Gas water heating advice

More
10 years 9 months ago #35392 by celt
We have moved to central christchurch and need to replace our hot water cylinder. We are looking at a gas heat on demand system like Rinnai or Rheem. coming from UK I have some bad memories of how bad they used to be. So my question is who out their has them, are you happy, advantages vs disadvantages vs. a tradition electrically heating hot water cylinder.

We want mains pressure showers, their are 4 of us. 2 14 year old kids so I am assuming hot water consumption is going to go up?

If we go hot water cylinder route we not going to put it back in roof space but put it in garage.

Welcome any feedback. A wetback system (used to have when living in in rural Rodney) is unfortunately not an option in the city.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #464050 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Gas water heating advice
I use a Rinnai on demand system for my commercial kitchen, have had it for 6 years now, only once did it fail. love it.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 9 months ago #464062 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Gas water heating advice
I am also on caliphont gas hot water and no problems.
You have to pay a monthly rental on the gas cylinders so check out those prices too from suppliers
Just make sure you dont run out in the coldest week of the year as delivery of new bottles could take longer
Not sure they will work in a power cut as they are ignited by electricity - but then our water pump is not working so we cant get hot water thru the system anyway

More
10 years 9 months ago #464084 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Gas water heating advice
The Bosch ones are quite good. They ignite with the water pressure. No electricity required.

More
10 years 9 months ago #464091 by ZummersetGirl
We had a Rinnai installed in our first NZ house - the original water heater for the shower only heated overnight and was just enough for one shower. Guess who had to shower in tepid to cold water every day :(
It was/is a godsend with teenagers because the hot water never runs out but we can turn the temp to zero if they have been in the shower too long and they definitely stop showering at that point [}:)] :D
If we had a wetback we would still use a gas water heater for the time of year when the fire wasn't lit.

More
10 years 9 months ago #464099 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Gas water heating advice
You'd have to weigh up the cost of gas versus the cost of electricity. I think you'd find that as the power companies own most of the gas supply these days, you will be paying about the same. If you have to replace the cylinder, is solar boosted hot water an option for the summer to help keep costs down. As I don't live where it snows, I don't know if solar is an option or not, but throw it in for you to think about.
I can see why you'd want the cylinder in the garage. I should think it would be dangerous to have that sort of weight above you in a decent shake.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 9 months ago #464146 by Alan Gilbert
Yes, but...
Heat-on-demand water heaters, whether gas or electric, have a limited flow-rate (they have to, in order to heat the water quickly), so you can't have more than one or maybe two hot outlets on at once. Expect screams if you fire up the washing machine while your wife's under the shower.
It's important to remember that they heat THROUGH a temperature range (which depends on the flow rate — faster = cooler, slower = hotter), not TO a set temperature. As the cold water's temperature will be lower in winter than in summer, so will the hot water's.
Forgive my Northern ignorance, but does Christchurch have mains gas, or will you need gas bottles? If the latter, remember the immutable law of gas appliances — the gas only ever runs out while you're using it!
If none of the above is a problem for you, go for it.
Alpac, can you explain how the Bosch uses water pressure to ignite the gas without using electricity? Is there some sort of piezo-electric igniter which is activated by the drop in water pressure when the tap is turned on, or what? I can't think how that would work. All the systems I've endured have had either mains electricity or a battery to fire an igniter — or that horrible invention, a pilot light.

More
10 years 9 months ago #464154 by ZummersetGirl
We have a cold water fill front loader so no problems when the washing machine turns on :D There are different flow rated Rinnai heaters available depending on the number of outlets you want running at once. We have a Rinnai 24 with a controller in the house so we can increase the water temp in winter and decrease it in the summer or, as I have mentioned before, turn the heat off if I feel the teenagers have been in the shower too long.... [}:)][}:)]
We try not to have the hot water running at full blast mainly because we have a limited water supply rather than we are afraid of reducing the water temp.
The likely hood of running out of gas is low as we have 2x45kg cylinders with an indicator which shows when one cylinder is empty - the only time you may run low is if you are snowed in but reducing the hot water usage in that scenario should see you through.
Our supplier is OnGas which is cheaper than RockGas and the cylinder last about 6 weeks in winter and 8-10 weeks in summer - depending on how often the teenagers decide to wash in the holidays.
Hope that helps.

More
10 years 9 months ago #464158 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Gas water heating advice

Alan Gilbert;466116 wrote: Yes, but...
Heat-on-demand water heaters, whether gas or electric, have a limited flow-rate (they have to, in order to heat the water quickly), so you can't have more than one or maybe two hot outlets on at once. Expect screams if you fire up the washing machine while your wife's under the shower.
It's important to remember that they heat THROUGH a temperature range (which depends on the flow rate — faster = cooler, slower = hotter), not TO a set temperature. As the cold water's temperature will be lower in winter than in summer, so will the hot water's.
Forgive my Northern ignorance, but does Christchurch have mains gas, or will you need gas bottles? If the latter, remember the immutable law of gas appliances — the gas only ever runs out while you're using it!
If none of the above is a problem for you, go for it.
Alpac, can you explain how the Bosch uses water pressure to ignite the gas without using electricity? Is there some sort of piezo-electric igniter which is activated by the drop in water pressure when the tap is turned on, or what? I can't think how that would work. All the systems I've endured have had either mains electricity or a battery to fire an igniter — or that horrible invention, a pilot light.

Don't know exactly how it works.
We had one in the past and will install one again in our current house.
Have a look here: www.bosch-climate.co.nz/products-bosch-h...power/bosch-16h.html

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds