Help needed to milk my house cow!

More
10 years 6 months ago #473894 by Stikkibeek

Ronney;476720 wrote: I am sick to the back teeth of effing dial up. I wrote some pointers for you tonight DC, checked that I was still connected before submitting and then it came up that the page couldn't be displayed. I am good at colourful language[}:)]

I'll have another go tomorrow night, too tired to try doing it all again.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Write your reply in word or similar and save, then copy and paste into email/pm/forum etc just before you send. You will never lose your work again and the world will be a lot more peaceful (and drabber) for your lack of colourful language! [}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474501 by Doublecream
Update on milking Florance the cow - We are having no trouble with her entering the stall and the calf is by her side and well behaved. A couple of times we have had 1 litre of milk, but she does still kick and the back rope goes loose and she gets her leg out. I bought a kick stop from RD!1 and put it on her back but she nearly fell over and looked terribly uncomfortable. I am scared if she falls against the stall sides she could break them. Can anyway provide a good way of tying her leg- currently I tie her leg on the side we are milking and pull it diagonally behind her. It is a soft strong rope. What do people think of the Kickstop product? Am I using it wrong. :( If anyone lives near kumeu and could give me some pointers I would be eternally grafefull. Thanks

More
10 years 6 months ago #474505 by Stikkibeek
Is the kick stop a thing that looks like a bent bow, with ends coming around to more or less face each other? If so, it should be adjustable and you have to set it not too tight and not too loose. You insert one end under the flank and pull it up with enough tension to lift the top part over the spine. If they are fitted just right, they should not be too uncomfortable for the cow, but they still need to be firm enough to stay in place if the cow does kick or buck. You don't usually have to use them too long.
If she is getting her leg out of the leg rope, you may not be tying it correctly. YOu go round the leg, from inside to outside, round the rope behind the leg going over top, then underneath pull towards you a little to tighten, then backwards to pull her leg back. She might kick a bit here, but hang on until she settle. Put your hand on her back if you can. You should be able to keep far enough from her leg, so you don't get kicked. When she settles, tuck the rope through itself downwards, on your side of the leg with a looped piece of the rope. that will leave you a quick pull release if she gets very stroppy. Diagonal behind her is the correct direction for tying. Most cows settle quickly once they understand it doesn't hurt is they stand still.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 6 months ago #474508 by tonic
I would suggest you get help to tie the leg. With my cows they only had to have the leg tied a couple of times, they work out that they can't get their leg out after only a few kicks and stop fighting, but if they could get it out then I beleive they would fight harder next time.

Use a thick soft rope that can't cut in and tie short so that they can't get much force into the kick and then she will not be able to hurt herself or get free.

The rope I use is a horse rope with a loop at one end. I put it around the leg down low and thread the other end through the loop then tie off snug to a post just behind the leg. When she pulls her leg up the rope tightens slightly (it is snug already so it doesn't tighten much) and she can't pull her leg out at all. It is thick and soft and I haven't had any rubbing form it at all. A couple of attempts to pull free and my cows have given up, I put it on again each time if they try and kick and they soon stop.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474510 by Ruth
The leg has to be tied so that it's against a rail or post, doesn't it, so there's no movement possible at all? Otherwise a cow can definitely loosen any knot you tie which can safely be undone quickly.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474515 by tonic
Yes, tied snug against a post. If there is much movement then there is a greater chance of injury too.

More
10 years 6 months ago #475796 by craighill
we milk a house cow with machine which is old and noisy but works fine ,we have just bought a second cow off a local dairy farm,she has small teats and he was sick of holding the cups on until enough suction.
We also have another cow who is dry and in calf,we run them together and bring them both in and bail them both,feed them with cow nuts and a dollop of molasses (from Farmlands in 5kg container)on the top.cows prefer to have a mate and usually dont like being on their own.
the new cow was used to being milked but not our set up,after 2 weeks of walking round and round the yard before she could be convinced to go into bail,she now walks straight in and cleans up all the nuts and licks the container clean.
If you do this the container needs to be nailed down as they give it heaps ,
When we have a new calf we bring it in and put it in a pen at the cows head so she can see it .
I also spend a lot of time washing the teats with a cloth in warm water ,usually coz they are dirty but think it helps to get them to let milk down and relax .
Yes foot rope needs to be tight so she cant move ,and tied just above the hoof ,so foot must be off the ground and pulled back towards other leg and tied to itself with a half hitch ,dont have the tied leg touching any posts you need to be able to pull it undone easily.
I would also recommend lots of handling right from start and bringing her into bail for nuts even if she is not being milked.
now she is settled we are getting around 15 litres a day from 2 milkings ,so lots of cheese making going on

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds