Lamb with swollen front 'knee'

More
10 years 7 months ago #472278 by cowvet

daerfamily;475024 wrote: Yes shot of ABs given.

why - if it is not thought to be bacterial?

Quite honestly I would never not give antibiotics for a swollen joint in a young lamb....how you can be absolutely sure it is not bacterial without doing a sterile ''joint tap"' and culture is beyond me.
ALWAYS cover your butt with antibiotics is my motto!

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472280 by LongRidge
A very good motto, too. One of the vets in the practice does not like using a/bs, unfortunately for the animals that died. Fortunately, another knew that 1ml Norocillin LA per 10kg bodyweight in sheep and goats nearly cures scald and footrot. Since learning that, our sheep and goats have had a huge amount of pain relief.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472291 by daerfamily
Yes she said she gave it to him to cover all bases, so best to be sure, and in all honesty I would rather she have done that than not done that. I called the neighbours this morning, they said he is hopping about looking kind of cute with his splint on lol. We'll be home Thursday to a bill.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472311 by LongRidge
Lambs don't have bills. Or is it a duck? :-)
I would leave the splint on for as long as it will stay, then don't replace it. After seeing how well Yellow 2 recovered after having both left legs broken when she played football with the donkeys (she was the football I think), she recovered well with the splint we made for the bad break, and didn't make for the front break.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472337 by The Kats Place
Please he had the AB's anyway as I had one that the vet swore wasn't joint ill, - it was and I lost him, the second vet cut the knee open after putting him down (he was so sick) and was full of puss. He would have needed so many antibiotics to come right that you wouldn't have wanted to eat the meat anyway.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds