Most comfortable gumboot socks ever!

More
10 years 5 months ago #36328 by Ruth
I knitted some socks for myself a couple of months or so ago and because they were so special, I only wore them out in my best shoes. But during calving I'd get up at 3am, out of my slippers and into a brand-new pair of gumboots, so I didn't have to wash my feet before going back to bed. One night, having got cold toes the night before, I put my hand-knitted socks on and they were fantastic! They are the first pair of socks I've ever worn in boots which didn't fall off my feet. They appear to be wearing quite well too. Great stuff! :) [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474152 by zellakanzx
i love socks and live in boots.
Warehouse 'nato' wool socks, green, as worn by nz army, 12$/pair.
Swandri wool blend, grey, ?$, are top of my list.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #474159 by 3 girls farming
Ruth... I need the recipe please... whoops.. pattern actually... my socks are forever in the toes of my gumboots (OK, I agree I probably need tighter gumboots.. but anyway.. needs must... ).. I'd love sox that stayed up..

More
10 years 5 months ago #474165 by Ruth
I knitted these as ankle socks, with rib for the whole ankle/leg. I'm part-way through rewriting the pattern I used, so it makes better sense.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474169 by John M
Swazi socks are the best I have ever come across. Way better than my others.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
10 years 5 months ago #474173 by igor
Gumboots without socks unless the temperature is below freezing.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474216 by RhodeRed

igor;477137 wrote: Gumboots without socks unless the temperature is below freezing.

Your other half has no sense of smell left? [;)]

Norsewear farmers fleck for the win!

Although nothing beats homemade, ... my Nan was a knitting fiend in her time, my brother and I have still got 20 year old ribbed fishermans jerseys she made that have outlasted her. RIP :)

Been banging on at my 8 year old daughter that she has to wear socks with her gumboots/sneakers after about 2months ago when she came inside to have dinner and it took me a minute to work out "Hey! I didn't put any parmesan in this!"

More
10 years 5 months ago #474244 by igor
Sneakers are far worse than gumboots for retaining the smell. Especially teenager's sneakers, no matter how often they change their socks.
The best thing about not wearing socks is the ease of changing from gumboots to moccasins when entering the house.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474245 by Iniuk
Go Socks!
There is a big trend in the knitting world towards knitting socks, they're small projects, recipients are so pathetically grateful once they have worn them, they are soooo good at keeping feet warm, the pattern can be tweaked to fit your foot length and width, commercial woll wears well, handspun from a soft fleece is cuddly but a coarser one will last a whole lot better.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds