PIGS PUMPKINS

More
10 years 7 months ago #35910 by jennie1945
PIGS PUMPKINS was created by jennie1945
Hi Guys

We are thinking of getting a couple of weaner pigs when the Pumpkins are grown - any suggestions on keeping them in the small paddock we have designated for them - we currently have 4 wire electric fencing all round - would that be sufficient to keep them confined?? Have heard they are great escapoligists!!![8D][8D][8D]

12 acres - 2 Jersey cross calves - George and Mildred -going on 50 mixed sheep and lambs - teenagers and toddlers - and our Girls all laying well when we can find the eggs!!!!:cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469643 by igor
Replied by igor on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
Should be sufficient. They don't usually jump much. Even two wires will work if the pigs are used to it and know that it bites.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469647 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
We have two weaner pigs and have fenced off a section with warratahs and 2 electric wires - one really low to the ground and one at about 30cm. Will look at adding another wire above these as they grow if it looks needed, but this is keeping them in not a problem. :)

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
10 years 7 months ago #469682 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
My pigs have never eaten the pumpkins raw unless the goats gnaw on the outside and break the skin. A couple of years ago I had a bumper crop of pumpkins which grew feral on my muck heap - with cows, horses, goats and pigs all having access and not eating them.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469686 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
my pig who is going to a new home tomorrow loves pumpkins she gets one every day as long as its in half im sure she crys if I don't have one for her !

More
10 years 7 months ago #469704 by jennie1945
Replied by jennie1945 on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
Hi Guys

Thanks so much for all your help - what would we do without this website!!! Another question regarding 'confinement' - would this type of electric fence keep a Goat in!!!

All these daft questions - we have come from a Bed and Breakfast in town (Kaitaia) to 12 acres in the Country(Tikokino CHB)- all we've ever had is chickens!!!! So - a very large learning curve for us - but enjoying every minute. [:I]

Thanks again

Jennie

12 acres - 2 Jersey cross calves - George and Mildred -going on 50 mixed sheep and lambs - teenagers and toddlers - and our Girls all laying well when we can find the eggs!!!!:cool:

More
10 years 7 months ago #469738 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
:) have fed Giant Pumpkins to my Kunekune's many times :) and they love it ( Thank you Wiltshire for your boys discards after the Pumpkin growing competitions :) ) ... my pigs all go the raw pumpkins every time .. loleasier if you have made an entry hole for them first :) .. lol but they will play football with them till they break if you havent :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #469868 by igor
Replied by igor on topic PIGS PUMPKINS
I remember my mother's father buying a large quantity of pie melons for his pigs once. He fed them out in the open pasture and cut them in half with a striaght bladed slasher.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds