PoleTrimmers

More
10 years 10 months ago #35289 by Murray100
PoleTrimmers was created by Murray100
I have a lot of tall shrubs (Pittosporum, Grevillia, Manuka type of thing) that need the new growth trimming - about 2-4 M tall. As usual with such tools, looking at the hedge type pole trimmers available there are the cheaper 'home models' and the heavy duty Husqvarna and Stihls and nothing in between.

If all the trees were lined up, we probably have 200-300M to trim - but it would be less work than that length of actual hedge. We probably trim at least every 2 years on average.

I am thinking it needs to be solid & reasonably lightweight. The new Stihl battery unit is a possibility. My main concern is the battery which is about $350 and knowing how quickly they fail in drills and laptops I'm not sure about this - especially as the unit is about the same weight as a petrol one and not a lot cheaper. Otherwise the only options are Stihl & Husqvarna petrol units which are a bit more expensive than I would like and Echos which aren't a lot cheaper and I can't find any information about them.

Does anyone have any experience with these / ideas?

Murray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #462841 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic PoleTrimmers
After weeks of contemplating it I've just placed an order for a Chinese 52cc 'multi' tool brush cutter/hedge trimmer/pole saw off TradeMe. I was having the same issue you have - lots of really nice gear at the top of the spectrum price and quality-wise (Stihl and Husky, then a small step down to OleoMac, Echo, Honda, >>>>> right down to Homelite and Ryobi at the low end). Personally I'd love to get the Stihl but the powerhead alone is double what I paid for the Chinese set. Very happy with my Stihl MS341 chainsaw (bought second hand) but for the saving I'm taking the risk this time. Need a post auger shortly and it's the same story. If the Chinese unit is good I'll grab an auger off the same outfit.

When the brushcutter arrives I'm going to take some good photos and maybe some video and do a quick write-up. Nearly impossible to find any decent information on the web about the Chinese gear despite it being widely available via TradeMe etc. I know a few people that have Chinese motors on pumps and log splitters which seem to work well. A little rough (noisier and harder to start) but the massive price difference between a chinese motor and a japanese motor softens the blow!

More
10 years 10 months ago #462899 by Murray100
Replied by Murray100 on topic PoleTrimmers
I will be interested in your experience with the Chinese unit. I was tempted too, but I have had too many bad experiences with these "home" units so I am probably going to go for yet another Husky. I just found their multihead trimmer with a hedge trimmer, which is a little more 'reasonably' priced. There is also a Tandem with a Honda motor - a bit like the Chinese unit - which is a bit cheaper than the Husky, but I can't find anything about it.

We seem to be following the same paths! I managed to find an old Tanaka posthole borer which is fantastic - old technology but totally reliable and lots of power with a large auger which works well in our clay.

Otherwise I have eventually given in and upgraded 'home' products that were unreliable or poorly designed to Husky gear and haven't regretted it - apart from the lightening of the wallet! Being able to work all day without worries is almost worth the extra cost.

More
10 years 10 months ago #462948 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic PoleTrimmers
After researching the available 'combi' units we purchased a Husqvarna 'Multi Tool' system. Very similar to the Stihl combi but the line trimmer head is included in the basic unit price with Huskie (whereas for Stihl it is an 'extra' attachment) so making for a $300+ saving.

We use it mainly to prune trees before they cause problems with overhead lines but if you are planning on 2-300m worth of trimming you could cancel the upper body gym exercises [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 10 months ago #463007 by Murray100
This is the option that I have almost decided on too - which model did you get?

I'm certainly not planning on doing them all at the same time!

More
10 years 10 months ago #463022 by Organix

Murray100;464874 wrote: This is the option that I have almost decided on too - which model did you get?

I'm certainly not planning on doing them all at the same time!

327LDx Entry level commercial grade so light but tough, and 2 stroke to minimise maintenance and use the same fuel as the chainsaw etc. Negotiated the price down and purchased it 50/50 with a neighbour. We also co-own a Greenfields chipper so got our property maintenance options covered :D

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 10 months ago #463043 by Murray100
Thanks - that's what I looking at too. Good to know it does the work!

More
10 years 10 months ago #463074 by Organix
Also worth grabbing a 'quad blade', which could be negotiated into the deal. Works much better than a line trimmer on tough grass and light scrub IMO.

More
10 years 10 months ago #463108 by Murray100
I've been thinking about that as I have a Husky brush cutter which I could sell. The advantage of the brush-cutter is the harness and "handlebars" which make it good for all day work, so I'll see if the line-trimmer is as easy to use first.

Getting into negotiation and so this could be a good bargaining point!

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds