Pet pig arriving next week - any advice?

More
10 years 9 months ago #35791 by HeidiLee
Hi all,

As of next week I'll be the guardian of a 1 year old castrated male kunekune. This will be my first pig, he will purely be a pet/ companion and won't be eaten.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom that they can give me? Particulary in regards to fencing, as my main concern is him escaping. In his designated area on one side I currently have a conventional multi-wire fence with battens, will this suffice or should I reinforce it? On the other side I will be putting up new fencing, I can construct post & rail, sheep netting, corrugated iron (but to what height?) or a combination.

For housing we're planning to use a double width pallet with closed slats (so his little legs don't get stuck!) with a roof, back and sides but should I leave the mouth of it open or close it off and have an opening like a dog kennel? We were planning of using wood shavings on the floor of the house.

Sorry for the very basic questions [:I]

Heidi

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468307 by igor
Is he full size or a miniature? That might make some difference. Big pigs don't usually jump much but all will dig under the fence if they are permitted to. I have found that electric fencing is best for containing pigs in a small area. Don't use livestrand or hot-tape. If the power goes off the animals are likely to eat it. You might get away with the conventional wire and batten fence if it is very tight and the wires are close together, especially the lower half. If the bottom four wires are barbed so much the better. If the existing fence only has seven wires you may wish to consider putting two or three additional barbed wires on between the existing wires and another one at near ground level to discourage the pig from pushing under. If you choose netting go for pig netting if you can get it. The holes are smaller than sheep netting. I'd still batten it. Pigs will test your fencing more than any other of the usual farm animals.
You pig house idea sounds just fine. One of mine has a partial fourth wall but the others have three walls only and the pigs don't seem to care.
Wood shavings will be fine for bedding. I use bark and wood chips from the log peeler at the local sawmill in my pens. He will either eat them, play with them, or push them outside and root them into the dirt. Any of those is okay. Some pigs like bedding material and some prefer to sleep on a bare floor.
Wish you all the best of good luck with your porcine companion.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468311 by HeidiLee
Thanks for your advice Igor! He is a miniature, so going under things will likely be the issue, I will reinforce the wire fence as you suggested.

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

More
10 years 9 months ago #468318 by ashs26
I agree, either electric fencing (which I use with great success for my two castrated 8month old boars) or very close together and close to the ground railing or even wood if possible!
It has to be very strong as if it isnt, they will lift it and squeeze under, and very close to ground.
They are famous for their houdini ways - so any chance they will find it!
But they are so awesome :) enjoy your new mate!

More
10 years 9 months ago #468319 by ashs26
I agree, either electric fencing (which I use with great success for my two castrated 8month old boars) or very close together and close to the ground railing or even wood if possible!
It has to be very strong as if it isnt, they will lift it and squeeze under, and very close to ground.
They are famous for their houdini ways - so any chance they will find it!
But they are so awesome :) enjoy your new mate!

More
10 years 9 months ago #468381 by HeidiLee
Thanks for the tips, very helpful.

Heidi

More
10 years 9 months ago #468437 by cowvet
my advice...
vaccinate for lepto - talk to your vet if he has not been done yet, should be boostered every six months
feed legally - food scrapes must be cooked
keep it away from other livestock such as sheep and cattle...especially if they are lambing/calving etc
have fun

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 9 months ago #468559 by thevarneys
Cowvet - is it recommended to vaccinate for lepto pigs which are destined for freezer at 7 months? I had wondered about that with ours, but thought they are unlikely to be in contact with any of our other animals.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
10 years 9 months ago #468613 by cowvet

thevarneys;470972 wrote: Cowvet - is it recommended to vaccinate for lepto pigs which are destined for freezer at 7 months? I had wondered about that with ours, but thought they are unlikely to be in contact with any of our other animals.

yes they should be done. When you think about their access to other animals - can you put your hand on your heart and say they will never see a rodent/hedgehog etc. in all reality they do have access to other lepto carrying animals. then the risk to humans would include anyone coming in contact with their urine (you and your family) and the butcher.

you have to remember the risk to you and your family is from the pig itself and not just the animals it may spread it to. Does that answer your question?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 9 months ago #468622 by LongRidge
..... and pigs love freshly killed meat, of any sort, so will kill anything that they can. Miss Piggy crippled a lamb and started eating it, even before the lamb was dead :-(

More
10 years 9 months ago #468631 by The Kats Place
I just run a hot wire about a foot off the ground right around the piggy enclosure abd also across the gateway about a meter back on the piggys side. that stops them pushing past you at the gate if the are inclined to leave the paddock also stops the gateway getting muddy if they hang around there inwet weather waiting for your arrival.
I would put a partial front on the house so he can get out of the wind no matter which way it comes from. In damp weather I rake the shavings about a bit to air/dry them out. If piggies get damp/cold the get a chest infection and the go down hill really fast. Pleanty of fresh water and a wollow if possible in the summer, or he might try to wollow in his water bowl/trough.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #469535 by HeidiLee
Well, he's arrived and he is a darling. We've named him Sheamus and so far the fences a holding up fine. We did end up putting a single rail along the bottom of the wire fence although the wire fence was fine but just to be safe we added the rail. I let him out for a wander when I'm home and have devised a cunning plan, I made a tin shaker (lidded metal tin with some pebbles inside) and just before I fed him for the first day I shook the tin. Now I can let him out, he goes wherever he likes in the paddock, usually to eat the long, sour grass that the horses won't touch and then with a shake of the tin he comes bowling home at quite a speed! The most fascinating thing I've discovered about him is the 'monkey' noises he makes, it isn't what I'd call pig noises, oinking and grunting but eee-eee ooooh-ohhh noises, odd. He's very entertaining. He hates spring onions, adores carrots, loves his house, makes his bed every night and snores! Love him to bits.

Heidi

More
10 years 8 months ago #469544 by Stu_R
:) :) great news :) :) .. so pleased he is settle in so well ... :) :) i like piggies , they are cool and very intelligent animals

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #469569 by The Kats Place
onions, leeks, parsnips, green potatoes and something else that I can't remember are not the best for piggies, OK cooked. I find the boys 'talk' more that the girls, my grand daughter says they are saying apples, apples apples!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #469594 by ashs26
Gorgeous!! I love my piggies, so glas Sheamus has fit in :)

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds