Orphan Lambs

More
17 years 10 months ago #108750 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Orphan Lambs
Dura look in the T&E today, or online surely there must be a lamb around. I am asking who I know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #108758 by electrickitty
Replied by electrickitty on topic Orphan Lambs
Dura honey buns... i don't know if it's a case of ethics due to the fact that if you gave one of them a home it would be a pet and if it stayed here it would be for the sales or freezer, and at least it would be healthy.
Smilie...to be honest i really can't tell if she is pregnant or not she is due 22 Aug so i am assuming her udders will "bag up" in the next week or two. How is your girl doing? Did she look pregnant a month out from birth? My girl is not that big in size and i do constantly feel for tummy movement... i will just have to see what the stork brings, if anything! We still have Mr goatie legs here to mate with my other one!:) We are a right pack round here with the pregnant sheep, hopefully pregnant goat, and myself waddling around 7 months pregnant!

More
17 years 10 months ago #108761 by Dream Weaver
lol electrickitty, its all gonna be go at your house.
My Nubian is looking quite big now and is bigger especially on her left side, she is walking like ya do at 9 months and does look abit fed up with it all. she was looking preggy about a month or more ago but I think because the Nubians are kind of a different shape, that maybe they don't look as large as other breeds when pregnant. She has bagged up and so we just wait and see. Everytime she yells as only Nubis can lol I ran out to see if anythings happend but not as yet. They are all out lying down in the sun chewing their cud at the moment. Hope your girl is preggy. If she hasn't gone on heat with the buck there then thats a good sign.

More
17 years 10 months ago #108774 by Dura
Replied by Dura on topic Orphan Lambs
Yeah - keep checking TM daily and they are all too far away or want too much money.

Leigh-Anne Bowman

More
17 years 10 months ago #108781 by Dream Weaver
I mean Trade & Exchange, you can also check it out on the net or buy the paper lol

More
17 years 10 months ago #108788 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Orphan Lambs
I'm still waiting for a nubian doe kid. There are three does left to kid. I'm hoping at least one of the kids born will be a doe.
I keep checking my e-mail to see if there's any news.... I'll be going down to the breeders place on Saturday for a meeting and keep hoping and hoping there will be a gorgeous little lady waiting to come home with me. Oooh Pleeeaaaase!!!! let there be a doe born in the next day or two.... I feel like I've been waiting months and months. I couldn't sleep last night, too excited, kept seeing a tiny tot with long ears waiting for cuddles every time I closed my eyes. I got four hours sleep before having to get up again.
Well, actually it was a mix of excitement waiting for news of a doe kid and anticipation waiting for acceptance of Kims immigration application. We should hear about that in the next month.

Oh gawd! Bria has just left a rather hot burning smell in the office and even with my cold I am turning green... you could dig chunks out of the air with a spoon! She's on charcoal pills but I forgot to give her them yesterday and now we are all suffering. She's a bit of a drop and run artist. Tart!

I'm off to get a cup of tea in a room with clearer air.

Yakut

More
17 years 10 months ago #109214 by scooter
Replied by scooter on topic Orphan Lambs
Just to add to this topic and bring it back near the top.....we are still getting calls from people with lambs to offer...so anyone:D??????

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
17 years 10 months ago #109252 by Dura
Replied by Dura on topic Orphan Lambs
Damn it!!!! Damn it!! Why can't they be closer to me[V]. Why don't they put them on TM - they can fetch good prices on there.

Leigh-Anne Bowman

More
17 years 10 months ago #109273 by scooter
Not that sort of people..they just want them to go to good homes.

More
17 years 10 months ago #109285 by choccie
Replied by choccie on topic Orphan Lambs
hi scooter, what's your email address so we can get in touch

Ashley Gorge 38 acres, 3 alpacas, 6 kunes, 4 Turkeys, 13 arapawa sheep,2 pet lambs, 8 other coloured sheep !!1 merino 3 gotland ewes, 2 sets of gotland twins,6 orphan lambs,1 gotland wether,4 orphan goats,loads of chooks and ducks,7 geese + 2 goslings, dog, 2 cats , 3 children. (loads of cows arriving monday to lease some grass!!!)

More
17 years 10 months ago #109407 by scooter
Sorry about that. I'll get it up and accessible, then you can email us.

More
17 years 10 months ago #109608 by scooter

quote:Originally posted by choccie

hi scooter, what's your email address so we can get in touch

Thanks for your email...have emailed you back...thanks and all the best.:D

More
13 years 10 months ago #23810 by marybelle
Replied by marybelle on topic Orphan lambs
Hi folks.

We are thinking of taking on some orphan lambs and need to ask a few things. We have never cared for lambs before and are complete novices. We live in the Far North so the weather is pretty mild but our paddock is on an exposed hill and it does get rather windy so it can be miserable when it rains.

As they are potentially going to be very young will they need to be kept inside to start with?

If so how long before they can be outside alone in the paddock?

We have a seven wire farm fence so hope this will be sufficient to keep them in...yes..no?

I have been told that this can be a bit expensive but we are good with that.

I don't really know what to ask because I don't know what I would need to know so any advice, hints and tips you can give would be gratefully received.
Its something we really want to do and hope that we can learn enough to let us do it, so go on folks...spread your wisdom here :D

Cheers
Marybelle

More
13 years 10 months ago #338364 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Orphan lambs
Hi, a few things as a suggestion, firstly cleanliness, is one of the most important things, that is in cleaning the bottles and the teats, and making sure the milk is warm especially in the first few weeks. I would suggest if you have an exposed paddock, make a wee shed or put the wool covers on the lambs, they keep them warm and dry which is so important. They can be removed on a warm day once the lamb is a couple of days old, and left on if the weather is adverse. These can be purchased from Farmlands type shops. We have sometimes used a crate that we use on our trailer, put this in the paddock with a taurpaulin over the top and down the sides,and this can be moved daily to a fresh dry spot, with some fresh hay in the bottom.
Keep the places where they sleep clean, and dry,hay or sawdust/shavings are fine, but let the area dry out so the bugs don't build up.
Feed the lambs little an often when they are young, not so much the quantities on the bag of powder, little is often better than a lot seldom.
If any get the tummy ache (squirty backend) isolate them, and put them onto glucose and water for about 12-24 hours, small amounts and this will usually get rid of the tummy bugs.
Handle the animal like babies, they are pretty tough but still need some care. That is a few things I can think of after about 30+ years of caring for orphan lambs, remember warmth is one of the most important.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #338365 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Orphan lambs
I, personally, would suggest a jumbo pack of nappies and keep them with you.
Works for me [}:)]

Attached files
File Attachment:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds