Calf sellers obligations?

More
10 years 9 months ago #464915 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Calf sellers obligations?
I have taken all your points on board this past few weeks and as this is an open forum & I have no idea who reads these posts, some things are best kept unsaid [;)]

~Flossie~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #464916 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Calf sellers obligations?
is she still getting all of the extra feed to help prevent her going down again?

It will take a few weeks for her to be out of the woods

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #464919 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Calf sellers obligations?

katieb;466972 wrote: is she still getting all of the extra feed to help prevent her going down again?

It will take a few weeks for her to be out of the woods

Yes, husband is out there now with head torch taking her a bucket of moozle and Baleage. I did the same last night as we have every other night. She comes over for the bucket of food.

~Flossie~

More
10 years 8 months ago #464921 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Calf sellers obligations?
thats good :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #464922 by daerfamily
Ruth, I did contact the spca early last week. She talked to the inspector on my behalf, who then said, 'we are too busy'. So she has asked me to keep an eye on them over the next few weeks and if still no action, call her back! TOO BUSY!?! What makes it worse is that I have talked to him (one of the only times I have seen him) and said I am happy to feed them hay for him since he lives in the city, he said 'they have plenty of grass and they are fat' .... um, we live in rural canterbury where chance of snow is pretty high, and no there is no grass only old thistles!!!

Again, great job Flossie, you are a strong person and never gave up! Well done!

More
10 years 8 months ago #464923 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Calf sellers obligations?
Wow daerfaily, the SPCA is too busy to deal with welfare issues?
I thought there were specified rules about how often animals on a farm had to be checked?
I would be going to the paper firstly for the sake of the animals, and secondly maybe the spca, which does have specific powers ordinary citizens dont have, and see what kind of a news story there would be behind this one
I would not be very happy to get this kind of response from the SPCA, its a big thing to ring them in the first place to report someone, let alone their reaction

More
10 years 8 months ago #464924 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Calf sellers obligations?

daerfamily;466978 wrote: Ruth, I did contact the spca early last week. She talked to the inspector on my behalf, who then said, 'we are too busy'. So she has asked me to keep an eye on them over the next few weeks and if still no action, call her back! TOO BUSY!?! What makes it worse is that I have talked to him (one of the only times I have seen him) and said I am happy to feed them hay for him since he lives in the city, he said 'they have plenty of grass and they are fat' .... um, we live in rural canterbury where chance of snow is pretty high, and no there is no grass only old thistles!!!

Again, great job Flossie, you are a strong person and never gave up! Well done!

That doesn't surprise me at all! In my experience MPI and SPCA relish the one off cases where a good farmer or ignorant new comer takes their eye off the ball and falls short of one regulation or has an isolated case of neglect. Systemic neglect where the owner just doesn't care about anything....well that's too hard and they usually don't have the money to pay the fines. That's my very cynical view after farming next to a farm that should have been shutdown 50 years ago...

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
10 years 8 months ago #464925 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Calf sellers obligations?
Don"t be too quick to bag the organizations. They are operating with limited resources, staff cuts and in order to get a case to court they need people who are prepared to stand up and be witness's. Many people are happy to call anonymously, but at the end of the day its the evidence they can get before the judge. Its a difficult job where often if under investigation the evidence winds up in the offal pit.

More
10 years 8 months ago #464928 by daerfamily
I am calling the council next week on this guy as he has erected over a year or so about 10 sheds on the land, and I am pretty sure if his covenants are like ours, he is not allowed to do this. It is so scruffy and unkept you know those places you drive past where there is just tin and wood and stuff everywhere, well, thats him!! I will call the SPCA back next week as still have seen no sign of him, I pop my head over the fence every single day to check the state of the calves (well, one should be nearing 1 year old I would have thought!!!) ... they seem OK from a distance but obviously this wont last as the winter deepens (although sunny days are the norm at present)! They have access to water, though it is a very very dangerously fast flowing 'stream'!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #464931 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Calf sellers obligations?
Good on you DF (and Flossie [I'm whispering]). :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #464956 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle

Flossie;466939 wrote: 18 days after collapsing, she's off down the paddock with the others, so good to see.

Thanks for all your encouragement & advice, it's been great.

Great result :D Well done and all the best [;)]

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds