Journeying in Hell

More
10 years 5 months ago #475172 by Short Plank
Replied by Short Plank on topic Journeying in Hell
My concern now is losing the sling somehow - as said it fits where it touches and is clearly stong enough to lift her but if wearing it all the time proves deleterious getting her to her feet again is going to become a major struggle each time - or it will be back to the hip-clamp which I fear causes soreness and bruising which only worsens the situation my making her reluctant to rise.

Any advice or alternative solutions greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475213 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Journeying in Hell
Have you taken her temp?

Also have you checked her for mastitis? can you RMT her, if you dont have the proper solution use diswashing liquid

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 5 months ago #475219 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Journeying in Hell
OTT I have found the Te Pari folk really good to deal with and I am sure they will appreciate the feedback.

They take their business very seriously and I can only encourage you to email them, even with a photo or three, and just let them know where you feel the product lets you down.

I'm sure they will rise to the occasion in a positive way. [^]

More
10 years 5 months ago #475240 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Journeying in Hell
Ask the vet to send you out some vacuum tubes, and to tell you how to take a blood sample from the tail. It is very easy. Then get those samples into a chilly bag and delivered to the vet to get them analysed for phosphorous and anything else that is worth doing at a reasonable price.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475339 by Short Plank
Update: Hopefully we've turned the corner. She's now getting up and down by herself, although ony when she sees the tractor coming to do it.

This morning, tho', she trod of one of her teats and skinned the end off it. It was the same one she trod on last calving and the repaired ducting came out sideways. If it's too painful for her to let the calf suck from, and for me to milk out, presumably the quarter will fill with milk and if the duct is blocked it won't be able to drain.

Any advice?

More
10 years 5 months ago #475343 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Journeying in Hell
Unless there is an infection, that quarter will probably dry off without having to do much about it. It would be a good idea to treat it with a drying-off potion, or at least spray with iodine.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475350 by Short Plank
The duct isn't blocked. I've just watched the calf suckle that side and when she let her milk down for him it just ran out of the teat. She didn't want him sucking from it tho' and I'd guess it's still pretty sore.

Is there a way of drying off just that one quarter?

More
10 years 5 months ago #475358 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Journeying in Hell
Glad to hear that she's getting up by herself now, even if it's reluctantly. You'll need some teat salve to heal up the injured teat. Even if the milk comes out the side of the teat, it's still useful and I know of a cow with a similar problem who carried on for a number of years, feeding a calf each year and having a quarter that dripped milk. She too had a large udder for her size and being half Dexter, her udder was low to the ground. The calves (her last pregnancy was twins) learnt to kneel down to drink. By the time they were 6 months old, both of the calves were 3/4 of their mother's weight and almost as tall as well. She was about 12 years old then. Her owner decided to retire her from breeding after that.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475363 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478445 wrote: ...Is there a way of drying off just that one quarter?

Don't milk it.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475365 by Short Plank
Thanks Inger.

She's a Jersey so low-slung anyway but at the moment the calf is managing to get down there.

We're a long way from town but I'll try to find someone going in sooner than we'd planned to in order to get some teat salve. May not be 'til next week, tho'. I have Patten's Milkeeze for milking with. Would that help in the interim?

Thanks Ruth. Trouble is (?) if the milk is going to flow out whenever she lets it down for the calf it isn't that the same as milking her?

Can a cow consciously (or unconsciously?) close off the duct at the tip of the teat, and release it to express the milk? In other words, if she's lost the tip of the teat will she be unmilkable in the normal way or will it still behave 'normally' once the teat has healed over and doesn't hurt her any more?

More
10 years 5 months ago #475367 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Journeying in Hell
I have used Rawleighs Medicated Ointment to good effect on cows with cracked and sore teats. My wife has been making a beeswax based calendula skin cream which is good too both for the cow and the milker's hands.
My dad once had a cow in the commercial herd who trod on one of her own teats and cut it off. At milking the truncated teat still flowed milk onto the deck. Unfortunately that was her last season. She had only had three functional quarters before the accident, having always had one blind quarter, and an elderly cow with only half an udder in production is not much use.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475368 by Short Plank
Chloe only had three quarters for her last lactation as she comprehensively mashed this same teat by standing on it within days of calving - and even with only three quarters she provided our household with more than enough milk, which is all that's required of her. I was actually surprised the quarter came back into production this time, and rather wish it hadn't.

The vet has suggested bandaging it to keep the calf off it (and keep it clean) and says the quarter will dry up by itself in a few days, tho' she might be a bit uncomfortable while it does. Would be hard thing to keep a bandage on, tho'. Especially with the calf worring at it.

This will be her last calf. We milked her for four years after her last one and she was still giving us all the milk we needed at the end of that time. I fear that four more years of the 'Good Life' will be about as much as I can take - when all's going well it's sublime, but at times like this when you're struggling to help big animals who rely on you for every decision - some of them life-or-death - with limited resources and knowledge, I think fondly of the flat I one had in the Hell that was London. At least there and then I was only responsible for myself.

In previous years we've used an udder support for her - a cow-bra - which has worked very well but unfortuately our source (in Denmark) has dried up and I haven't been able to get a response from a couple of US farming sites that claim to supply them. Anyone know if these, or anything similar, is available in New Zealand?

uddersupports.com/

More
10 years 5 months ago #475369 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478460 wrote: ...Thanks Ruth. Trouble is (?) if the milk is going to flow out whenever she lets it down for the calf it isn't that the same as milking her?...

Not really, since nothing is drawing the milk out and it's only the pressure of "overflow" causing it to flow.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475371 by Short Plank
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks Ruth.

Just gotta keep it clean, then. And keep the calf off it, if the cow doesn't.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475378 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Journeying in Hell

Short Plank;478445 wrote: The duct isn't blocked. I've just watched the calf suckle that side and when she let her milk down for him it just ran out of the teat. She didn't want him sucking from it tho' and I'd guess it's still pretty sore.

Is there a way of drying off just that one quarter?

there is - but its permanent. Only to be done of the teat is permanently damaged. if the teat just needs to heal then you could put a patch over it to prevent suckling. keep in mind that it will be very prone to mastitis so you need to keep a really close eye on it.

I love animals...they're delicious

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds