How do folks keep track of lambs?

More
10 years 8 months ago #36199 by Woolpatch
Hi all,

I want to tag my lambs so that I know which mum they came from and which are twins and triplets. My girls don't let me get near them so the only chance for tagging I have is in the yards. I've waited until now so the lambs are robust enough not to get crushed in there however once in the yards there is no way of telling which lambs are which! Even in the paddocks it's hard to tell since they all play together and it's only really when they are drinking that I can tell which lambs belong to who.

Short of using a paintball gun on them when they're feeding :) I can't think of an easy way to do it, any ideas welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #472863 by igor
Observe them quietly for a few hours and you will more than likely begin to notice differences. At first glance they all look like sheep but some may have spots on their ears, longer horns, no horns at all, or some other identifying thing.

More
10 years 8 months ago #472864 by kate
We usually tag our kids with numbered tags then make a note of which number kid drinks from which mum and link them that way.

Web Goddess

More
10 years 8 months ago #472867 by Ruth
Can you tag them with numbers, then raddle different stripes and shapes on their sides so that when they return to their mothers for a feed you can see who's who? If you can't tell the ewes apart, raddle them as well.

Don't raddle too far down the body, or you won't see it easily. Stripes right over the back and down each side are easy to see from a distance and long stripes along the sides.

How many have you?

More
10 years 8 months ago #472871 by terralee
I just recognise my guys[:0] ...this is Daphne (4 years old now) with her twin daughters (Daffodil and Dahlia) from last year and her triplet daughters (Piggle Giggle and Jiggle) born this year :D they all look similar but have different personalities[^][;)] They still hang out as a family :)

Cheers

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/475696=13115-lambs and mo 021.jpg[/img]

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 8 months ago #472872 by Deanna
I only know a few of mine due to marks, I have written down any identifying traits. But at the end of the day, its not an issue as all the boys will head to sale or the freezer.

12 ram lambs to 4 ewe lambs here, for heavens sake!

Forgot to say, the other thing I do when I make notes because I have so few, is give them Names that have meaning, so Nigel was born to a mum that needed assistance and then didn't want to know him, hence 'No Friends'. There for giving me info on him and his mum.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 8 months ago #472877 by Woolpatch
Thanks all, I didn't think of marking them during tagging and then observing them later to see where they go that's genius!

Terralee I don't know how you do that, I'm no where near as observant :rolleyes:

Deanna I had the exact same ratio of boys last year but this year thankfully I'm flooded with girls. I'm only using half my grass so far so I've been praying for girls!

Ruth I have 14 ewes and 5 hogget's (which weren't mated last year) and 19 lambs

More
10 years 8 months ago #472878 by RaeM1
Spray on raddle that they use for marking cows should work!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #472880 by Deanna
Guess I can hope for next year lol. I'd need another ram, if I was keeping any ewe lambs anyway, or have to keep them separate till a good selling time later on. But as I had 2 full shedding ewes I wood have liked ewe lambs from them. But neither have lambed yet, though one looks ready to go any day, if her udders are anything to go by. Good to now there's hope!

So far in order of appearance: we have George (after our future King) black mark behind the back knee
Nigel- black mark lower front foot
Katie - ewe (mum) small and shaggy
Sweetpea - from Black eyed Pea (mum has black line above eye)
Lexi - Very plain faced mum with no ear tag.
32 too- ram lamb from 32
Bill & Ben from 52 (also green mark top of neck)
Oracle -
Jennifer- lamb has black spot in right ear, mum has brass tag
Cameron - mum has white tag
Weed eater - mum is Suffolk X called Lawnmower
Chase - had to catch mum to help, mum is Spooky ( has weird eyes)
Decan - texel X mum Lawn mower had to help mum as he was stuck, grandson staying named him
Tiny - ewe has a white ear tag
Lanky-

I have all the dates they were born too.

Number 17 arrived today 17/10/13 ANOTHER ram lamb, so the boys have it 13/4, his mum is a blackish faced Sufolk X so have called him Sooty. Our Ram (Trevor) sure wanted his genes around in the future!

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 8 months ago #472886 by Stu_R
:) um i dont tag or mark my sheep ,.. but i only have 9 ewes now and Lucky Wether as keepers .. and 13 lambs :) .. i just know them all .. even the lambs i name then when they born and i can look at lambs running and playing in paddock and i know who they are .. all sheep are different :) .. when you know them they easy to tell apart :)
.. he says with Jillybean lamb sitting on his lap and making it hard to type as she has her head resting on my left arm :) .. and Pongo lamb is asleep in the lounge chair :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #472889 by John M
I only have 15 ewes and now 25 lambs. Most get caught and ear tagged on day 2 with a marker pen to nominate mum and a, b or c.

I have just bought larger numbered tags for all the ewes, as they mainly had smaller tags from different farms. It'll make identifying the mum a lot easier.

I keep a simple excel doc running with birth date, what thy had and any comments that might influence if I keep the ewe, and or lambs.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
10 years 8 months ago #472890 by muri
When you get them into the yards I never have a problem identifying mother and lamb as when they are separated and calling to each other, its easy to match them up.
Observe them in the yards for a while and you will slowly notice that they do pair up, if not physically, at least vocally

More
10 years 8 months ago #472898 by bevhawkins
I photograph mine with their mums and have a file with every sheep and records of drenching, vacs etc

More
10 years 8 months ago #472909 by Stu_R
i had 17 ewes last season and ended up with 32 lambs .. all lambs were named at birth .. and i could always tell who was who :) .. um when your close to your sheep .. they are all very different and are easy to tell apart :) :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #472962 by Woolpatch
With the exception of a few lambs they all look like little clones to me... I'm amazed to hear people can tell them apart even 32 Stu_R!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds