Orphan Lambs

More
13 years 10 months ago #338366 by marybelle
Replied by marybelle on topic Orphan lambs
Spook

You cracked me up :D [:o)] Didn't quite get what you meant till I enlarged your picture, then I couldn't stop laughing!!

Its a cool idea but don't think hubby would approve :eek:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #338368 by marybelle
Replied by marybelle on topic Orphan lambs
Hi 4trees

Thanks for the reply.
How long would they need the extra wool covers or shelter for?
Would it be until a time of year or certain age/weight?
Would it be best to put them in a small enclosure or let them free roam over the paddock?

More
13 years 10 months ago #338376 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Orphan lambs
You can do it with kids too :D
I would like to point out, the pink suit was to keep the nappy in her tiny hips, a friend's contribution.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/326230=5532-P1040358 (Medium).jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/326230=5533-P1040467 (Small).jpg[/img]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 10 months ago #338382 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Orphan lambs
Yes Spoook, but not viable in commercial numbers. ;) I mean, where would you sit down to watch TV at night? With lambs all over the sitting room furniture, there'd be nowhere for L to sit. ;) :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 10 months ago #338449 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Orphan lambs
Don't be silly Inger [;)], the lambs and kids don't watch TV. Mind you Suki does, avidly [:0]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 10 months ago #338453 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Orphan lambs
Gotta love the nappies! What size? We've got plenty of the Walker ones here!

Some places like PGG Wrightsons and CRT have free calf and lamb raising booklets with lots of tips, and advice on what to feed when, and how much. Not bad for free.

Good luck with your lamb raising - don't get too attached to them if you don't intend keeping them as pets. Oh and don't let them near your garden - particularly rhododendrons. Perhaps when bringing them outside, put them in a trailer frame or similar setup with gates.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 10 months ago #338455 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Orphan lambs
My answer to this question would be very similar to the one I gave Hamdon on " New Arrivals" . There is no way that the raised lamb will pay off the milk powder, let alone the time spent doing it. Homekilling pet lambs for the freezer is an awful job for the OH doing the job, and the cook. Bottlefed ewes don't tend to live anywhere near as long as ewe-raised ewes, at least on our place.
We bottle raised 12 last year - their mothers died of something. I killed 3 by not realising that they had already had their food, so they had twice as much as they should have, and died 2 hours later of severe stomach ache (Pulpy Kidney).
Are you able to be home every day, 4 times a day for 4 weeks, twice daily for 4 weeks and once daily for the last 4 weeks, to feed them? Remember that you will have to do it. The childrens enthusiasm will last for 2 days, and by 6 weeks the lambs will be bashing the bottle too hard for feeding to be fun for a child.

More
13 years 10 months ago #338458 by Sandy77
Replied by Sandy77 on topic Orphan lambs

spoook;326230 wrote: You can do it with kids too :D
I would like to point out, the pink suit was to keep the nappy in her tiny hips, a friend's contribution.

:) Spoook ,
I love it but I showed my husband and he said absolutely not !
God hes a party pooer :D We will soon have baby kids and he wouldnt even consider it :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra
Mastiff breeds rescue and rehome charitable trust
Rescue coordinator and founder
mastiffbreedsrescueandrehome.webs.com/

More
13 years 10 months ago #338470 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Orphan lambs
Hi, we just put the wool covers on the lambs for a day or two especially if the weather is grotty, wet and cold wind is the worst for them. If we get a ncie fine day we take the covers off, usually they are about a week old, sometimes less if the weather is good. If any lamb is sick with tummy upsets or off colour we pop the woolly covers back on them to keep the warmth up, lambs seem to loose body temp. very quickly when they are not well. If there is shelter in their paddock or area let them go into a biggish area, as they tend to piddle and pooh in their houses for a few days, and the more you can spread them out the less disease you will get.
If we end up with a lot of lambs after a storm etc. we will pop them in a shed at night, eg.the hayshed, or under a tarpaulin covered pen, then they go outside during the day. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

• colloidal silver
13 years 10 months ago #24111 by colloidal silver
Replied by colloidal silver on topic orphan lambs
What do you feed lambs from 10 days old besides milk powder and do you keep giving them same amount of milk

More
13 years 10 months ago #341633 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic orphan lambs
Lambs nibble grass from 3 days old, and the sooner that you can get them onto lamb pellets the better. Remember to feed the pellets at a different time than the milk.
The milk quantity changes a couple of times. Will post later.

More
12 years 10 months ago #28249 by Topcat
Replied by Topcat on topic Orphan lambs
Hi guys, we can take any orphan lambs if anyone gets suck in Dunedin area. Pleanty of space and man made shelters. Experanced loving little boy would love to help out. Please keep us in mind.

More
12 years 10 months ago #386634 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Orphan lambs
Hi there
I can't raise orphans myself so if I get any without a ewe to take care of them they will be looking for good homes. Some years there are none but I rehomed two last year. Won't be until September though.

Post back on here or send me a PM with your phone number if you'd like me to contact you if there are any.

hilldweller

More
10 years 10 months ago #35651 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic Orphan Lambs
Hi everyone

I have recently moved to Tuakau and starting all over again with my life stock.
I was getting Orphan Lambs but as I don't know anyone up here as of yet and my contacts are in Tauranga (which is a little far for orphans to travel) I'm just putting the word out there to any farmers that I would like to take your orphans. I would like to give them a chance of survival as the little lambs are so cute!! Theres always the chance that they won't survive but i'm willing to take the chance as I hate the thought of them being knocked on the head. If anyone can help me or point me in the direction to who to talk too that would be great!! Thanks

Kels

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds