Synthetic Horse Rugs - Waterproofing

More
10 years 9 months ago #35541 by Toast
What waterproofers are you using on synthetic rugs please?

I need to bring a synthetic rug out of retirement and know it leaks (it went to one of those places which does the wash/waterproof thing all in one go & it leaked worse than when it went there!).

I usually only use canvas but have resorted to one new synthetic one out of need this year plus the above.

What brands do you use & what's your success rate?

What's the latest in successful canvas rug waterproofing?

Warn me of any that don't work either for canvas or synthetic please.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #465542 by max2
I bought the spray can from mitre 10 which is expensive but works. however you only get enough good coverage for 1 and a bit rugs...

there was a product on TM that I thought about buying, would be interested to hear if anyone has and what they thought of it.

More
10 years 9 months ago #465545 by Toast
Swaggie, the one from Mitre 10 - what were they selling it to be used on? Can you remember a brand name?

Thanks.

More
10 years 9 months ago #465555 by max2

Toast;467668 wrote: Swaggie, the one from Mitre 10 - what were they selling it to be used on? Can you remember a brand name?

Thanks.

Wasn't much choice Toast, we just remember it as being a waterproofing spray for anything (there was a canvas one, but we choose the overall one). Sorry for lack of detail, just lack of choice at the time.

More
10 years 8 months ago #465692 by Stikkibeek
We have only ever used rainex and metalex mixed together. (50/50) Makes up approximately a litre and brush it on paying attention to the seam along the back. Metalex does stink, so do it in a ventilated place. Allow to dry for a few days before using. This also works well on proofing tents and stops the fabric from rotting. I do not know if you can get colourless metalex these days, but we used green.
If the combined product is a bit thick, stand the tin you mix it in, in warm water.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 8 months ago #465724 by Anne
I am interested in everyone's replies, because I haven't yet found a synthetic cover re-proofer that really works - ie works for more than two rain falls. I've used a couple of them, including the stuff specially developed that you have to put on when the cover is wet, or wash into them. Its okay, but not the greatest. Once a synthetic loses its factory waterproofing, it seems to stay that way.

More
10 years 8 months ago #465782 by Toast
Yes, Anne, I've heard that re the synthetics (once they leak, that's it) & I know from experience that the one that they advertise where they wash it & proof it in the same exercise doesn't work. Well, it didn't for me.

I'm now not going to both trying to proof this old one. It can just be an emergency rug while I'm mending others.

Recently I bought a brand new synthetic suitable for the coldest part of winter. Bought it because my canvas 5'3" with lining, long drop & heavy lined neck rug had got just too heavy for me & I had hurt my arm. I was grateful for it's lightness until my arm was better & it was a godsend when the horse did a serious injury, had to be confined to a yard & there was a dreadful storm raging. I was able to put a couple of extra layers underneath easily.

However, since he's now mobile & out in the paddock & the weather is warmer than normal for this time of the year, I am hating that rug. It's way too hot, absolutely stinks on the inside & is rubbing him. I have ordered a 4-seasons rug from Matamata Saddlery. This is the one with the changeable liners. Really looking forward to this.

My friend who manufactures horse rugs has just messaged me & says Tent Magic, sold by an Auckland fellow on TradeMe is best for canvas.

More
10 years 8 months ago #465796 by Anne
I use cheap cotton (or as much cotton as possible) summer sheets underneath all my synthetics - it really helps to stop the horses sweating up and stops the rugs getting smelly.

More
10 years 8 months ago #465927 by RaeM
Buy 1 litre of Linseed oil. 1 litre of Kerosene, and 1 small/med pot of metelex. Mix the litre of linseed oil, with 1/2 litre of kerosene, and approx 1/3rd of the metelex, then paint onto the cover, I used to only do the top and sides down to the bottom of the darts. Leave for 24 hours and paint again. this will fix most covers, and works really well, they may be a bit stiff, but the horses stay lovely and dry even with the many patches on the covers that our horses use to wear. I always used to mix in a 2 litre container, so that I can shake before use. This was given to me many years ago by one of the top horse ladies from just north of Auckland.WE have had up to 50 horses on our place including 3 stallions, in the past, so it was a good deal for me, as cost of getting other folks to wash and waterproof covers would not be justified.

RaeM

More
10 years 8 months ago #465957 by muri
The real problem with fully waterproofing a synthetic rug is that it makes it even less breathable than it already is.
While they do have the advantage of being light they can cause skin issues for some horses because they dont breathe and also they are far too hot for our north island climate at least.
Seeing horses walking around in them on a hot sunny winters day in a climate such as here then its no wonder they get very sweaty and smelly
They are not really designed for day time use in our climate, they are far too hot as well as not having the breathing ability of canvas

More
10 years 8 months ago #465961 by Anne

muri;468112 wrote: The real problem with fully waterproofing a synthetic rug is that it makes it even less breathable than it already is.
While they do have the advantage of being light they can cause skin issues for some horses because they dont breathe and also they are far too hot for our north island climate at least.
Seeing horses walking around in them on a hot sunny winters day in a climate such as here then its no wonder they get very sweaty and smelly
They are not really designed for day time use in our climate, they are far too hot as well as not having the breathing ability of canvas

And it used to be possible to get really high denier (2000) rugs (so they can be on horses in a shared paddock) with light fill (100gms) so they are suitable for North Island horses. But now all the higher denier covers - ones that are tougher and retain water proofness longer - are 300 gm fill - and that's just too warm for most horses. I find that even my clipped horses get hot in a 300 gm fill rug.

More
10 years 8 months ago #466057 by Toast
I've since given up on trying to waterproof it. I've since bought a new canvas rug with changeable lining. The synthetic I bought is only suitable for when it's really stormy or cold so will save it for those times & it may never need re-proofing. The spare one is the one that a shop washed/proofed & it never made it through one rainy day. It can stay at the back of the shelf & could always be used overnight when it's fine & I need to mend another rug. However, am entering a programme of having more rugs on hand so I just may sell it 2nd hand (stating waterproofness not guaranteed) & put the $ towards another rug (or my hunting fund).

RaeM - thanks again for your recipe. I use that on the canvas rugs & it really works well. I shall continue to use it.

Thanks everybody.

More
10 years 8 months ago #466081 by RaeM
Great news!! Rae

RaeM

More
8 years 6 days ago #520916 by ishtar
This products seems to be very popular at the moment with lots of my horsey friends. I haven't tried it yet, but others are telling me to try it. It works on synthetic covers too.
www.beekind.co.nz/products/Bee-Kind-Heav...erproofing-Bar-.html

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds