this anually. Weeds such as buttercup, penny royal, willow weed etc. like sour soils and the fact you have them indicates that your soil is not in the best order.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
10 years 4 months ago #476047 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
Romney, thats possibly not entirely true. You can lime and lime and the buttercup wont disappear.
It can also indicate boggy soils with poor drainage. The two go hand in hand ie wet and sour.
You need to change the drainage and lime but not one without the other or it would be easy to get rid of buttercup without sprays

More
10 years 4 months ago #476082 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
Kai ..... does the buttercup die if I spray it when it's in flower. I sprayed it Saturday 23rd & it's now Friday 29th. It's knocked it back, gone all curly & flowers have mostly fallen off. I've only done half & run out of spray. I don't want to buy any more or spray the rest unless it's going to kill it off.

If needs must I can get out there with the brushcutter or weedeater (or even lawnmower) to tidy it & leave spraying til autumn or whenever suitable.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
10 years 4 months ago #476086 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
Hi, don't be impatient if the spray is going to be effective it must be translocated from the area above ground which has been sprayed down to the roots under the ground it may take about 4 weeks for total die down. The second thing that is important is the temperature and moisture levels, low temperature and sprays take longer to work, a little rain a day or two after spraying then fine days and they often die off quite quick. Many people reckon that some sprays are no good because the effect is not "instant" or nearly "instant". Cheers

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 4 months ago #476088 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?

Toast;479255 wrote: Kai ..... does the buttercup die if I spray it when it's in flower. I sprayed it Saturday 23rd & it's now Friday 29th. It's knocked it back, gone all curly & flowers have mostly fallen off. I've only done half & run out of spray. I don't want to buy any more or spray the rest unless it's going to kill it off.

If it is roundup/glyphosphate you have used it will take 2 weeks to kill it. I find one dose is usually enough, but if it is still not dead an additional one will definitely do it.

If you are buying roundup, buy generic glyphosphate from the warehouse, it is half the price and if you look at the label exactly the same ingredient and concentrate.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476089 by muri
Also, sprays work most effectively when the plant is in full growth and not under stress eg its too hot or its too cold, its too dry etc
You would not use round up in pasture to kill buttercup but a selective spray of which there are a number

More
10 years 4 months ago #476096 by tehoro
Replied by tehoro on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
I have found that multiple sprays can be required. First time doesn't usually get it all on dense patches. Wait a few weeks and do it again. Then a few months and so on. I still need to keep on top of it - did our paddocks a few weeks ago and got most of what was flowering (it is easy to spot amongst the grass then).

This is with Victory Gold, which I assume is a tordon knock-off. I'm not going to let it get out of hand again!

More
10 years 4 months ago #476152 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
I am very interested in all the replies.

I have another question: If I am spraying mature buttercup, what should I use? The following are the herbicides I have on hand (apart from glyphosphate and a long lasting, bare earth type weedkiller):
Torgon 2G granules (would be a pain, but I included them because I've got lots)
Tordon MAX
Grazon
Relay Super
Answer
Harmony (not very much and I know that this is not the right time to use it)

I'd really like to not have to buy something else!

Thanks for the advice.

More
10 years 4 months ago #476266 by muri
Anne I am not very familiar with sprays which I do try and avoid.
If you read the fine print on the sprays it will tell you what each of them covers and the rate at which you need to mix them and spread them at

More
10 years 4 months ago #476290 by keppelk
There is an excellent page on PestWeb about chemical control of Giant Buttercup pestweb.co.nz/?pesttypes=giant-buttercup (see Control link at top of page). Also a page for Creeping Buttercup pestweb.co.nz/?pesttypes=creeping-buttercup

For Giant Buttercup (table from above PestWeb page):
Active ingredientWhen to applyResidual effectGrass damageClover damage
MCPAUp to small rosetteModerateNoSlight
MCPA/ MCPBUp to small rosetteModerateNoVery little
Thifensulfuron-methylUp to small rosetteSlightSlightModerate
FlumetsulamUp to small rosetteSlightNoNo
2,4-DUp to small rosetteSlightNoSlight
BentazoneUp to small rosetteSlightNoNo
From your selection of herbicides I would go for either Relay (2,4-D) or Harmony (thifensulfuron). Since some buttercup is already resistant to MCPA, MCPB and 2,4-D I would try the Harmony first (YMMV).

More
10 years 4 months ago #476310 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
The trouble is that all of my buttercup is well beyond rosette stage - its fully mature, in full flower!!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #476313 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Too Late to Spray Buttercup?
What sort of buttercup is it? If it's one of the annuals it may be a waste of time, effort and money spraying, as it will die anyway and it may be too late to stop it seeding.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds