SHEARING AFTER LAMBING

More
10 years 5 months ago #475008 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
A bit late for today but might be useful to someone else: www.business.govt.nz/healthan...gGuideline.pdf

Hope all went well with your lot Deanna. It's always great to get the wool off :)

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475012 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
Link above not connected....................

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 5 months ago #475016 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
I removed the water this morning, but they hadn't drunk much. I feel a but sorry for them its extremely hot here today and they are uncovered and the shearer has yet to arrive. But I was very pleased with myself being able to separate the 10 fully shed ewes and the fully shed ram, from the 11 not fully shed Whiltshire ewes and the 6 x breeds. I have marked the ewes that didn't fall in, and I have marked for full shedding. Seriously thinking about selling off the non shedders. As how many we have less than we had, is no real issue, and ultimately all shedding is what we are aiming for. What does anyone think.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475018 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
Hi Deana when it comes to the wilti, decide what characteristics you want and select each year for those. Good doers are my first preference, shedding and conformation is second. So get rid of anything that doesn't lamb well, or needs drenching then the ones that don't shed. Keep the offspring of the best ewes as replacements and within a couple years you will have good stock.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475021 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
I agree, decide what you want and get rid of the ones that don't fit. As far as poor shedding goes, decide when you want them shed by but remember that they often vary each year. My full shedders are sometimes fully shed by now, but this year are only half shed. I am not worried about it, they will shed fully just a bit later than usual.
I am stricter on the lambs, they should shed fully by weanging/selling or they don't get sold as breeders but as freezer fillers.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475024 by Deanna
As all mine were 1 st timers, the girls that didnt fall in get another chance. Only 14 lambed from 22. All lambed pretty well, with no loses. As we only got 4 girls to 11 boys (one set of twins) with the Wilties, there's only 4 to keep, whether their mums shed or not.

I didnt realise the lambs shed that early. So by 4 months you reckon?

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475025 by kindajojo
We're you lambing them as hoggets, that's not a great strike rate?

What is your ram like?

More
10 years 5 months ago #475030 by Deanna
They were born Sept 2012, so hoggets? Out of 28 ewes (6 X breeds) he got 17 in lamb. ( One unexplained half developed fetus in thepaddock). Some say I should give those other ewes another season, as they may not have been heavy enough? Some say I should get a 2nd ram? All new to me, so I just listen to everything everyone says and try and make an informed decision. This is him straight after we got him in 20th March born Sept 2012 too. So only young himself, the same age as the ewes.

File Attachment:

More
10 years 5 months ago #475040 by kindajojo
if you lambed them as hoggets then thats pretty good percentage. I see you are in the south island so the shedding may be a month to 6 weeks later than the North Island.
He looks like a nice ram.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475045 by Deanna
Thanks kindajoja, he is lovely, mild mannered, and easy going. Although we have all joked about his good manners with the girls, as he definitely wined and dined them before doing the deed. He was bought from a good breeder, who does bloods on all the flock, and had good numbers. In fact they wanted me to let them know how he did. Next year will be different I'm sure.

All the non shedders are now shorn, and probably feeling better for it, I could have given them till Jan, but the neighbours were having shearing done, so I took advantage of the passing shearer.

I am intrigued that the lambs will shed soon, they appear to have so little coat, although they are still young. Our lambs didn't start till 1st Sept and finished 21st Oct. So not early at all. The Ram went in on the 18th of March.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475046 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
regarding your lambing dates, our hoggets always lamb later than the older ewes, never before september, and if the ram is a youngster too it seems to make the older ewes a bit later than usual also. So your lambing dates fit for the ages of your sheep in my opinion.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475048 by Deanna
Well its been an interesting 1st year, coming up mid Dec. I'm sure next year will be interesting with the likelihood of more twins. The one set we got, were just there in the morning. There were less than a hand full of ewes that required a small amount of help at the end, with one requiring up to the elbow stuff (only one front foot forward) and one stuck as the two front feet not forward enough. And we made it, unscathed. No deaths thankfully. I even sheared 12 sheep. Onwards and upwards, I'm enjoying this new learning curve! But especially the support in here.

More
10 years 5 months ago #475434 by Tatjna
Replied by Tatjna on topic SHEARING AFTER LAMBING
I know I'm late to the party here (story of my life) but I thought folks might be interested in the thing about wool 'lifting' after lambing.

Usually it doesn't start to lift properly until the biggest demand for feeding from the lamb/s is over with, and that's about 3-6 weeks post lambing. If the ewe is feeding twins or the feed doesn't come away well while she's feeding them, it may take even longer.

You can get away with leaving them this late to shear (I'm doing lots of ewes with lambs right now), and giving them a good big belly crutch pre-lamb will help keep the udders and rear ends clean till you can get to a full shear. I wouldn't leave it any later than 6-8 weeks post lambing though, because any break in the wool would start to move up the staple after that, and reduce its value/usefulness.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds