Journeying in Hell

More
10 years 5 months ago #475379 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Journeying in Hell

cowvet;478473 wrote: there is - but its permanent. Only to be done of the teat is permanently damaged. .

I had a cow last year who must have damaged a teat badly & it was no longer there(im pretty sure I know how it would have been removed)...she still milked well & almost had a half & 2 quarters lol

Other older cows have damaged their teats & teat salve has been great to heal...some have manuka honey now, only 1 I couldnt milk much out for a week & she got mastitis which cleared up pretty quickly

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475381 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Journeying in Hell
I am sure you could get someone local to make up some more of those udder supports, if they had one to copy. An upholsterer, a saddler or someone who makes truck covers or bags would have the necessary skills & materials. Have you tried Ebay? you could also perhaps use NZPost's Youshop to get the Tamm Net one posted out to you.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475382 by Geba
I am sure you could get someone local to make up some more of those udder supports, if they had one to copy. An upholsterer, a saddler or someone who makes truck covers or bags would have the necessary skills & materials. Have you tried Ebay? you could also perhaps use NZPost's Youshop to get the Tamm Net one posted out to you.

There's one on Ebay right now. Listing number 400524856794.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475385 by Short Plank
Replied by Short Plank on topic Journeying in Hell
Thanks Geba. I've enquired if the vendor will ship to New Zealand .....

provided Chloe survives. I found her at 4.50pm on her side shaking, legs out stiff in front of her and head turned back on the ground. I picked her up in the sling and it took her a few moments to recover enough find her feet, although even that was remarkable enough.

She walked a little way and then lay down again, and I've taken the Te Pari sling off her. Being just a plastic tarpaulin she was baking beneath it and she had been out in the full sun all day in it - it's been a hot day here in Marlborough.

So perhaps it was just the heat. She certainly seems much recovered now, in the cool and without the sling on, has stopped panting and had a long drink. But she has also been scouring today - droppings like black tar - although perhaps that was yesterday's Kay anti-inflammatory and today's Metacam shot - but perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

We'll see overnight, but wthout the sling on it's going to be hard getting her on her feet again if I want to. And perhaps it would be better not to to try any more.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475401 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478460 wrote: Thanks Inger.

Can a cow consciously (or unconsciously?) close off the duct at the tip of the teat, and release it to express the milk? In other words, if she's lost the tip of the teat will she be unmilkable in the normal way or will it still behave 'normally' once the teat has healed over and doesn't hurt her any more?

We had a cow that had split her teat on a barbed wire fence. It healed that way, so she had no end teat control of her milk. She didn't leak though until she let her milk down, so we didn't wash her ahead of time. Just washed when the cups were free to go on her. She was in the herd like that for 6-8 years.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #475418 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478445 wrote: The duct isn't blocked. I've just watched the calf suckle that side and when she let her milk down for him it just ran out of the teat. She didn't want him sucking from it tho' and I'd guess it's still pretty sore.

Is there a way of drying off just that one quarter?

You could try applying cabbage leaves to that quarter.
I dont know how it would work on a cow, but it is very effective on humans.

The humble green cabbage is seriously amazing... it is something I came across years ago that is still used today for reducing or stopping milk supply.
Google it if you wish. Some sites say to lightly crush the leaves with rolling pin or pound the leaves before applying, but I cant recall ever rolling or pounding the leaves. The heavy rib was removed though as the leaf fitted better without it.

Cabbage leaves were in use when I spent 3 months working in the maternity ward of a top private hospital in 1989. The cabbages were kept in the ward fridge.
The midwives explained to me that cold cabbage leaves are an old yet effective method that served several purposes.
Firstly, it was used to relieve the engorged breasts of new mums as their milk came in.
The coolness of the leaf was soothing and there is something in the cabbage leaf that works to suppress the milk production rate. For the breastfeeding mums we had to limit the use of the cabbage leaves to avoid suppressing their milk supply too much.
The leaves were changed/ removed when they wilted.
Secondly, if a new mum did not wish to breastfeed, the cabbage leaves were applied inside a well supporting bra continuously for 24-48 hours and the milk production stopped altogether.

The kitchen staff could not work out why the maternity ward was forever requesting cabbages be sent to their department. One day one of the kitchen staff asked me when I went to collect yet another cabbage and I told them the reason.
The mums used to joke about their cabbage bras and that when they smelled cooked cabbage it was time to change the leaves...

Hope your cow gets well soon.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475424 by Short Plank
Thanks, but we've reached the ninth level of Hell. Wednesday I thought we'd turned the corner and she was recovering but today she can't get up, doesn't want to get up and is scouring stuff that looks like black tar. I'm guessing she has a bleed in the intestines - the vet speculates ulcers.

So a neighbour's coming to do the deed this afternoon, and put me out of my misery.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475426 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478526 wrote: ... a neighbour's coming to do the deed this afternoon, and put me out of my misery.

Human euthanasia isn't legal yet!

Sorry about your cow. It's hard to pick your moment at the end of the road, when you can't see how far it is around the next corner.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475427 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Journeying in Hell
Sorry to hear your news Short Plank. :(

More
10 years 5 months ago #475428 by Short Plank

Ruth;478529 wrote: Human euthanasia isn't legal yet!

But I hope it will be when my time comes.

Ruth;478529 wrote: Sorry about your cow. It's hard to pick your moment at the end of the road, when you can't see how far it is around the next corner.

Very hard. I'd actually detirmed to do it a week ago, and would have spared myself a lot of anguish and perhaps Chloe some discomfort had I done it then. Yet I felt then that she hadn't given up so didn't myself. Now I feel she has given up which makes it easier to go through with it, yet the worrying thought remains that then and now I am just projecting my moods onto her.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475433 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Journeying in Hell
You gave her your best shot Short Plank ....Sorry it has turned out as it has but you have to try for as long as you can when they can't speak for themselves :( Sounds like she has told you now :( God bless

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 5 months ago #475436 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478532 wrote: ...the worrying thought remains that then and now I am just projecting my moods onto her.

We all have to go sometime. She won't know if it was too early and if it gets too late, you'll feel worse.

I had a similar decision to make back in the new year and it was hard, stressful and ultimately hopeless. I wish I'd done the deed a week before we did, but at that stage we believed there was hope of recovery. Turned out the vets were wrong and there never was. Poor cow.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475439 by Short Plank
Thanks guys. Most people never know the highs and joys of living off your own fresh milk and cheeses, but never know the lows either.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475442 by Geba
Oh, poor cow...but you're right, it sounds like internal bleeding and is not fixeable. What a shame :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #475456 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478546 wrote: Thanks guys. Most people never know the highs and joys of living off your own fresh milk and cheeses, but never know the lows either.

The love for an animal regardless of whether its a domestic pet or a farm animal runs in most of us here and I think we all can relate to how you are feeling.

once upon a time I would never have thought that ''farm'' animals have personalities, feelings and traits but they do to us who get to know them.

I feel for your loss and perhaps share also your frustration at not being able to get on top of the problem. We felt the same way for Maisy. :(

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds