kunekune to travel

More
10 years 7 months ago #35850 by davsri
kunekune to travel was created by davsri
Hi All
After lots of research and talking with people with lots of 'piggy knowledge' we have decided to take our pig Piggy Sue upto palmerston north vet teaching hospital to have her eyes done. The surgery is scheduled for the second week of september. Have any of you taken your pig on a 5 hour journey and do you have any advice regarding do's and dont's? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468982 by Far Call
Replied by Far Call on topic kunekune to travel
Hi. When our first Kune was 6mths old I used to take her from Porirua to Cambridge every weekend, with my dog in the back of a Corolla hatch-back. I lined the car with polythene and made a big nest for her, she also wore a dog harness which I anchored so she wouldn't slip forward when I braked. Now she is too big to get in the car herself, when she travels its in a closed trailer with a nice window to stick her head out. I screwed in non slip matting and she still loves the hay. She does not get sick but I have heard they can get car sick. Drive as steady as you can, stop frequently for drinks, Ela likes to snack at stop times as well. The less they get jossled around the less stressful and I think Ela is ok as she has travelled since she was 3mths old.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468983 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic kunekune to travel
Haven't travelled our pigs for that length of time, however my suggestion would be to get Sue used to walking on and off whatever mode of transport you are going to use. Ours happily walk in and out of the float, they walk in, have dinner, and walk out - that's how we got them used to it, (started with feeding them on the ramp, then each time just moved the food in further and further...) and when we do need to move them, they don't stress as they associate it with food.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469002 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic kunekune to travel
Um not done big distances with the piggies .. but mine love car rides :) lol and like the Greyhounds and Kuma the Akita .. like to be able to have nose out window :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #469005 by davsri
Replied by davsri on topic kunekune to travel
Hi
Far Call and trace. Thank you for your replies and advice. Piggy Sue is okay walking with a harness. I am most worried about car sickness- not the mess but her feeling unwell. Stu-R - we took Lulu to TKP's house so she could visit her dad and mum. Lulu was six months old. By the time we got to TKP's Lulu was positively green and evacuated from both ends. She felt much better on the way back. Trace- will definitely train Piggy Sue to get in and out of the van. Going to construct a ramp tomorrow.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469016 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic kunekune to travel
ive heard you dont feed a lot before the trip... travel sickness

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 7 months ago #469059 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic kunekune to travel
lots of breaks for a drink and reassurance that mum is there. We are taking Chrunchie to Omokaroa tomorrow but that should only be 2 to 2 and half hours. lots of hay in the trailer so he doesn't slide around and also to soak up the pee and we will be stopping every half hour or so to check him and offer water.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 7 months ago #469071 by davsri
Thank you katieb and TKP. Hopefully everything will go well.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469090 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic kunekune to travel
Davsri, pigs are not always good travellers and are one of the few animals that can suffer from motion sickness and vomit in the same way we do. However, that doesn't mean to say they can't, or won't travel well. When we moved from Taupo to Kaitaia we brought 7 breeding sows with us, one of which had a litter of 3 day old piglets, two boars and 5 porkers. That was over 7 hours for them on a stock truck and every last one of them, including piglets, came off as fit as a fiddle. Interestingly, they sulked for over a fortnight after.

If your leaving in the morning, feed her the night before but nothing after. Once you get on the road, don't stop other than for your own toilet stops if your busting, and then you can check on her. The chances are that once she gets used to the motion she will bed down and accept it. If you keep disturbing her, each time you move off again it will be the beginning of a new trip for her. She won't need food or water over this period of time.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
10 years 7 months ago #469136 by davsri
Hi Ronney
Thank you. Piggy Sue will be travelling in the van with us, We have moved the seats to the very back so there is plenty of space for her. A few bales of straw should keep her comfortable. Is there anything I can give her for motion sickness?

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds