Lamb with swollen front 'knee'

More
10 years 7 months ago #36129 by daerfamily
We have been feeding a lamb for a little over a week now. On saturday evening we fed him he was running around. In the morning he was limping and holding up his front right leg. It is now swollen in the knee area, he is desperately trying to put weight on it and does sometimes but mostly holds it up.

He is feeding well, eating grass and drinking his twice daily milk. We dont think it is an infection as it happened literally overnight, yes we have had a very good look between his toes etc.

He is nearly 6 weeks old and is in with a 2 month old, maybe he got tangled?

Anyway, we are leaving to go away in a couple of hours was just wondering if there was anything we could quickly do for him, until I can get him into the vet on Thursday morning? We dont think it is broken as we can move it around and he doesn't pull away. Can they get badly sprained?!

Please help we have never had this before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472217 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Lamb with swollen front 'knee'
Swollen joints or lambs suddenly appearing lame are usually cases of navel ill requiring very quick treatment with antibiotics. Don't wait until Thursday. Can the vet not see you, or you not see the vet?

More
10 years 7 months ago #472230 by daerfamily
We are not home now until tom night, I am writing from my phone. The neighbour is feeding him for us, I haven't been able to get hold of them, perhaps I call the vet and they can just turn up.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472232 by jeannielea
As Ruth says he needs an antibiotic as its typical of navel ill (a kind of arthritis in the joints) and the sooner the better. Usually you can get some from the vet and do it yourself or the neighbour or anyone you can get hold of! If it has to wait till you get home the lamb won't die or anything drastic but the problem will be more difficult to deal with.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472235 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Lamb with swollen front 'knee'

jeannielea;474978 wrote: ...but the problem will be more difficult to deal with.

The infection has a chance to progress further before you stop it, sometimes getting into the internal organs as well, so takes a longer time to treat/heal, potentially does more damage, etc.

Six weeks is quite old though for Navel Ill - that's my only niggling question about this one.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472237 by daerfamily
Yes that is what I was questioning also Ruth, we thought we were 'past' the navel ill stage, which is why I questioned a sprain or even a tiny fracture. It just seems so strange that one day he was bouncing around, next morning he was limping! He is trying so hard to put weight on it and he stands on it to drink milk ... I have called the vet, she is going to pop over to have a look. I wish I was there to save the call out fee!

More
10 years 7 months ago #472243 by spoook
Is the navel swollen at all? Are all other joints ok?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 7 months ago #472244 by daerfamily
Nope looks perfectly fine to me, and exactly like the other lambs, and no other joints swollen. This one is only slightly swollen but noticeably bigger than his other joint.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472245 by daerfamily
He has been trying to play with the other lambs and appears totally unfazed by this ordeal. Vet coming later on in the day

More
10 years 7 months ago #472252 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Lamb with swollen front 'knee'
If I suspected a sprain, i would dose him with homeopathic arnica, if the swelling went down then you would know its not navel ill.
So what is the time frame for navel ill, age wise for lambs. I dont dare say i havent had it or I would be tempting fate but i assume its something you get within the first week - 10 days, until the navel is dry. Would that be correct?

More
10 years 7 months ago #472254 by cowvet
Navel infection as a name suggests that it is where the bacteria gain entry to the body. By no means is it essential that it be swollen when the disease manifests as arthritis.
Young lamb, orphan, swollen joint, severely lame .... 99 times out of 100 it is goint to be a bacteria arthritis and the longer you of muck around then the more damage that occurs in the joint. Antibiotics PRONTO.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 7 months ago #472255 by daerfamily
It is not navel ill. Vet has been and checked him, she said he is quite happy and healthy looking, no sign of infection or entry of infection. She said he has sprain or tiny fracture but without x-ray wont know for sure. She has in the meantime given him a wee splint on his leg, bless him! She said keep it on for a few weeks, but if it gets hot outside to take it off and check his leg regularly as obviously it is going to sweat!

Fingers crossed for a rapid recovery so he can play with his friends again!

More
10 years 7 months ago #472269 by LongRidge
Broken lamb and kid legs heal really easily. But ..... I don't think that your vet knows much about sheep. I really hope that she did give it antibiotics.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472270 by 4trees
Hi, Daer family, you mentioned they have been racing around and I think you will find he only needs to be racing around on some uneven ground and even just run into a fence when they are going hell for leather. You will possibly find in a days time he will be getting back to normal. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 7 months ago #472274 by daerfamily
Yes shot of ABs given.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds