Tree recommendations

More
10 years 7 months ago #35823 by Far Call
Hi to all you wonderful folk.
I am trying to research the best trees that can stand alone in a paddock and provide an 'umbrella' of shade and rain shelter - so for all seasons. It also cannot be poisonous to stock.
Your help is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468620 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tree recommendations
Totara. Nothing eats it, evergreen. The problem with trees in a paddock is that the animals camp under them, and the ground gets extremely unhygienic, especially as the sun cannot sterilise under them, as it does on clear ground. Our animals get all sorts of problems because of the trees we have. I've fenced off lots of the bush, but haven't got rid of all the totaras in the paddocks yet :-(

More
10 years 7 months ago #468638 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Tree recommendations
Oh dear Longridge, all my sheep must be terribly unhygienic.
They spend a lot of time under them - when its raining, when its windy and they seek shelter and when its hot and they seek shade.
Without such shelter their life would be misery and animals living without shelter are probably quite stressed under certain conditions.
I have seen sheep in the hot sun trying to get into the shade of the fence without getting much shading from it etc etc
Far Call, there are many trees you can plant depending on your growing conditions eg degree of shelter etc. Are you wanting evergreen or deciduous, do you get frosts, is the soil dry or wet?

More
10 years 7 months ago #468640 by Far Call
Replied by Far Call on topic Tree recommendations
Thanks for your reply's.
yes I need a type of tree that shades well in summer and protects animals from rain so it needs to be evergreen. We are coastal so get a good deal of ground airing from the wind. The potential sites are sand at half a meter so need a good hardy tree - which will have wind and animal protection until it matures.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468646 by muri
Griselinia will take those conditions, are fast growing and would reach 5m tall x 3m eventually if unpruned
I like the big casurina - non suckering variety - as they are nitrogen fixing but they can get a bit of wind damage
karo is fast growing coastal plant but the stock love to eat it so it wouldnt work as a shade plant as animals would be eating it

More
10 years 7 months ago #468652 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Tree recommendations
There are some good suggestions for trees for shelter here and here .

Trees that can be toxic in part or whole include:
Yew, rhododendron, tutu, poroporo, ngaio, oaks, karaka, oleander, laburnum, some laurels, macrocarpa, Leyland cypress, Pinus radiata, cestrum, lantana, kowhai, melia, wisteria, datura, rangiora, kowhai.
Some of these are more likely to be eaten if they are wilted, such as prunings left lying, or if there is little other feed.

The most commonly eaten poisonous plants may be more palatable to stock:
Rhododendron, cestrum, lantana, oleander, yew.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468659 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Tree recommendations
You could seek advice from the Farm Forestry Association or possibly the Tree Crops Association. Both are likely to have members in your area who are willing to help you out.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468765 by jennym
Replied by jennym on topic Tree recommendations
a couple of stone pines might do it. their adult form is a bit like a mushroom. pinus pinea.
great for shelter for animals.
they are tolerant of coastal conditions/sandy soil, drought etc. they dont grow too tall, about 15m.
you get a reasonable amount of rain where you are with ocasional drought conditions.
an added bonus is that they are the source of those horribly expensive pine nuts which are yummy. you need at least 2 for that, they need each other for pollination. i have seen 3 in a triangle to cover different wind directions. you would plant at about 10m apart.

if you really want to go full tit, you can do truffles on them. quite a few ducks have to line up to do truffles though and you have to buy truffle innoculated ones.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468835 by Ahudot
Replied by Ahudot on topic Tree recommendations
The shade of the magnolia grandiflora is the sheeps' favorite place on summer afternoons, evergreen, dense shade, lovely tree to look at and when I lived by the sea I had one there too, handled the conditions well.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468836 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Tree recommendations
Hi there close neighbour.
Waikawa beach is pretty exposed, the only shelter trees I have seen surviving the sea wind there is macrocarpa.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468870 by muri
The reason probably why you see so much macro growing is that was all farmers planted in the past rather than it being all that will grow
We are west coast windy here and getting shelter belts established is a very slow process and thats why i recommended a couple of natives that would take those kind of conditions.
Flax can make an excellent wind break as the first tier behind which plants can be planted in the lee of
The native vegetation along the west coast where I have just come back from my walk this morning is very lush and dense with the full force of the wind and the sea blasting them - i also noticed lots of Ake ake as well as the nikau, and cortaderia - the large toi toi [not the pampas]

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds