Windy Woes...

More
10 years 6 months ago #36183 by farmer.bro
Windy Woes... was created by farmer.bro
Are we all experiencing bad winds at the moment? or is it just me?

I'm hoping that I've not just moved from one windy hellhole to another. Unfortunately I suffer from weather related depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the wind is my trigger. :(

I've just started to doubt my whole move here :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472726 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Windy Woes...
Cheer up, I know how you feel, the wind affects me too so I find of heaps of things to do on windy days so I can ignore it.
I dont think anywhere is free from this wind and they have had it much worse in wellington and the south island than we are getting here - 130km winds is powerful.
Lots of wind at this time of the year could indicate the start of the La Nina weather pattern

More
10 years 6 months ago #472728 by Ferg
Replied by Ferg on topic Windy Woes...
We got it down in dunedin aswell. My friend has his rather large caravan stored on my property and i watched in horror yesterday morning as the wind picked it up of the ground and it did a full somersault and landed back on its wheels, a bit worse for wear i might add.

sent from my Samsung galaxy.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472729 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Windy Woes...
Have you looked at the weather map? We're all getting it. I nearly got blown off my bike an hour ago.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472730 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Windy Woes...
The wind has died down here now but a couple of corrugated iron shelters went walkabout including one that apparently hurdled a fence....

Now all I need is the sleep I didn't get last night :)

Web Goddess

More
10 years 6 months ago #472731 by farmer.bro
Replied by farmer.bro on topic Windy Woes...
Thanks muri, I'll try and stay positive.

The winds we are getting here at the moment seem just as bad as the one we used to get all the time in Wellington... and I moved out of Wellington because I hated the wind.

The fact that I am up on a small hill and the owners demolished all the trees around the house doesn't help, though they were in very poor shape and needed to be removed. I'll be talking to them about re-establishing some sort of windbreak quick smart.

I suppose it does ease my mind a little that we're all experiencing it at the moment.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472732 by farmer.bro
Replied by farmer.bro on topic Windy Woes...

Ruth;475535 wrote: Have you looked at the weather map? We're all getting it. I nearly got blown off my bike an hour ago.

I did try and look at the weather map, but I'll be honest I don't know how to read them that well.

I understand the colours for the rain, and the satellite image, but the lines/pressure levels etc I have no idea about.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472734 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Windy Woes...
really bad here for the past 3 days & nights !! Lots of trees down, branches and rubbish flying everywhere. My compost lid has flown away. Power outage early this morning for about two hours (better than a couple of weeks ago when it was out for several days)
I'm sure it will end soon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472736 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Windy Woes...
Spring is always windy, I reckon, no matter where you are in NZ...but this one does seem particularly gusty! Maybe it's just my memory failing (...in my day, etc etc etc) [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 6 months ago #472739 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Windy Woes...
Mo my horse nearly broke her leg when a big polystyrene box flew past her and carried on to ....probably Australia:eek: gave her a heck of a fright ...she got a magnesium sandwich to calm her nerves[;)] animals hate wind
...My barefoot trimmer was due at 11 but rang and cancelled ...her gates had all been lifted off their hinges and her mini's and big horses were all mixed up.
Have seen some flying iron and debris and two big trees down at the neighbours but I don't think we are getting it as bad as down the line did so take heart farmer.bro .....it'll all BLOW over[;)][;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 6 months ago #472745 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Windy Woes...

farmer.bro;475539 wrote: I did try and look at the weather map, but I'll be honest I don't know how to read them that well.

I understand the colours for the rain, and the satellite image, but the lines/pressure levels etc I have no idea about.

Metservice has a useful "learn how to read weather maps" section on the site somewhere. If the isobars are close together, there'll be strong winds. If there's a big high over Northland, it'll still be raining where I am.

about.metservice.com/about-metservice/le...o-read-weather-maps/

More
10 years 6 months ago #472750 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Windy Woes...
I've had to rescue my vege garden from the large branch that has come down on it :rolleyes:

The 2 baby alpacas dont know whether to run away from the leaves swirling around in their paddock or chase them - very amusing watching them :D

I think the wind has come from at least 3 different directions today - one of which brought the branch down from a completely different direction then normal.

But it does always seem to be windy at this time of year - I always complain that the wind destroys all my fruit blossoms [:(!]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #472770 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Windy Woes...

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
10 years 6 months ago #472774 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Windy Woes...
Haha Mo's magnesium sandwich must have worked ...she slept in her house for over an hour ...went and grazed then back to sleep some more[^]

Weather still windy but settling down a little ...hopeful the worst has passed :)

Cheers

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/475586=13099-Mixed up animals 038.jpg[/img]

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 6 months ago #472800 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Windy Woes...
thank goodness... it's calming down.. goat house blew away yesterday and I could barely stand while trying to rescue it.. holy moley it was nasty...

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds