My skinny mini! Doesn't like supplementary feed...

More
10 years 6 months ago #36161 by Del
I have 2 miniature horses, one of which has laminitis issues (prior to me taking her). They're purely pets/lawnmowers/garden feed producers. I'm very conscious of the laminitic one, so monitor grazing closely and utilise a grazing muzzle as necessary.

Noting today than the other mini was looking too light for my liking (I know! A skinny mini... Who'd have thought), I decided to mix her up a supplementary feed. I had meadow chaff on hand, added half a cup of molasses and a cup of rolled oats from the pantry. She had a bit of a sniff and a couple of wee nibbles and wasn't interested! Molasses and oats! Not interested? What kind of horse are you :D - and yes, I know she was hungry, as she was in a very sparse paddock and trying to graze through the fence.

She's healthy and is in fine spirit, and I've just moved them into better grass, which she's happily chowing down (her poor wee friend is about to get the Hannibal Lector muzzle applied though...), so there's no urgency here, I'm sure she'll gain condition, but has anyone else had a similar experience, and any advice on what I might feed her should it be necessary again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472532 by katieb
how old is she?

whats her worm drench history?

how long have you had her?

has she lost her winter coat?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 6 months ago #472534 by Del
Hi Katie, she's 7. I don't know her worming history, but on the first day I got her (9 weeks ago) I gave them both Equest. Packet says they only need doing at 16 week intervals which I thought was a little unusual, but then again, it's been a good few years since I had horses! Going by the manure, I don't think we have a worm issue, ie, it's well formed and there is no evidence of worms in it.
She has lost her winter coat... Well, certainly a lot of it! She's still very furry to my mind, but I understand that's a mini thing. Coat is regular though, no patches.
I think she's in good health, just a bit light. I'll go and take a pic and see if I can post it.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472537 by Del
I'm having some attachment issues! Anyway, as you see, she's not emaciated or anything like that, but she has a visible belly-line under her ribcage, and slight hollows in front of her hips.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
10 years 6 months ago #472540 by katieb
she doesnt really have a shine to her coat does she?.... its hard to tell from the pic(I turned up the right way lol)

if the fatty has a shine to its coat & this one doesnt I would be getting a blood test done as she may be lacking in something.... not sure how much it costs but less time consuming than guessing whats wrong & giving this that & the other thing when the pony doesnt need it... the bloods can indicate if theres any infection or a possible worm burdon(something to do with white blood cell count I think)

I have 3 minis, 2 are always fat & the other (an older gelding) is taller & doesnt get very fat but doesnt get as light as your girl when living on next to nothing, he gets really hairy in the winter, him & the mare moult about the same time & the stallion a little earlier

coat condition & moulting helps to give you an idea of their health

I have 10 horses & ponies 14.1-16.2hh, aged 3-27(most are teenagers).... they have been living as a herd for the winter & they are all looking healthy..shiny coats, the only ones left with a bit of winter coat is the youngest & the oldest, but this would come out with a better grooming, the only one that could do with more weight on is the 23yr old 16.2TB so ive started feeding him gumnuts & fibrepro

we had one 14.1hh pony for a couple of years who looked horrible after winter & bloods couldnt tell us what was wrong except a possible worm burdon so a 5 day drench(cant remember name) was given as well as extra grass & she looked way better within a few weeks

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 6 months ago #472546 by Stikkibeek
Rub your hand along the outside of her cheek, where her molars are and see if you get an "ouch" from her, or you can feel sharpish protrusions. Could be sharp points on her teeth. To check the inside of teeth you need to take hold of tongue and pull out to one side then the other. Tell tale for inner sharps will be little cuts along the edge of tongue. If any sign of this, get a horse dentist to rasp her teeth.

As for supplementary feed. If she has never had molasses before, it's not unusual for them to reject it. I had a big poor doing horse once that was actually scared of the smell of it. He used to snort and run away trumpeting. A little lucerne hay might be better for her than anything with oats in it.

And for goodness sake, stand her upright. Grazing the ceiling is probably detrimental to her health, although she makes a good billy goat impersonator. :D :D [}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 6 months ago #472547 by Del
I agree, she doesn't have much shine, but neither does the other one. I've put that down to the heavy coat, rightly or wrongly. I had horses and ponies growing up, (smallest 14.1hh) but they were all very fine coated, covered year round and hardfed, so it's hard for me to make a judgement call on coat health of lil' furballs. To be fair, she could do with more grooming, and come the next fine day, a good shampooing. That thick coat certainly holds a lot of dirt.

For now, my plan is just to get a bit more condition on her, with extra grass. I think the problem is simply that I've done her too hard. She doesn't like hay either... Apparently food only comes in green... We have ample grass for her, so I expect she'll be fine in a couple of weeks. If not I'll look into the bloods option.

however, I'm a bit concerned that if we go into drought again this summer she'll drop back down given her disdain for hay and "horse food", so I'd welcome any suggestions for what a picky eater might go for. I'm pretty sure buckets of carrots and apples isn't a great idea...

More
10 years 6 months ago #472548 by Del
Ooh, teeth, I never thought about that! Thanks - I will follow those instructions tomorrow. I have a feeling that could be on the money though, because she is very touchy around the cheeks, and now I think about it, she does eat rather delicately.

Will work on the upside down grazing bit... Gravity always wins... :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #472549 by Foxwell
I have a potentially laminitic horse that isn't that keen on hay, but he gobbles up haylage.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472554 by muri
If the two horses are grazing together with little feed then she would be on the light side. My neighbour has paddocks full of skinny minis so they do exist.
If a horse has never had hard feed then there is no reason why it should start on it now.
Just start her with two sliced carrots in a bucket, then the next day the same but add a little bit of chaff -[ lucerne chaff as suggested may be a bit rich for a little mini as it is higher in protein than oaten chaff].
Then you could add bits, but i would leave out the molasses, not all horses like it at all

More
10 years 6 months ago #472562 by bevhawkins
If she is laminitic NO molasses, lucerne chaff and no grass. Best to have a light pony than heavy, I yard my welsh x this time of year, with soaked hay. If you have to feed her try 'Safe and Sound'and Speedibeet.No carrots or apples either.If you can feel a pounding pulse on her fetlock she is already laminitic.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472565 by judes
I am sorry but I think that mini is bordering on emaciation. I have 1 mini here that i need to keep an eye on as he doesn't do as well as the others on the same feed. I would give your horse unlimited access to grass for a few weeks and get its teeth done in the mean time. If it is teeth then try and give it access to longer grass. Also maybe a worm with the new wormer that does the red worms as well, sorry the name escapes me, a pot belly often indicates a worm burden.
Minis lose and gain weight relatively quickly so this mini needs a daily inspection to assess its condition. I wont cover my hard to feed mini (unless its really cold) coz he drops weight so fast.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472566 by judes
A little trick for laminitic ponies is, no sugary stuff but when you do feed hay and chaff etc add barley straw chopped up. this is a neutral nutrient filler. It will allow the pony to eat for longer periods of time without making it fatter etc. This allows the body sugar levels to stay at a more constant level for longer periods of the day rather than spiking at feed times.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472567 by muri
Bev, she is referring to the non-laminitic pony

More
10 years 6 months ago #472572 by stephclark
emm for my 2p worth, she is a little light.. definitely check teeth, worm them both again ( always good after winter anyway )..
agree with the 'what is that ' reaction in a bucket[;)].. if she hasn't had molasses in the past, she might not know what its all about.. same with garlic and cider vinegar.. introduce slowly..
I had a horse who, when offered apple, thought I was trying to poison him! :D ..he had never had them before..

I have a girly that I thought I would give a treat to the other day.. that thistle milk weed that they love.. not her ran away and glared at the small bundle from a distance..

can be funny fussy things

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds