Electric gates

More
10 years 6 months ago #36122 by feedqueen
Electric gates was created by feedqueen
Hi all, I am so over having to get out to open and shut the driveway gate in all sorts of weathers and at all times of the day and night. Can those of you with electric gates tell me the pros and cons and what to start and what brands/installers not to use/or are great to use in Canterbury?(Darfield ish area)

We have two gates, you have to open both to get through, probably 1.5 m each , only a narrowish entrance way anyway. Gates are not super heavy, just a medium weight steel so not overly ornate or heavy. Could get power to them if necessary or can you get a solar powered system that's reliable?

Thanks in advance-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472110 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Electric gates
i don't know about electric gates, (except that they look expensive) but i have admired the gates that some dairy farmers have over their tanker tracks. they are a bar that has little wheels on it so you just drive through and it rolls around the car. they can be electrified too so the animals don't touch them. i would definitely consider one if i could make it work for sheep too!

More
10 years 6 months ago #472113 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Electric gates
there are knock down gates, just drive straight through em. Dont know if any rated to car.
Else some young farmer came up with a cistern thing that fills a bucket on a pulley which opens gate and closes as it slowly drains.
Very green.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 6 months ago #472114 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Electric gates
Thanks, but I already have the gates, they are perfect so our dogs cant under or through them I just think I want to install the arms that will open and close them other by remote control or via keypad.

I guess I can ring around but thought that someone on here may have first hand experience. :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #472121 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Electric gates
We had electric gates in town and it really was worth it to keep the dogs secure. So convenient every day.

Note: we could not find anyone who made gates that can be manually opened and automatic. Gate openers are aimed at the security market rather than the convenience market, so to open the gates without the remote requires an override key or some tools[;)]. We had another gate for pedestrians, but rural visitors are often in cars, and if you have a long drive, this may be an issue for visitors who can't get your attention to get you to open the gate. You could wire a manual switch near the gate which can be locked for times you want the gates as security.

The choice of operator may depend on whether you have power near the gate location. Ours required mains power which was fine with it right next to the house. There are some aimed at the rural market that have solar panels and batteries.

I'd avoid the cheapest ones.

Ours was a Merlin, and worked well for 15 years we had it, needing only to be tweaked back onto the right frequency once and that was the only maintenance in that time.
Get more remotes than you want, so you can lend them to people staying with you.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472122 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Electric gates
Have a "Mule" (Farmlands) that works well, battery with solar panel backup. Keep one remote in the car & the other at the house. Been in use for coming up 9yrs. Excellent system.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472130 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Electric gates
Our neighbours have a system with a pair of actuators for the two gates. They bought it on TradeMe and installed it themselves. It is powered by a solar panel and batteries. They have a remote control in each car as well as a push-button on each side of the gate in a not-too-obvious place so those of us in the know can get in and out without having to phone them first.
The only problem has been the original batteries, which were burglar alarm batteries. These proved to be too small, running out of grunt in prolonged dull weather. They were replaced by a pair of quad-bike or ride-on batteries, which have far greater capacity.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472152 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic Electric gates
Our electric gate mechanism came from www.easysystems.co.nz and I installed it myself.
It runs on low voltage (18volts) from the house. with the cable clipped under the bottom rail of a post and rail fence. As the length is about 75m direct feed was chosen. Over 100m a solar panel would do the job.
We open the gate when we get up, and close it just on dark from the house with a remote control.
It can operate on auto so it automatically closes after use
We also have remotes so we can actuate the gate from the car when we leave home.
As funds allow we will upgrade to a control/intercom outside the property so we can leave the gate closed, and only open it for visitors when required.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472176 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Electric gates
what ever happened to good people.
On the plus side, y'all fencing yourselves in.
I suppose its part of the definition of lifestyler, as opposed to normal people who dont live in town.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 6 months ago #472178 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Electric gates
Thanks for all your help guys. That was the sort of info I was after.

We want to keep our dogs safe and contained on the property and as a bonus I don't get windblown and wet in the process of getting to work. :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #472187 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Electric gates
We've been looking at this too. Our driveway looks like a continuation of the road ( which its not) so get people snooping down to see where the "road" goes. Also its a long driveway for friends to pop down if we aren't actually home...gate would fix that and have the added benefit of making sure our stock are contained.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
10 years 6 months ago #472223 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Electric gates
If the gate ever needs to be opened in an emergency (for example house on fire) fire service etc will just push gate open. Ideally a cheap easily replaced part would yield rather than damaging expensive parts. Have heard a few stories about gates being forced open and gate openers needing to be replaced at substantial cost.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds