First Lambing Question

More
10 years 7 months ago #471862 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic First Lambing Question
We've got a wobbly lamb that started out like this too - mum kept going around in circles. I made mum stand still so lamb got colostrum, and locked them up in the yards for the first few days so lamb got *something*. This mum too wouldn't let the lamb feed if I was watching..! however her milk dried up very early, none there now that I can see and lamb has been grazing since week 2 and is looking very straggly and thin. But surviving - somehow! Would NOT bottle feed whatever I tried, but will eat sheep nuts, so is allowed two or three a day only. I keep expecting to find her in a heap but so far, so (not very) good...she is a very nice little lamb so I hope she survives but I am not very hopeful.

A lamb born two days after this one had the same thing happen, I saw colostrum but no milk at all after day two, and mum kept butting him away and walked off & left him, so lamb went on the bottle and is now a big happy fellow, in sharp contrast to the one above. Hoggets are very hard-work mums...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #471874 by muri
Replied by muri on topic First Lambing Question
I have had a couple of ewes with low milk production and given them homeopathic alfalfa which seemed to make a difference to their production of milk
What breed of sheep have you got Geba

More
10 years 7 months ago #471879 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic First Lambing Question
When you bottle feed the lamb talk to it so it recognises your voice. After a few days you will see it run to you for the bottle and then you know it will do this in the paddock too. Sometimes I've put a small one in a pen made from electric wire standards (or garden stakes would do) with a roll of chicken wire tied around it in a (rough) circle. The pen is in the paddock so the lamb learns it belongs there and not in the house or yard, and the other sheep accept it as part of the flock, as well as the voice recognition thing of you as source of food. It only takes about 3 days before you can let it out. If a Mum is bunting a lamb it usually means she thinks its weak or has a problem and in my experience she would be unlikely to accept it again. You did well to resue it.

More
10 years 7 months ago #471881 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic First Lambing Question
sorry to highjack your thread Cavegirl!

Our sheep are Romneys, and mostly very good mums - once they get used to the idea! the older girls have been great, it's the hoggets who have not mothered too well. One of their lambs was stillborn, one smothered (mum started licking at the wrong end...), one just plain abandoned, and two not very well fed. Sounds terrible all listed out like that - that's five not-very-good efforts out of our 14 hoggets.

I think Wobbly-Lamb just never suckled properly and that's why mum kept chucking her off, because she wouldn't suck on the bottle either, and I kept at it day after day - both of us got covered in Anlamb, but not much went down her neck. The other lamb whose mum bunted him off suckles really well - maybe too well for her!

More
10 years 7 months ago #472027 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic First Lambing Question
Bev, would it be wise for Cavegirl to ring the lambs tail if its weak and off to a slow start? It might throw it for a wee bit and I imagine you’d want to get it steady and strong first. Just a thought.
Geba we have Romney hoggets who have lambed this year and have all made GREAT mums with plenty of milk and some big lambs, albeit singles. Much better than the other breed hoggets we have (forgetting the name...). One of those girls had a very small ewe lamb 2 days ago. She was quite weak, wobbly on her legs and not the best drinker, but thankfully the weather was good and her mum was doing her bit so we left them to it to see how they’d go. We had to clean the wee things bottom as mum wasn’t doing a great job of it and sawdust from the shed had stuck to it causing a bit of discomfort which may explain her being on the wobbly-side. This morning she was on her feet, obviously having just discovered the joys of jumping about :)
Geba hopefully your Romney hoggets will try and fix their mistakes next year for you :)

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
10 years 7 months ago #472046 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic First Lambing Question
Newbies, ringing and tailing at such a young age and if it is weak is not a wonderful idea, but it usually works well enough. I don't ring young because I'm sure that it hurts the lamb more. But if the lamb gets too big, then the lamb hurts me :-(. But in Auckland, delaying ringing means that the risk of flystrike is hugely increased, especially if Cavegirl does not have an anti-fly like Vetrazin that she can wipe over the lambs bum and scrotum.
With the dirty bums, some years are much worse than others. So I think that it might be something to do with the grass composition. Last year most of our lambs were bunged up at some stage. This year, only a couple have needed help.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds