TB Testing

More
10 years 8 months ago #35807 by SanCha
TB Testing was created by SanCha
Just had the phone call we didn't think we were going to get, saying that we are going to be TB tested in the next 2-3 weeks!! Total sum of 3 beasts and no yards. 2 x 18mth old heifers (still quite playful) and one very quiet steer of the same age. Plan was to raise 'em and home kill 'em so never bothered with any yards. Word on the street is that they don't usually TB test in our area (West Eyreton in North Canterbury) but I guess we either lucked out or the info was wrong :(

Either way, I guess we need to man up. We don't have the resources to build something in that time frame and we've been so busy since we got here getting fencing, irrigation and cutting up trees that we don't know our neighbours (apart from waving as they go by) so asking one would be a might cheeky.

Does anyone know if you can hire cattle yards for this purpose. Surely we aren't the LSB owners that come up against this (hopefully LOL).

ANY suggestion is welcomed.

Sandy

--
Sandy
1 K9 - Jazz, 24 Chooks, 12 Wiltshire sheep, 2 MGs heifers & 1 very friendly MG steer and 2 cats - Monty & Meg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468502 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic TB Testing
Give them a ring and explain the situation, but at the end of the day you do need some form of yards in the event of an injury etc etc, even if its just a secure pen/race/stall.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468503 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic TB Testing
Tell them your herd is not a breeding herd and see if that makes any difference. If you're in a surveillance-only area, you may not need to submit to the test. There are some people near me who've had cattle for years, but until they started letting their heifers "accidentally" breed with their uncastrated bull calves, they got away without testing. Once they were producing their own animals, they had to start testing. Mind you, our testing situation has recently changed, with some TB suddenly in the area.

But put some sort of yarding on your list of necessities. A pen big enough for four animals and a race in one corner big enough for one, is all you really need, because it would enable adequate restraint for an animal in need of veterinary treatment. You can get away without a headbail, but you must be able to hold in a race to stop an animal's side-to-side and back-and-forth movements.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468504 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic TB Testing
Give them a ring.
We were scheduled for TB testing on 6th Jan 2012, which was a pain because that is when we would have been on holiday. When they rang to confirm the date and time, they asked if we had any cattle over 2 years old. When I said no, we have two calves and two yearlings their reply was "We''ll ring you back in 3 years". It might be different in your area though.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468505 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic TB Testing
Probably an example to all LSB owners of cattle, to be prepared with yards or a race or some means of restraint for larger than new calves! This being both for cases of emergency when they have to be treated for some ailment or examination by a vet, let alone in cases such as SanChas when TB testing is required. You are probably lucky that you have managed to elude testing because of where you are, some areas will be on annual testing, others on 2 or 3 yearly.
With the recent flare up of TB in pockets around the country, and the movement of several thousand dairy cows from one area to another it is not surprising that TB testing may focus of different areas as well as the routine stuff from time to time.

In case some of you haven't read your obligations re TB testing, AHB registration and also NAIT tagging, read this web site-lots of good information. Lots more to it than just this one page for LSB'rs.
www.tbfree.org.nz/lifestyle-block-owners.aspx
Even if your herd is one animal, you are still obliged for it to be tagged, registered and tested for TB.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468507 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic TB Testing
But if you need to, yes you can hire portable yards and they apparently work well.

hilldweller

More
10 years 8 months ago #468509 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic TB Testing
Phone them & find out what aged animals they test... we only have to test those over 2 years old.
We used to be on annual testing... they changed to every 2 years this year which is good except I also have some deer & they will possibly be on the opposite year which is a pain as the rules changed a few weeks after they were due grrr.... cattle testing is free but we have to pay for a vet for the deer which is annoying.... you get something like $0.50 back per deer lol I had 4 tested!

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #468510 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic TB Testing
if you need yards can you rig up some strong gates to form a pen or race or do you have a barn or shed you could get them into.... think of safety for the tester who has to hold the animals tail & inject the underside of it

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #468513 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic TB Testing
Sefton Garage has portable yards for hire for a pretty reasonable rate. You'll need something capable of towing the trailer and couple of strong friends to help put the yards together and take them apart again when you're done, but they work pretty well. Includes a race and headbail.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468519 by SanCha
Replied by SanCha on topic TB Testing
Thanks for all your useful suggestions, we will try ringing them, they're just for homekill and have no intentions on breeding them so sounds like it might be worth a call I guess. If that doesn't work then we'll try the Sefton Garage option which sounds like a great plan b so thanks for that 3scoremiles10!

Sue, an example you say! I hear what you are saying and we were totally aware of our obligations and we do have posts in for yards and race that have been done high enough for cattle but we only put railings on suitable for sheep as we were told we'd be unlucky to have to do the TB thing due to our area and the fact that we were going to homekill then. I guess we took a punt and lost! The reason we didn't finish them suitable for cattle is we have decided to finish this lot off and then stick with sheep.

We have just tried to rig a gate up and put some heavier railings on one side so we can pull the gate in and secure them in there (side-to-side and back-and-forth movements) like you said Ruth and it worked quite well for the steer and one of the heifers but we have one flighty one and she just went straight up the race and over the gate at the end like a cow jumping over the moon. So plan C would be to get her slaughtered pre-testing as the other 2 will be OK. We did think about parking the tractor on the end and moving it when they're finished with but probably not the quietest way to do it hehe.

Sandy

--
Sandy
1 K9 - Jazz, 24 Chooks, 12 Wiltshire sheep, 2 MGs heifers & 1 very friendly MG steer and 2 cats - Monty & Meg

More
10 years 7 months ago #468535 by Toggie
Replied by Toggie on topic TB Testing
It might be a good way to get to know your neighbours and perhaps easier than hiring and setting up yards ??? We're on a dairy farm and two lots of neighbours use our vet race and loading ramp. They know to call the day before and schedule pickups or vet calls outside milking.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468552 by humvee
Replied by humvee on topic TB Testing

SanCha;470906 wrote: Just had the phone call we didn't think we were going to get, saying that we are going to be TB tested in the next 2-3 weeks!! Total sum of 3 beasts and no yards. 2 x 18mth old heifers (still quite playful) and one very quiet steer of the same age. Plan was to raise 'em and home kill 'em so never bothered with any yards. Word on the street is that they don't usually TB test in our area (West Eyreton in North Canterbury) but I guess we either lucked out or the info was wrong :(

Either way, I guess we need to man up. We don't have the resources to build something in that time frame and we've been so busy since we got here getting fencing, irrigation and cutting up trees that we don't know our neighbours (apart from waving as they go by) so asking one would be a might cheeky.

Does anyone know if you can hire cattle yards for this purpose. Surely we aren't the LSB owners that come up against this (hopefully LOL).

ANY suggestion is welcomed.

Sandy

Where in west eyreton are you. We are in west eyreton/eyrewell and have been tb tested twice in 2 and 1/2 years. I had initially thought we would be tested every 2nd year but apparently it's yearly here

More
10 years 7 months ago #468556 by SanCha
Replied by SanCha on topic TB Testing
South Eyre end of Harewood Rd Humvee. Been there for 2 years so guess we have got lucky then. LOL. Where are you guys?

--
Sandy

More
10 years 7 months ago #468579 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic TB Testing
Slightly off topic, but it will be extremely unusual for your neighbours to be tested on the same visit as your test. This is so AHB can spread the testing in your area so they can better find an outbreak here,there, or elsewhere. But if your neighbours test has a positive Tb case in 3,6,9 months time, then your herd will be checked soon after.
So your neighbour will not be getting his herd tested on the same days (NB 2 days), so you might be able to use his yards. It is very easy to cut a fence and then put in permanent wire strainers, or undo your boundary fence at the wire strainers.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468595 by Topcat
Replied by Topcat on topic TB Testing
We are getting ours done in the morning, we only have 6 cows all for home kill and all under two, I did register, but they haven't rung us however my neighbour (who uses our yards) is getting his done so he nominated us as well? Do you not usually get them tested if they are under two years of age?

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds