Shearing plant opinions

More
10 years 7 months ago #36149 by andik
Hi there,
We've been looking into options for getting our own shearing gear. Up until now we've got the neighbour to do our sheep when he's got a shearer in, but we now have angora goats and I'm not sure the shearers are going to like them! We have 9 angoras and on average half a dozen sheep to shear, but not all at the same time. We've been looking on trademe at a kit that costs around $150 which is described as a 320W Heavy Duty Wool Clipper...any idea whether that kind of thing is worthwhile, or do you really need something a bit more... industrial?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation,
Andi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472410 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Shearing plant opinions
When I tried to shear a real sheep with a real commercial handpiece etc, I cut the animal so badly that I decided to not try again. The other problem with doing shearing yourself is that the staple must be cut only once, or it becomes much less valuable if you have to do a second stroke.
So get some lessons, and some old sheep to practice on before you try to shear your valuable wool animals.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472451 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Shearing plant opinions
Our neighbour bought one - it did the job fine, but went blunt fast (that might have been the dags, hmmm!) so get the extra blade with it or you'll only get half the job done at once.

LR's right about the cuts - you can do a lot of damage with whirring shears. *And* these sheep weren't used to the noise, and so tried to kick the shears, and us . All in all, an energising experience :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #472454 by The Kats Place
I bought a mains power one from trademe, had a friend who was a shearer look at it, and he has since used it and finds it OK. I can manage it no trouble, and I did my first sheep at age 58 (I'm female) My friend sharpened the blade for me when he used it. I had a choice of 2 and my friend advised me to get the one with the strongest motor and the roundest handset. One had a more square handset which may have become uncomfortable. I got mine from somewhere in christchurch, about $165 from memory. I don't do the flashest job, but I keep the girls comfortable and clean.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 7 months ago #472457 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Shearing plant opinions
I've shorn sheep with an electric handpiece, but it's a lot harder than with a proper handpiece because of the extra bulk and length, but then again they are a lot cheaper than buying a shearing plant. The one I used was a Sunbeam, they make conventional shearing gear so are probably better quality than most. Heiniger also make electric versions that look a better size and shape.
I wouldn't recommend trying shearing live animals without some training, handpieces can do serious damage to animals (and people), such as hamstringing and "bootlacing".

More
10 years 7 months ago #472471 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Shearing plant opinions
I use a Heiniger 12 volt battery powered unit as I have no power at my yards. I keep the vehicle running to maintain power to the handpiece as I'm slowww. The cutter and comb must be sharp and they really need to be sharpened by someone experienced but I guess everyone starts sometime. I work on the principal that if I get most of the wool off and leave most of the skin on then the job is done. There are books on how-to available and the odd web site will show postioning of the sheep which is all important. If you have a go, just do 1 or 2 at a time to start. Good luck.

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds