Land Re-zoning, any experiences?

More
10 years 7 months ago #36213 by Tui Ridge
So in Auckland's draft Unitary Plan the new Rural Urban Boundary goes directly through our property with the top third (flat) zoned future urban and the back 2/3rds (sloping) remaining rural.

We've already had surveyors turn up completely unexpectedly with a letter from the council to survey the '100 yr flood plain' along the stream that runs on our bottom boundary.

And in todays local newspaper the land surrounding the school directly across the road from us has been ok'd (final permission from government due this month) to have 1000 [:0][xx(] houses developed starting in 6 months or so, first houses available by 2015.

We really don't want to be living here with all that development going on across the road from us. Main thing I need to consider is the kids schooling - they are years 2 and 4 so I don't want them to move from their school until at least year 6 (intermediate).

Arghhh!!! any experiences out there of being re-zoned and developed [}:)]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472994 by muri
The 'urban' part of your property would be considerably more valueable because it could be subdivided for housing.
You may be able to subdivide this bit off and make considerably more on your property had it not had a change of zoning.
It could enable you to sell up and buy further out away from the development and do well out of it had you not had some of your property rezoned.
How big is your property and how big is the area to be zoned urban?
The Unitary plan had been available for public inspection and comment prior to its approval but because many people dont know about planning processes, dont get involved until they find their property re-zoned

More
10 years 7 months ago #472998 by Tui Ridge
We're on 15 acres + we are grazing the neighbours back 8 acres or so.

When the initial RUB plans were released we were just outside the proposed re-zoned areas but the actual draft was released a couple of weeks ago and its quite different :rolleyes:

I suspect (which has been backed-up by a friend who is a large land owner / does developments) that when this land is 'rezoned' it will be alll of the property excluding the flood zones not just the flat bit at the top.

Hubby has just started a new job (1 week ago) which means its now possible for us to move further away but it was more in the 5 year plan not next few months :rolleyes:[}:)] need to make sure he is happy in his new job and don't want to move the kids until they need to change schools for intermediate / high school.

Though i've just realised that this means 1000 more families in zone for our little country school [xx(]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
10 years 7 months ago #473027 by 4trees
Hi Tui, you mention that originally the area to be divided was not near your property now the draft plan is out it is right close. This is only the draft plan so you can put in submissions and also if there are enough submissions it will often alter the boundary lines for the developement. Good luck, and keep an eye on the plan, go to the council website and there will be a copy of the draft plan on there, or get the council to send you a copy. There could be changes also to permitted activities which if it the plan goes ahead and is close to you it could mean you are limited in what type of stock you can have, and the distances from boundaries for instance chooks, pigs etc are allowed to be. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 7 months ago #473032 by Tui Ridge
We are reasonably OK with what is being proposed with the Unitary Plan and the new Rural urban boundary. We've been following it and have read all the info etc.

As Muri says, it should mean that at some stage down the track our land will be desirable to a developer and we should get good money for it. But we were expecting that to be a few years away and a slower type of development - at the point they started developing next to us etc. we could then sell up before it affects us too much.

But this development is actually separate to the unitary plan it is part of the governments plan to add 38000 new houses in auckland quickly (announced last week at a press conference) and has caught us by surprise.

More
10 years 7 months ago #473033 by arnie.m
Here in Richmond Nelson an area was rezoned and the land owners rates tripled.[:(!][:(!]

I think it went from rural residential to Light Industrial. So be careful and check every thing out before the closing of any submissions.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
10 years 7 months ago #473067 by MurrayR
You would be most welcome at Mangatangi, in the sunny Waikato.

You can cheer for the "Chiefs" here.

The lovely school goes up to std 6 (form2)

We could swap curly horned rams.

More
10 years 7 months ago #473074 by Tui Ridge

MurrayR;475913 wrote: You would be most welcome at Mangatangi, in the sunny Waikato.

You can cheer for the "Chiefs" here.

The lovely school goes up to std 6 (form2)

We could swap curly horned rams.

:D

Yes, that is 1 area we are going to look at. Hubby is working at Manukau so anywhere with good access to SH1 would work well. Or up in the Bombays between there and here [;)]

but the Steelers are doing so damm well at the moment [^] :p

More
10 years 7 months ago #473075 by max2
I bet on one certainly, your rates are going to go up. [}:)]

More
10 years 7 months ago #473077 by stephclark
no idea about the plan affects our place.. none the less my rates have shot up .. over 3300 pa.. last year it was 2100pa.. [:(!][:(!][:0]

More
10 years 7 months ago #473083 by Ashlee
It sounds like your property may be within a 'Special Housing Area' under the Auckland Housing Accord which would explain the unexpected development across the road from you. This is different to typical future urban zoning because the developments have fast-tracked consent processes and limited notification.
However, it is hard to fully understand your situation with the limited information on here.

More
10 years 7 months ago #473089 by Tui Ridge

Ashlee;475930 wrote: It sounds like your property may be within a 'Special Housing Area' under the Auckland Housing Accord which would explain the unexpected development across the road from you. This is different to typical future urban zoning because the developments have fast-tracked consent processes and limited notification.
However, it is hard to fully understand your situation with the limited information on here.

Ashlee, I think you're right - not us but the land across from us must be a 'Special Housing Area', and our land is part of the future urban zoning.

More
10 years 7 months ago #473096 by muri
I had the feeling that these special housing areas were actually set out in the Unitary Plan and then fast tracked by the government, certainly that was the case for Rodney and I understood that Pukekohe was under the same scheme.
We, our local community, and individuals, made submissions to the Unitary Plan, particularly based on transport, or lack of in this area.
None of it was listened to of course, and we all know what the mayor was up to during this process probably

More
10 years 7 months ago #473108 by spoook
Watch out for the " shared land value uplift ". I am not sure if it will happen but it could be a costly excercise if you sell when the land is rezoned and worth more.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds