Gypsy Day

• Toni - Northland
14 years 10 months ago #272438 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Gypsy Day
Yep, you don't see the stock on the road like you used to. Hubby used to regularly shift sheep and cattle through the Dome Valley. He worked for an old bloke and he used to bring them from his 'run off', now all pine trees to his home farm. Couldn't be done these days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #272444 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Gypsy Day

4MyStandys;252629 wrote: Practically xmas :-)

Now you do know you are not allowed to use swear words on this forum, don't you[}:)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #23143 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Gypsy Day
It's that time of year again folks :)
June 1st dairy farmers/share milkers/farm workers etc are on the move. Well not all of them of course[;)]
In dairying areas you see lots of trucks moving them around. It's a huge undertaking shifting cows, tractors and implements, as well as the the household.
Sometimes you see the herd walking to their new farm, although that doesn't happen as often these days because there is just too much traffic on the roads.

This year farmerdave and I are joining the throng :) Lets hope we get a few breaks in the rain to get everything moved without getting too wet.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 10 months ago #330860 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Gypsy Day
Good luck with your move. Are you going far?

hilldweller

More
13 years 10 months ago #330866 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Gypsy Day

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #330926 by drifter
We are moving a couple of hours away. Still in the BOP but moving East :)
Our new place is not far from a good surf-casting beach, so we are hoping for a bit of fishing between milkings.

More
13 years 10 months ago #330963 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Gypsy Day
All the best glad we dont have that to look foreward too,hope you can get all done in the dry and all goes well

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 10 months ago #27396 by drifter
I've seen a few stock trucks and herds on the road already this year. As usual, it's filthy weather to be moving in :(

So, here's my annual reminder that it's Gypsy day next Wednesday :)
And dairy farmers/share milkers/farm workers etc are on the move with their herds and tractors and households.

We are staying put this year but will be out anyway helping friends move. It's such a huge undertaking shifting all that lot and usually you just get a 24 hour time frame to do it in.

So please be nice :) and be patient :)

More
12 years 10 months ago #377169 by drifter
bump

More
12 years 10 months ago #377170 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Gypsy Day
Probably won't see much out our way, but I am always patient when stick is being moved, unlike lots of people - tooting and pushing through.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 10 months ago #377194 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Gypsy Day
I was coming back from picking up some hay and up the road in front of me was a herd of dairy cattle being moved across the road. I slowed right down to a stop well before the herd and waited as they meandered across the road. They came and they came, one little group followed a cow back up the verge of the road towards me a little way. I sat, rolled a fag, and watched.... and smiled..... this is how it used to be and I loved it. Watching those cows, they knew where they were going, the break away group of about 5 had a bit of a munch and rejoined the herd as the farmer appeared. I had the window down and as the last cow wandered across followed by the farmer, I got a wave and we shared a smile.

As far as I'm concerned, if a herd or mob of anything is on the road, you give them distance and patience. You don't push your way through or sit there with your hand on the horn.... I mean, how rude is that?

Just enjoy the ruralness of it all.

Yakut

More
12 years 10 months ago #377195 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Gypsy Day
yakut.. i know just what you mean..a while back i had a job to do in the far north.. so off i drove bright and early.. i must hit about 6 herds crossing the road for milking during the course of my trip..i love the laid back meandering of the dairy herd, all knowing where they are off to and not a care in the world..met the same mobs coming back that evening.. back to their overnight pastures..

all around where i am used to be big farms .. dairy and dry stock.. so it was a common sight having the gates shut and a mob moving down the road.. not anymore,sadly.. all small blocks now, not a real farm for miles

More
12 years 10 months ago #377202 by Jen- Maromaku
Replied by Jen- Maromaku on topic Gypsy Day
Yep, 5 more sleeps till we move. Going down from 400 cows to 120 so only 3 truck and trailers, farm equip and truck for household stuff, chickens and cats in cages!
At least I wont have to clean anymore once we are there.. im having a week off!

More
12 years 10 months ago #377272 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Gypsy Day
Yes, with us moving this week as well (nothing to do with Gypsy Day) I had the sudden idea to hire a big truck. How lucky was I to actually get one plus 2 very obliging blokes to move all our furniture. What a blessing.
I shall be seeing the CEO of the moving company shortly (know him personally) and will be passing on my eternal gratitude.

More
12 years 10 months ago #377274 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Gypsy Day
So are you busy unpacking now ronnie :D ...Where and what have you ended up and how long for[;)]?????
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds