Gypsy Day

More
12 years 10 months ago #377340 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Gypsy Day

terralee;370081 wrote: So are you busy unpacking now ronnie :D ...Where and what have you ended up and how long for[;)]?????
Cheers

Have managed to unpack most of the crockery and cutlery so at least we can now eat properly again instead of takeaways [:I]

Cleared off the table so we can also eat at the table instead of balancing a plate on your knee.

We have ended up in a tiny place called Otama which is approx, 20kms west of Gore. We are just renting the house, which is part of a 300ha run off block, currently home to 100 heifer calves.

Huge, huge house - compared to the tiny one we have just come from.
Lovely setting, double garage plus a single garage/workshop for the business.

A tad knackered today so didn't get as much done as I wanted to. But we managed to get some rabbit ears for the telly's so at least we have channels 1, 2 and 3 until the Sky lot get organised in about 10 days.

Cats are settling in well, dog loves it here.

Still need to empty out old house and clean it out. Will take us most of this week to do so as have the sheds and garage to sort out as well. So a lot more travelling this week then it should be over.

Don't know how long we will stay here - depends on how long OH can put up with the travelling to work - but as he only works 5 months of the year, I am sure he will cope [;)] But I have no intention of moving again any time soon.

Now have a spare bedroom, so anyone travelling this way and looking for a bed, we are here :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #377356 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Gypsy Day
So you have bought[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0] not just taken it slow like we all advised:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
All the best ronnie ..hehehe ...at least I hope this is the last move for you ....when we do our next shift ...IT WILL BE IT !!@!! I can not do many / any more ...I am getting too old ...hope you settle in fast and it is everything you hope for[^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 10 months ago #377357 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Gypsy Day
What have you got and where have you ended up[}:)][;)] :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 10 months ago #31880 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Gypsy Day
The weather is great for this years Gypsy Day :)
Dairy farmers are on the move! It's that time of year when they move jobs taking everything from the cows and tractors to pretty much the kitchen sink[;)]

So if you see herds on the road, or a lot of extra trucks in your neck of the woods could y'all show extra tolerance please. It's very stressful, moving out on the 31st to take over the new farm on the 1st June.
And if you have new neighbours pop over to say g'day, it can be a very lonely time of year to move into a new district.

This year farmerdave and I are not moving yay. But we have been helping friends do the huge clean-up and pack so we are looking forward to it being over anyway[;)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 10 months ago #426783 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Gypsy Day
Hows things Drifter, waving to you!!!!!!!! Rae

More
11 years 10 months ago #426868 by drifter
:) waves back at Rae :)

Things are going o.k. Horse numbers dropping which feels *strange*

More
10 years 10 months ago #35194 by drifter
The weather is looking great for this years Gypsy Day.
Dairy farmers are on the move! It's the time of year when they move jobs taking everything from the cows and tractors to pretty much the kitchen sink!
This year is going to be extra difficult because it falls on Queen's Birthday weekend. Too much traffic and a shortage of trucks :( However, there will probably extra hands available because it's the weekend so hopefully it will even out.

So if you see herds on the road, or a lot of extra trucks in your neck of the woods could y'all show extra tolerance please. It's very stressful, moving out on the 31st to take over the new farm on the 1st June. There is not a lot of wiggle room with the days.

If you have new neighbours pop over to say g'day, it can be a very lonely time of year to move into a new district.

Again this year farmerdave and I are not moving yay. But we have been helping friends and family do the huge clean-up and pack so we are looking forward to it being over anyway.

More
9 years 10 months ago #37632 by drifter
It's that time of year again folks
June 1st dairy farmers/share milkers/farm workers etc are on the move. Well not all of them of course;)
In dairying areas you see lots of trucks moving them around. It's a huge undertaking shifting cows, tractors and implements, as well as the the household.
Sometimes you see the herd walking to their new farm, although that doesn't happen as often these days because there is just too much traffic on the roads.

So if you see herds on the road, or a lot of extra trucks in your neck of the woods could y'all show some extra tolerance please. It's very stressful, moving out on the 31st to take over the new farm on the 1st June.
And if you have new neighbours pop over to say g'day, it can be a very lonely time of year to move into a new district.

This year farmerdave and I are not moving yay, and aren't helping anyone else with the clean up and move yay. Everyone I know seems to be staying put this year.

More
9 years 10 months ago #487405 by drifter
Bump

More
9 years 10 months ago #487418 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Gypsy Day
Hey Drifter, if its alright with you this is a bit OTT of your thread, but why do so many dairy workers change their job/accommodation so regularly? Dont they have a choice to stay on with an employing farmer?

And (going from another forum I belong to) there seems to be a huge amount of upset as to the state of the houses they are moving to, ie either the house hasn't been maintained by the owners, or the former resident has left the place looking like a tip.

Don't future applicants check these things out before they accept a new position (such as an executive being offered a company car in his salary package would ensure its a new exclusive model) so they can compare apples with apples and not uproot a young family to something worse than they already have? ...

Many thanks,

More
9 years 10 months ago #487423 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Gypsy Day
Max some farm employees have to move to move up the ranks, some stay in the same place for years & years either advancing with that employer or happy with where they are. Others move on because of personal reasons(kids, wife/partner) or because they dont wish to stay in the same place for the next season for various reasons

My parents have one guy whos been with them for 11 years so far & other guys who are just about to start season 2 or 3. Some of the more recent past employees have gone 50/50 sharemilking or travelling

Its interesting seeing some people job history....some move every couple of years or even more often!

My OH(hes 33) worked with a young guy this past season who had been dairying for 6 years...they guy didnt have good things to say about his past employers...my other half was first year dairying & was above this guy. The 2IC on the farm was the young guys father & he soon realised that it wasnt his sons past bosses that were the problem.

Some people get dud bosses or other staff so they choose another job for the next season

with all the farms in NZ of course theres a lot of movement each year

Employees should be checking the house out at the interview & when it comes to moving in & theres broken things or its filthy rather than complaining online they should be asking the farmowner nicely to come & see the house

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 10 months ago #487442 by max2
Thanks KatieB for your reply. Its a closed group and whilst I don't know anyone there and appear to be the only member from my immediate area, I do get shocked at some of the comments and think as other members are working in the industry, some being employers, I would be mentally black listing them from any future employment possibilities for sure.

More
9 years 10 months ago #487456 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Gypsy Day
its amazing what people post online, ive seen a few people saying in groups on facebook they have applied for heaps of jobs and cant get them & they dont know why...other people have posted saying they arent surprised as the person has their FB profile completly open for all to see with photos of things that wouldnt appeal to employers ie drugs etc

I take on backpackers through the wwoof organisation, some wwoofers dont have much on their profiles, when you are inviting them into your home you want to know as much as possible...so if im not sure I just search for them on facebook to see if I can find out more....one girl a few years ago had a link to her blog & the latest entry was not nice about her hosts(not just one lot either)...needless to say we didnt say yes to her!

One group im in has a guy we interviewed for a job on our place, I dont know if hes worked out who I am though as he barely spoke to me at the interview so proberbly doesnt even know my name lol,,,based on a few of his posts im glad we didnt employ him....OH would have & my dad thought he was alright....I didnt so we didnt hire him

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 10 months ago #487476 by max2
The use of social media is growing and people need to be aware ''what is out there'' is out there. I have done the same with a former tenant and they usually pop up somewhere to be found.

OTT the tenancy tribunal orders are available on line these days and tenants who have defaulted are slowly realising its getting harder to find accommodation. Its been a great move esp. for private landlords, gives them something to check on instead of leaving themselves open to potential problems with a tenant with a bad record.

Speaking of which, how come dairy employees leaving a property, don't have to go through a tenancy type agreement process where regular checks are put in place on the condition of the property?

More
9 years 10 months ago #487542 by drifter
Ask away Max, I'll do my best.
The TM message boards farming section is not closed and has some robust discussions if you were keen to know more.

The reasons are mostly as Katie says, for advancement or it hasn't worked out for some reason.
Contracts for Sharemilkers and Contract milkers are on a fixed term basis too, three years used to be the norm but we are seeing lots of one year contracts now too. Some people move on because the farm owner wants to change the way they are doing things too. e.g Farm owner had a 50% sharemilker but decided that didn't give enough control over the farm so changed to a Contract milker. Or it happens the other way around with the Farm owner wanting to take a step back. 50% Sharemilkers own the herd and machinery. Contract milkers and Variable Order Sharemilkers usually own some machinery but not the cows.

Houses are getting way better. Part of the problem comes from an unclear line of responsibility as to who maintains the house. It shouldn't be unclear but I have heard discussions about whether it's the Sharemilkers or Farm Owners responsibility to maintain the farm assistants houses. The main reason imo is how difficult it is to get everything done on this one day. People simply run out of time. Yes the house should be cleaned prior to moving out...but so does the whole farm have to be up to scratch. House cleaning often gets left to the last minute...and then not done. If the Sharemilker is also moving then there are a whole lot of head-aches going on. Then also, you get your ordinary filthy people who simply don't care. Or those who say well it's better than when I moved in etc and of course standards between people vary a lot.

Things are a lot better than they used to be. Personally it's written into our contract how clean the house has to be...but you are under a lot of pressure to move in anyway because you can't stay where you were, kids and animals to sort, the truck getting antsy because they are on a tight schedule etc.
However, I wont take a job where the house is sub-standard. I think this is the best way to go about getting the accommodation standard improved by simply refusing to lower my own standards.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds