My new Wireless Project

More
10 years 8 months ago #469152 by Nunga
Replied by Nunga on topic My new Wireless Project
Hi Short Plank, Yep got the gear 3 months ago and paid for long ago, just got around to installing it all over the last few days. Im not to worried about the cost as i will get this back within 6 months of not having the extra internet and phone bill to pay.

As for it been an over the top, I would rather have to much power than not enough as i can always turn it down.

I dont really have any neighbours as i am transmitting along a gully for most of the way along side of the train tracks and just over a few buildings when it gets into town. The access point setup is set to Bridge mode so i am creating a bridge connection between the two points, They are setup to accept each others mac address only so no one should be able connect to them anyway?? maybe someone can confirm this for me please?. Also the broadcast is turned off

I am always open to ideas and suggestions as the old saying goes, two heads are better than one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469161 by spark
Replied by spark on topic My new Wireless Project
Hi,

It's dead easy for a cracker to "spoof" (ie fake) MAC addresses. Also, turning off broadcast doesn't help much either as every data packet that is sent by your wireless link contains the SSID and can be received by someone who has put their 5.8 GHz wireless unit into "promiscous mode".

You probably want to use something like WPA2-PSK with a good password (a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and punctuation). You do not have to remember this password, just program it into the configuration of the wireless unit at each end of your link.

PS: Don't use WEP - it is deeply flawed and hardly secure.

Cheers

More
10 years 8 months ago #469163 by Nunga
Replied by Nunga on topic My new Wireless Project
Sweet will make the changes now :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #469181 by Short Plank
Replied by Short Plank on topic My new Wireless Project
Spark is correct about MAC address spoofing, and in any case this is only relevant re a machine wanting to join into the conversation. Any machine would be able to passively intercept and read the wireless packets passing between your two. So you need encryption to make them unreadable and WEP, the oldest wireless encryption, was compromised years ago.

As for bridge mode, that depends on the operating system you are using for the wireless. Normally 'bridging' doesn't work between two wireless stations - the mode 'bridge' refers to the station itself acting simply as a transmitter/receiver with one input and one output, rather than as a router connecting multiple inputs/outputs as required. To do their thing routers need different IP addresses for input and output whereas a bridge only needs a single IP for both.

The usual modes for wireless stations are Infrastructure or Ad Hoc. With the former you have one station designated as an Access Point and any others wanting to talk to it are designated as stations. The Access Point transmits beacons advertising its presence and allows any properly configured station to connect to it. Ad Hoc systems are all peers and can all connect to and talk to each other, which can mean a lot of interference and clashes, as on any one frequency only on wireless can be talking at a time. For your situation Infrastructure mode would be better as the Access Point will allocate airtime for transmission to its station/s, which is more efficient.

The problem with having oversized gear is that it makes it much more sensitive to picking up interference. You can dial down the power you transmit with but you can't turn the volume down on what you're receiving. It probably won't matter in your situation, but in a crowded wireless space you're actually better off having the least powerful antenna you can get away with, just to reduce the noise your receiver is having to deal with.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469202 by suckerpunchnz

Short Plank;471588 wrote: Hi. I helped set up, and am chief technical guru for a non-profit community wireless network set up six years ago when it became obvious none of the commercial guys were interested in providing for our locality, leaving us nothing bar satellite or dial-up at 2.5 kbps downhill on a good day. We've around 30-subscribers now, paying about $4/GB/month at up to 10MBps up and down. Your gear, Nunga, is way over the top - our main backhaul to the radio tower of a wireless ISP which feeds us into town fibre is over 17km at 5GHz and it works perfectly well with a 400mW wireless card and a 24dB parabolic antenna. You could probably do 3km these days with a couple of $45 D-Link/Cisco/Belkin etc. wireless routers. If you haven't bought the gear yet we could do the whole thing for less than the cost of one 5GHz 30dB antenna, but if you've got it already post here or pm me if you have any problems. Two thoughts - for a private network where you won't have ISP speed limits anyway you might as well go as fast as you can, which means the 'n' protocol. And as you're going to be broadcasting over all your neighbours to the horizon with the gear described above, you'll need privacy and security.

Hey,

Out of interest, I'd be keen to hear what hardware you guys use in your setups.
Do you mind sharing please?

Thanks!
Phil.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469207 by Short Plank
Replied by Short Plank on topic My new Wireless Project
No worries. We use Mikrotik and RouterOS throughout. Happy to share our experiences.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds