Creeping buttercup in horse pasture

More
10 years 5 months ago #36319 by Del
Says it all really. It's going nuts out there. I've been researching online, albeit only briefly and got myself a bit comfused so hope you good folk can simplify for me, please:
1: please give me a name of an effective herbicide (and where to buy)
2: please explain appropriate post spray withholding period for horses
3: post spraying, would there be any toxicity if my chooks start nibbling?

Thank you in advance for your help :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474071 by Cigar
My thoughts...
1. Flumetsulam (sold as Preside/Valdo/Decision). Depending on how much you need, Rainbow & Brown website sells the smallest pack, and at a good price including delivery. You need to add a wetting agent too. Safe for clover.
2. 14 days
3. Dunno
1a. 2,4-D (PastureKleen, Baton, etc), but these will knock clover. Available at most farm supplies stores, but pack size may be a problem (PastureKleen smallest pack is 5L, for about $150).
2a. PastureKleen is nil withholding for the product itself, other formulations may be different. BUT toxic weeds will be more palatable, so if these are present you need to withhold stock until they have died off completely.
3a. Dunno, but I would guess less likely to be an issue (than 1 above) since it has no stock withholding.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474075 by muri
Buttercup is a sign of both low pH and poor drainage/wet areas.
Improving the pH of your soil with lime will go some way to ameliorate the situation, giving it better drainage will also hep altho with horses this is not so easy.
You can spray all you like but it will come back if you dont really address the issue of it being there in the first place

More
10 years 5 months ago #474084 by Del
Thank you both. Cigar, I'm happy to knock back clover as well as one of my miniatures has laminitic tendencies, so I'll go for the 1a option I think. Muri, the soil has quite a high clay level, and also as it hasn't been run as a farm for many years hasn't had proper management. So I dare say you're right. I'll lime it too. Thank you, most appreciated.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474096 by Country Girl
I had it very bad in a paddock - wet wet wet but found when it was cross grazed with a couple of weaner calves it was still there but minimised heavily

A pessimist is never disappointed

More
10 years 5 months ago #474100 by LongRidge
I'm about to try liming my horse-sick orchard, when I get a round tuit.
CG, buttercup is mildly poisonous, so take the cattle off now and then. As for your second sentence, I'm glad that you understand the tone of my posts. The potential problems can be taken account of, when they are known :-).

More
10 years 5 months ago #474185 by jenni24
Pasturekleen (from RD1) dealt to our buttercup really well, and we made sure we kept the horse off the sprayed area for at least 2 weeks....

Mind you, I think the 5ltr bottle will keep us going for a lifetime, based on the size of our block. It was the smallest bottle we could buy.

Our chooks usually free-range, we kept them in the coup for 2 days after, but since theres no with holding period, we probably didn't have to do that. The risk is that toxic plants become more tasty while in the throws of dying off, but hopefully there are enough other tasty options available to our chooks?

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds