Paradise ducks pooing in water trough

More
10 years 5 months ago #36359 by hilldweller
Has anyone found a way to stop this? I've just put a lamb cover over the worst-affected trough which has stakes all around it holding the netting on but I doubt that will deter Mr and Mrs Parry and their eight or ten offspring. The water gets really disgusting really quickly and cleaning it out is just revolting.

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474486 by Ruth
I occasionally have the same problem, although this month's culprits are a pair of Mallards, which favour one of the big concrete troughs and it's green and gross. I'm simply siphoning it out before the cows go into the paddock. Duck a l'orange seems an appealing idea too.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474488 by RhodeRed
Bah, Ruth beat me to it hehe, - was gonna suggest something like;

www.luvaduck.com.au/recipes/

More
10 years 5 months ago #474491 by Tui Ridge
arrhhggg! we had that problem last year during the drought.

We had a duckling explosion during spring :rolleyes: (khaki campbells) then all the water ran out and we had a hell of a time keeping the troughs clean from the 80+ ducks [:0] and no spare water to clean and refresh them [:(!]

Solution this year, 4 ducks, 1 drake and no sitting allowed [}:)][}:)]

all of my girls went to good homes (with all-year-round ponds, I checked! [^])

the boys supplied numerous end-of- Ramadan feasts [^]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
10 years 5 months ago #474499 by zellakanzx
#6 shot, 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #474504 by muri
Get geese, they keep the ducks away

More
10 years 5 months ago #474516 by Deanna
My son made me wooden covers out of ply, so only about 6-7 inches is open at the end of the rectangle plastic trough. To keep the lambs safe. I just scrubbed them out yesterday and got him to screw them back on, as the less light the less algae. Would something like that help.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474544 by hilldweller
I think Deanna's solution is the most practical LOL - thanks. Was thinking I could cover the trough completely when the paddock is empty as that's when it gets most revolting.

hilldweller

More
10 years 5 months ago #474549 by Deanna
i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu205/nandee...84d95887ec009842.jpg

It was only that someone pointed out the risk to lambs that I did this to all 5 troughs, and unless anyone can think of a reason, as I said I'm leaving them on. And yes if I had duck trouble a full cover might be the plan for the unused paddocts. Because with a battery operated drill it is no trouble to remove them.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474553 by DMW999
I've just been looking at trough covers on internet as I need to cover a couple on the farm (dairy) as the water has rumensin in which is poisonous to the horse. Think I'll get a tarpaulin and secure it somehow. If they weren't concrete I could do like you have done Deanna.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474556 by Aquila
On the underside of the ply add some rails that sit inside the trough. Then you don't need to screw the ply down as it will sit in place

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
10 years 5 months ago #474560 by katieb
make sure they have a place to swim then get a pair of decoys & put them in the trough so they think the trough is the 'other pairs' territory

just take them out before duck shooting season lol

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 5 months ago #474666 by jenni24
Hmmm...I wonder if a cover would work for our pond?! [}:)] Our neighbours have ducks that have decided to make themselves at home in our pond, and its fast becoming rather filthy [xx(] Not sure whether it would be appropriate to cook the neighbours pets??? but not sure how to stop them visiting us either. They are pekings, but I guess rather past their tasty prime.[;)]

More
10 years 5 months ago #474684 by Ruth

katieb;477562 wrote: make sure they have a place to swim then get a pair of decoys & put them in the trough so they think the trough is the 'other pairs' territory

just take them out before duck shooting season lol

I wonder if the floating crocodile heads would work as a deterrent?

More
10 years 5 months ago #474738 by igor
It is much too cold here for real crocodiles. I'm quite glad we haven't got them really.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds