TB Testing

More
10 years 9 months ago #468598 by igor
Replied by igor on topic TB Testing
We in South Otago are required to test all our cattle every year regardless of age.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468599 by Topcat
Replied by Topcat on topic TB Testing
Oh thanks igor, that's good to know I was trying to find out if that was the case

More
10 years 9 months ago #468635 by humvee
Replied by humvee on topic TB Testing

SanCha;470969 wrote: South Eyre end of Harewood Rd Humvee. Been there for 2 years so guess we have got lucky then. LOL. Where are you guys?

downs road

More
10 years 9 months ago #468645 by John M
Replied by John M on topic TB Testing
Ironically, I received a phone call from TBFree last night asking a few questions.

In my area, testing is only required every three years she said, and only if any of my cattle exceed 24 months.

No testing required for me as all my stock are less than a year old, and not likely to have that happen as in most cases, they will be either sold or home killed by 2 years of age, unless our Jersey calf we keep as a house cow to raise a few calves on each year.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
10 years 9 months ago #468648 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic TB Testing
I think that's the most important part for SanCha to take away from this discussion: they do not test animals under 2 years of age. which means SanCha does not qualify.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 9 months ago #468689 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic TB Testing
In our area, we've been told that they only need to test cattle that are 3 years old and over. Our Tb tests are every four years, as we are C10 and never had a reactor in the herd.

I would contact your local Tb tester (it's Assure Quality up here) and ask for more details of the requirements in your area. Animals being raised for homekill, rather than breeding, are often in the freezer before testing is required. Each area is different though, so it's pays to check with the local authorities.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468695 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic TB Testing
BB, I think it depends where you are as to what age group is tested and how frequently-note Igors reply.

Also if there is a sudden outbreak of TB in large dairy herds they may easily start testing everything around them more frequently as well.

People buying dairy cross calves for rearing from the big farms are also at risk from bringing infection on to their block, and with the movement of dairy cows all over the country the situation in one area could easily change so that testing of all age groups more frequently, could easily arise.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468739 by Topcat
Replied by Topcat on topic TB Testing
Yes Sue is right as mine were tested today and they are under two years of age and only for homekill

More
10 years 9 months ago #468745 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic TB Testing
We were once under "movement control" (because someone brought a dead wild pig into the area that had TB, and reported it as having been killed here), which meant that every animal had to be tested every time the cattle were moved the 4km out of the valley. Because we had grazing 2km away but out of the valley, every time we wanted to graze that block we had to get the cattle tested.
Thus I suspect that the amount of testing and the age of the animal depends on the controls in your area.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds