My skinny mini! Doesn't like supplementary feed...

More
10 years 6 months ago #472593 by charlotte1
One of my minis an elderly lady has always been trim and "horsey" looking, I have owned her for most of her 27 years so know her well. When I had the vet out in the past I was concerned about her light build compared to her paddock mates however vet gave her clean bill of health and said that her weight was great it was the mates that had the problem.

From what I can see in the picture she looks fine, just a finer type of mini. Feel for ribs, are they easy to feel or do you need to poke a bit to find them.

Is she an appy, looks like she has mottling on her face, do you know her breeding?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472595 by googmeister
Hi ;I have 2 minis ;one has been prone to laminitis as well. The other is a natural chub [;)] Your one there looks a finer boned mini like my girl. The rule of thumb is you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them. Sounds like maybe the teeth need looking at. Gary from Hunterville Vet Club is great. He does our horses. If you can get your mini to eat hay only give meadow hay not red clover hay (too much sugar!). [:0]I basically control my minis eating by strip grazing them and only giving a small amount of extra a day. The grass is growing very quickly at the moment so watch they don't gorge themselves.Good luck. :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #472602 by muri
The pony looks in good condition to me, I would not think she is borderline emaciated, her rump is well rounded.
The highest sugar levels are early in the morning so if moving onto new grass or moving on the tape, always do it after mid morning, afternoon is even better.
Many people pen their horses and let them out early in the morning, thats when the grass has the highest sugar levels, so avoid these times for letting them out

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
10 years 6 months ago #472631 by Del
Thanks everyone, it's really helpful to hear of your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Charlotte, yes, she is a bit appy. Clear spotting on lips, face, girly bits and the flea bitten look over her coat. According to papers, Dam was an appy, sire buckskin. Apparently she's "silver chocolate" :confused: :) . In my day, horses came in grey, bay, chestnut and black, with the odd palomino and pinto thrown in :D

She's a tall Cat B mini, and from a distance looks quite horsey.

She is fine boned, her cannon bones for example are decidedly slimmer than her Cat A paddock mate. Not that I'm making excuses, she is too light: yes, I can feel ribs, but they're not right on the surface, and they're not visible - but I think they likely would be if she was clipped. Not frighteningly so - I have seen horses in appalling condition, and she is not that!

She's had very generous strip grazing through the weekend, on extremely lush grass, (alongside her mate, princess garbage guts, in her Hannibal Lecter mask), which will continue through the week. I'm making enquiries around someone to do her teeth, so if anyone can recommend someone in the Palmy area, would appreciate it.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472640 by googmeister
Hi Del; as I mentioned in my post Gary from Hunterville Vet Club is great and he travels to the Palmy area . Totally Vets also has a dentist but they are a bit dearer .My 2 minis have exactly the same feed regime and one is a chub (gelding)and the other(mare)is finer boned.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472647 by kindajojo
now she is not upside down, she looks ok weight wise but I would not be letting her go any further. Has she always been light. Sometimes we get so used to seeing overweight animals we forget that thin is actually ok

More
10 years 6 months ago #472650 by Del

kindajojo;475442 wrote: now she is not upside down, she looks ok weight wise but I would not be letting her go any further. Has she always been light. Sometimes we get so used to seeing overweight animals we forget that thin is actually ok

She's certainly lighter now than when she came to me, but I've only had her a couple of months. Ideally, I think she should be somewhere in between the two. Personally, IMHO I've seen a lot of too-fat pet ponies, which is a laminitis risk. However, keeping them slim when they're not in work is a bit of a fine line, and the thick coats minis have make them look wider than they are, (the drastic "makeover" effect of clipping shows this), and as such hides early signs of weight loss.

It's a good reminder for me that the two of them have different food intake requirements - She's also more active than her paddock mate, has a long, high stepping trot and it's always her starting the mini-stampedes: I got a good laugh watching her having a good gallop around this morning - they look so cute with their teeny-tiny-ness bucking and pig jumping, and turning on a die. :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #472651 by kindajojo
She cant be sick if she can jump around like that, lol. I would lay off the molasses and anything with oats.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472746 by Baroque
I would get the teeth checked [by a proper horse dentist, not a vet] and also drench again maybe with a different drench such as eqvalan or genesis if you are concerned about her weight and weight loss.

I agree that she looks a little bit on the light side but a bit on the light side is much better than foundering! You should be able to just see and feel the ribs - if in doubt use the well known condition scoring pictures as a guideline.

Good that you are using a grazing muzzle to keep the porky one under control, I have grazing muzzles on all my horses apart from my young stallion and I am about to put one on him too so he will leave his friend alone and not keep taking his one off as he does NOT need to be pigging out on grass!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472747 by Baroque
Definitely lay off molasses and oats and anything else fattening!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472808 by muri
I think if one was wanting to give a true picture of a horses condition, a photo of it standing with its head up, and standing square would give a better impression of the horse.
When a horse has its head down eating, its whole shape is different from when it is standing so it is harder to get a good impression of its true condition.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472833 by sundaysbest
It's not Charm is it? Man she looks like Charm!!
She doesn't look emaciated, but I would be getting her teeth checked, mini's have mental mouths, so that would be your first port of call.
Also drenching her might pay off, I did my two, twice (2 weeks apart) with an ivermec based drench. Then at your next rotation opt for something from one of the other drench families.
Absolutely NO mollassed, or grain feeds.
Speedi or Ezy Beet is a great (low/no sugar) product to feed the minis, and choose a formulated pellet such as dunstan All 4 Feet, or even just a general conditioner type thing, rather than a pellet like "prydes polished" to add to it for "flavor and goods". It's important lammy or any ponies get salt. Absolutely NO molllased Winslow buckets, just a plain old salt lick and usually a TSP in their dinners. I'm not a huge fan of feeding chaff to the wee ones, as they eat so much roughage anyways with limited grass ( think lawn bowling green!) and hay.
Hope all goes well for your lot... I love my minis!!!

More
10 years 6 months ago #472899 by bevhawkins
I feed my ponies on 'Safe and Sound'and speed beet all for sensitive equines.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds