Journeying in Hell

More
10 years 4 months ago #475614 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Journeying in Hell
Very sorry to hear you lost the cow after all your efforts. It's great though that you have a second cow and can feed the calf real milk - the calf is lucky to have you.

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475622 by Short Plank
Replied by Short Plank on topic Journeying in Hell

LongRidge;478701 wrote:
But, if you cannot handle the emotion of death, then it would be better to consider a different life style sooner rather than later. Lots, as in many, people have not got the psychological requirements, and that is not a weakness of you.

It's taking the decision that an animal has to die that I find difficult. I always knew it would but thought that after the first few times it would become easier, but it didn't. For that reason we no-longer have a pig, tho' we've plenty of spare milk etc. for one. When the time came to have our first one killed I gave her a dozen cans of Lion Brown in her trough when 'the man' arrived so I hope she died happy. However the whole event was so traumatic that I couldn't do it again. When it is necessary I'll get an expert or professional to do it as I doubt my ability to make it quick and clean.

My consolation is that the animals we do have killed are on property they are familar with with no trucking or stress beforehand, and we give them as good a life as possible beforehand.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475624 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell
We have to take control of our own sensitivities to these things. How else would anyone ever have fed themselves on meat protein? I still believe it's vastly better to be involved in the growing, killing and processing than to buy packaged meat from a supermarket shelf and pretend that none of the bloody stuff happens. As you say, your animals live and die better than most.

I am aware that I could easily find it more difficult each year to send cows away, but if I let that feeling run away with me, I'll have to give up on this life and lifestyle I love living.

We all die. For many of us it's going to be much more gruesome a process than most of our animals go through.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475626 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Journeying in Hell

Ruth;478749 wrote: We have to take control of our own sensitivities to these things. How else would anyone ever have fed themselves on meat protein? I still believe it's vastly better to be involved in the growing, killing and processing than to buy packaged meat from a supermarket shelf and pretend that none of the bloody stuff happens. As you say, your animals live and die better than most.

I am aware that I could easily find it more difficult each year to send cows away, but if I let that feeling run away with me, I'll have to give up on this life and lifestyle I love living.

We all die. For many of us it's going to be much more gruesome a process than most of our animals go through.

I fully agree with Ruth's post here and I don't think it gets any easier killing an animal either for humanitarian reasons or to eat regardless of the number of times you experience it.
My OH is getting softer with age and he would have been one of the last people I thought would be affected by home kill.

Farming has its ups and downs and you hit your bottom. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and give yourself a break. You did what you could.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475631 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Journeying in Hell

swaggie;478751 wrote: I fully agree with Ruth's post here and I don't think it gets any easier killing an animal either for humanitarian reasons or to eat regardless of the number of times you experience it.
My OH is getting softer with age and he would have been one of the last people I thought would be affected by home kill.

Farming has its ups and downs and you hit your bottom. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and give yourself a break. You did what you could.

Ditto to getting harder and softer with age swaggie[^] ...Terry is a butcher by trade and has always killed our own meat[xx(] .....when we moved 10 months ago ...we gave 4trees (she bought all the ewes we could not take due to downsizing) ...so we gifted her Willy and Jackson ...2 wether muttons that had been going to be done a couple of years or more earlier [:0]...but Terry liked Jackson ...and Willy was the Willy he live or Willy he die of one of my threads many moons ago[:0] ...just too attached:rolleyes: ...I know what would have happened with 4trees and was fine with that:confused: ...
Now we have a 2 rising 3 Wooly wether ...he is Angies last son and is going into the freezer ...maybe next week:rolleyes: YEAH RIGHT[}:)] [:o)]...Terry has now said the 3 boys we ringed for the freezer from this seasons lambs will be done by homekill... he has no problem butchering them once they are meat just hates doing the deed himself[xx(] and my big tough butcher now likes our sheep as he is spending more time with them and they now know him very well:eek: He says Wooly Wether will be the last animal he kills (unless injury/illness forces him to grab the rifle.

Short Plank ....don't think about Chloe's last days ...they are gone and she is at peace ...comfort yourself with the fact that she had a long and good life with you ...better than most cows ....It is tough :(

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 4 months ago #475648 by Short Plank

swaggie;478751 wrote: Farming has its ups and downs and you hit your bottom. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and give yourself a break. You did what you could.

My consolation.

Thanks.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475653 by max2

Short Plank;478775 wrote: My consolation.

Thanks.

I truly hope so. :) Be kind to yourself eh.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475665 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Journeying in Hell
as a matter of interest where do you live Short Plank?...there are vets out of clinical practice ferreted away in all walks of life in all parts of the country. I may be able to put you in touch with one closer.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 4 months ago #475701 by Short Plank
We're in Clova Bay on the Pelorus, just over the hill from Waitaria Bay on the Kenepuru.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475704 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478834 wrote: We're in Clova Bay on the Pelorus, just over the hill from Waitaria Bay on the Kenepuru.

It looks like the title of this thread could well apply to those roads! That's an insanely long way to travel, unless you're seriously self-sufficient.

More
10 years 4 months ago #475719 by max2

Short Plank;478834 wrote: We're in Clova Bay on the Pelorus, just over the hill from Waitaria Bay on the Kenepuru.

I had to google you! (which considering I'm aussie probably comes as no surprise). What took you there? (if you don't mind us asking).

More
10 years 4 months ago #475721 by Short Plank

swaggie;478853 wrote: I had to google you! (which considering I'm aussie probably comes as no surprise). What took you there? (if you don't mind us asking).

An accumulation of large number of small reasons. In the nearly twenty years we've been here we've had the police in the area exactly once - and that was when they were checking firearms licences. It's at the end of a long road with no turn-offs and strangers are noticed, so locking doors or even removing the ignition-keys from our vehicles is still unnecessary. There's a small but necessarily co-operative community. It's quiet and quite, quite beautiful.

And as I've said elsewhere we both fled the UK, where we'd both had a rural up-bringing but worked in the big city and there's plenty of both in NZ if on a smaller scale. The Sounds are like nothing in the UK, save perhaps the West Coast of Scotland save for the weather which tends to be attrocious there most of the time with 20-hours of darkness in winter.

And no, we're not seriously self-sufficient. Fresh milk would be the only problem as the rural mailman only comes over here twice a week, but a trip to town every two or three weeks for a major shop to re-stock the larder suffices.

Surrounded by sheep, cattle, deer and pig in the hills, fish and shell-fish in the bay, a benign climate and a good garden, plenty of clean fresh water running down the hill and as much firewood as a stove could ever eat I can't imagine anywhere better to be should Armageddon come. Not that I believe it will, but if it did....

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds